Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-03-2012, 18:51   #1
johngalway
Closed Account

Spot spraying advice - creeping thistles and docks,

Evening folks,

I saw my first creeping thistle rear it's thorny ugly head on St. Patricks day. I used something called "high grass" on them last year but I'm not all that convinced that will kill them off long term - and that is my goal, eradication. What is the best spray to use from a spot sprayer for creeping thistle? (Thistlex maybe? But I've never seen it for sale here).

Also docks, have an increasing amount of them around the shed and I also want them gone, same question, what's best and when to spray them?

Thanks in advance,

John
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 20:36   #2
nilhg

You are talking about using a knapsack? Depending on how extensive the problem is would Roundup/Glyposate be an option?
21-03-2012, 20:58   #3
johngalway
Closed Account

Only a small number of docks to be honest, but I want rid of them before they start spreading too much. I was never gone on glypho, would rather something weed specific. The creeping thistle, on the other hand, if they come back as bad s they were last year there will be a lot of them.
21-03-2012, 21:04   #4
nilhg

Something like pastor would probably be a catch all for both, putting it on in a spot situation you could really saturate the thistles, they are normally hard to wet properly.
22-03-2012, 08:05   #5
padowado

I found Nettle ban or bandock very good
Advertisement
22-03-2012, 15:39   #6
PatQfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by padowado View Post
I found Nettle ban or bandock very good
Me too. By far the best either knapsack or sprayer.
22-03-2012, 22:04   #7
Good loser

I would go with roundup/glyphosate with knapsack.
22-03-2012, 22:18   #8
Farmer Pudsey

D50 will kill thistles docks are another issue Grazon, bandock or if you are in a tillage area get some Allay from a tillage store you can use it around a yard it is off label for use on docks in grassland.
22-03-2012, 22:32   #9
Richk2012
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngalway View Post
Evening folks,

I saw my first creeping thistle rear it's thorny ugly head on St. Patricks day. I used something called "high grass" on them last year but I'm not all that convinced that will kill them off long term - and that is my goal, eradication. What is the best spray to use from a spot sprayer for creeping thistle? (Thistlex maybe? But I've never seen it for sale here).

Also docks, have an increasing amount of them around the shed and I also want them gone, same question, what's best and when to spray them?

Thanks in advance,

John
Id be leaning towards Pastor or Thistlex. Usually i apply pastor but the year before last i couldnt get it , so i was recommended Forefront . Super stuff altogether but cant seem to source any out my way .
Careful of spraydrift though , its lethal !!!!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion