Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-03-2012, 07:28   #1
Clearpreso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 116
When do you think we'll have touchscreen laptops (in mainstream comps)

When do you think we will start seeing touchscreen laptops? Has to be soon enough right? I know they probably exist out there at present, but I mean touchscreen being included on flagship models, so lets say the next macbooks or any of the high level samsungs.

I'm not proposing that it would replace trackpads, but compliment them. I guess its pretty much here with the Asus tranformer prime, and with windows 8 looking like it will be very touch friendly... when will we see touchscreen laptops becoming mainstream? (Because if its soon enough I might not buy a new laptop till then!)

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to your views
Clearpreso is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2012, 09:50   #2
yeppydeppy
Registered User
 
yeppydeppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In a jailhouse - I'm the sheriff, don't ya know.
Posts: 889
It's just a fad - those toys will be used by marketing people until the novelty wears off. The rest of us will continue to do real work on real machines.
yeppydeppy is offline  
29-03-2012, 18:50   #3
Overheal
MegaMod X
 
Overheal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 37,095
Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Multi-Touch input devices already exist. Check out the Explorer Touch Mouse from Microsoft.

I find the whole concept of a touchscreen laptop a bit silly, but hey they made the ASUS Transformer didn't they.
Overheal is offline  
29-03-2012, 18:51   #4
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?
 
Karsini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dublin
Posts: 12,347
Send a message via Skype™ to Karsini
It won't be far away if Microsoft get their way with Windows 8.
Karsini is online now  
29-03-2012, 18:51   #5
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Bray
Posts: 26,056
Reaching over your keyboard to touch a screen and put a big fingerprint on it seems a bit silly to me.
o1s1n is offline  
Advertisement
29-03-2012, 18:56   #6
GarIT
Registered User
 
GarIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,297
I don't think touchscreen laptops are a good idea at all. Windows 8 is very difficult to use with a mouse or touchpad at times so maybe we might see a few by the end of the year.
GarIT is offline  
29-03-2012, 19:01   #7
GreenWolfe
Registered User
 
GreenWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bloated Museum of Treachery
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
Reaching over your keyboard to touch a screen and put a big fingerprint on it seems a bit silly to me.
Gorilla Glass with some kind of oil-repelling coating would solve that issue, I suppose. With the kind of margins that computer manufacturers are getting, I don't see it in the lower/mid end for a while. They'd have to engineer screen hinges and the surrounding to be stronger for laptops, that isn't cheap.

I'm surprised Microsoft aren't doing some kind of proper desktop interface for Windows 8 tbh (rather than yet another app on the Metro interface), are they just hoping businesses will keep buying Windows 7 licences?
GreenWolfe is offline  
31-03-2012, 23:07   #8
Clearpreso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeppydeppy View Post
It's just a fad - those toys will be used by marketing people until the novelty wears off. The rest of us will continue to do real work on real machines.
Hey now, I'm no touch screen fanatic, but I imagine there would be occasional uses for it and that it would be nice to have OPTION to have touch functionality.

I don't see myself leaving my mouse for most usage anytime soon, but I still think that touch/S-pen-esque functionality would be good to have as an option.
Clearpreso is offline  
01-04-2012, 11:23   #9
For Forks Sake
Registered User
 
For Forks Sake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rural Route 9
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearpreso View Post
When do you think we will start seeing touchscreen laptops? Has to be soon enough right? I know they probably exist out there at present, but I mean touchscreen being included on flagship models, so lets say the next macbooks or any of the high level samsungs.

I'm not proposing that it would replace trackpads, but compliment them. I guess its pretty much here with the Asus tranformer prime, and with windows 8 looking like it will be very touch friendly... when will we see touchscreen laptops becoming mainstream? (Because if its soon enough I might not buy a new laptop till then!)

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to your views

3 years ago..... http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/27/h...the-wild-we-g/
For Forks Sake is online now  
Advertisement
02-04-2012, 16:12   #10
stevenf17
Registered User
 
stevenf17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 267
First decent implementation of this is the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga, which is to be introduced before the end of the year!
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/l...dows-8-is-set/

Last edited by stevenf17; 02-04-2012 at 18:00. Reason: spelling
stevenf17 is offline  
02-04-2012, 17:23   #11
Torqay
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenf17 View Post
First descent implementation of this is the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga
Hardly innovative, more like a copycat of the Noahpad...



And Dell has this for quite some time

Torqay is offline  
02-04-2012, 18:12   #12
stevenf17
Registered User
 
stevenf17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqay View Post
Hardly innovative, more like a copycat of the Noahpad...

And Dell has this for quite some time
I never said it was innovative,
Just that in my opinion its the frist decent implementation of this form factor.

And that Dell.... I wouldn't put someone through the pain of having to use an atom processor!
stevenf17 is offline  
02-04-2012, 18:17   #13
guitarzero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,209
Well the thought of touch screen laptops has never ever crossed my mind, ever. But thanks for making apparent where this big, massive hole in my life has been all this time.

I suppose when everyone totally loses perspective on things and can actually afford to get a touch screen laptop fixed shall we see mindless consumerism back in full flow.
guitarzero is offline  
03-04-2012, 08:41   #14
For Forks Sake
Registered User
 
For Forks Sake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rural Route 9
Posts: 3,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenf17 View Post
I never said it was innovative,
Just that in my opinion its the frist decent implementation of this form factor.

And that Dell.... I wouldn't put someone through the pain of having to use an atom processor!
Dell very quietly discontinued that line having (slowly) realized no-one was insane enough to pay nearly 600 quid for a jumped up netbook.
For Forks Sake is online now  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet