Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spain in the euros

• 23-03-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

thinking bout having very large bet on spain,MY BIGGEST EVER,cant see em been beaten,or at least will have big money on em in the final at nice odds,what are peoples opinion on it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Its your money. What odds are you getting? What are the min odds you would have backed them at? Who will be their starting center forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

would be willing to back em around 5/2,no less than that tho,and would maybe hope to get around 11/4 maybe a special of around 3/1 closer the time,suppose its going to be torres and lorente as the main 2,but i feel they will coast to the final,just cant see them not in the final,feel its a good bet.

but im willing to have my mind changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

To qualify from the group is a massive odds-on bet, 1/9 with Paddy Power.

In the second round, they're likely to face either England or France (possibly Sweden, maybe even Ukraine). Depending on which of the four they get, their match odds would be anywhere from 1/3 to evens I'd imagine.

In a semi-final then, it would more than likely mix one of the sides from Group B (Holland, Germany or Portugal) where you would imagine the odds would again be just the short side of evens.

And in a final, depends on who they're playing again, but they would have to be odds-on favourites having got that far.

So you're looking at 1/9 to qualify from the group, say 2/3 from the q/final, 5/7 from the s/final and 4/5 to win the final. Combine the four and it works out at just under 5/1. They'd need to be less than 1/2 in the quarters and semi's to justify a price of 5/2 outright.

The reason they will be 5/2 with almost every bookies is that every man, woman and child will be backing them after the World Cup performance and the dominance of Spanish clubs in Europe lately. But the trouble with knockout tournaments, and Spain know it all too well, is that one bad or unlucky performance and you're out.

They are rightly favourites, and if my life depended on it I would look no further, but 5/2 seems a tad short to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

had a good sized bet on them to win the world cup and they were 5/1
    for me the euros this year would be a harder tournament to win,or as hard.
    but i dont see the point in backing any of the ther teams when looking for the outright winner,because it could be any one of 4,spain are the team to beat,but 5/2 is tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    To qualify from the group is a massive odds-on bet, 1/9 with Paddy Power.

In the second round, they're likely to face either England or France (possibly Sweden, maybe even Ukraine). Depending on which of the four they get, their match odds would be anywhere from 1/3 to evens I'd imagine.

In a semi-final then, it would more than likely mix one of the sides from Group B (Holland, Germany or Portugal) where you would imagine the odds would again be just the short side of evens.

And in a final, depends on who they're playing again, but they would have to be odds-on favourites having got that far.

So you're looking at 1/9 to qualify from the group, say 2/3 from the q/final, 5/7 from the s/final and 4/5 to win the final. Combine the four and it works out at just under 5/1. They'd need to be less than 1/2 in the quarters and semi's to justify a price of 5/2 outright.

The reason they will be 5/2 with almost every bookies is that every man, woman and child will be backing them after the World Cup performance and the dominance of Spanish clubs in Europe lately. But the trouble with knockout tournaments, and Spain know it all too well, is that one bad or unlucky performance and you're out.

They are rightly favourites, and if my life depended on it I would look no further, but 5/2 seems a tad short to me.

I would say your odds are on the generous side there. Against England or Sweden I would say 1/3 tops to qualify for semis (forgetting about 90 mins betting). France maybe 1/2 but that would be top price. Semis against Germany or Holland, maybe 4/6 and probably the same in final. Maybe even lower. At those odds an accum would be slightly over 7/2 but that's if you can get those prices which I feel are even optimistic. 5/2 is a fair price IMO but not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Ze Germans are the only side I can see beating them, if any!

Advertisement