Ryanairs new seat reservations policy - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-03-2012, 08:42   #1
homerjay2005

Ryanairs new seat reservations policy

first off, im one of ryanairs biggest fans and i normally defend them to the hills on here, i used them about 60 times a year.

however, their recent venture to pre book the emergency exit seats, concerns me. twice in the last 4 weeks, ive been on flights that have been 95% full, but the emergency seats were the ones not used. surely this is a safety concern and the exit rows should be filled first, once they know they have not been pre booked?

i normally wait until the queue is gone to board the plane, meaning im one of the last onto the plane and recently, despite their not being seats available for my group to sit together, weve been refused to sit in these seats, leaving them empty for the flight. one one occasion, the stewards told us "get out of there" in a very rude manner, which we have since complained about, so obviously they are under strict instructions not to allow people to sit there, unless the have paid for it or the flight is 100% full

so, in the event of an emergency, who will open the doors? are they ensuring that the people who sit in the seats immediately next to the doors are not children/mobility impared so that there are no delays to open the doors. are they telling those people, how to open the doors?

surely this practice is not allowed?
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 09:20   #2
Xpro

same happend to me, we boarded and the emergency seats were empty. After we took off i asked if i could move the seats to emergency.
No Sir you havent paid the reservation for those seats. a bit over the top if you ask me. Aerlingus has pretty much the same policy, but they have no problem you sitting there if the seats are unoccupied
21-03-2012, 09:24   #3
scudzilla

All seems a bit ridiculous to me. In the event of a crash it's always been said that seconds saves lives, as in the quicker the doors open the more lives saved. If nobody is sitting in these seats then that could well cost peoples lives in the event of a crash.
21-03-2012, 09:28   #4
CricketDude

Take photos and send them to them to whichever safety regulation authority they fall under. eg caa or iaa

Maybe take a video on your phone of the next incident and send it to the media as well as the regulators.

It wont be long until these airlines are doing things like increasing the intervals between maintenance services on the planes either. Its a race to the bottom - at 500mph.
21-03-2012, 09:41   #5
highlydebased

Apparently they are already being investigated because of it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...xit-seats.html
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 09:42   #6
lord lucan

Not sure how much truth there is to it but I was told in work that the IAA are looking into this

Edit :looks like it's true so.
21-03-2012, 09:43   #7
sbsquarepants

When did this come in? I usually get the priority boarding to avoid the que and then make a beeline for the emergency seats! I haven't flown since January though, there was no problem then. How much does it cost?

I'm also generally a big fan of ryanair, i always find it amazing the way people complain about how badly they treat their customers, all the while forgetting that before they came about, aer lingus and co, treated theirs fantastically by charging £300+ to fly to bloody England! But that was fine cos they gave you a sandwich and a cup of tea!
If you buy the sambo and the tea off ryanair, you're still 200 quid better off, do you still think aer lingus gave it to you for free!!
(2) thanks from:
21-03-2012, 09:50   #8
View Profile

It is a safety risk and as mentioned the IAA are "apparently ??" looking into this.

Briefing people sitting in the rows forward or aft of the emergency exits seats on how to operate the door is not good enough in my opinion, especially as these people may not the able bodied.

Cop on Ryanair!
(2) thanks from:
21-03-2012, 10:16   #9
COYW
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
I usually get the priority boarding to avoid the que and then make a beeline for the emergency seats!
Was just thinking the same thing the other week when I last flew Ryanair. I don't think you can access the emergency rows with priority boarding. So is it more cost effective to buy the seat as opposed to priority boarding?
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 14:27   #10
Zyox

Send a message via MSN to Zyox
Quote:
Originally Posted by COYW View Post
Was just thinking the same thing the other week when I last flew Ryanair. I don't think you can access the emergency rows with priority boarding. So is it more cost effective to buy the seat as opposed to priority boarding?
I'm pretty sure buying the seat gives you priority boarding included.
Even if it doesn't what's the rush? Board last and walk to your seat.

Apart from that I don't like this "no-one in the emergency seats unless paid for" nonsense one bit. Should be like Aer Lingus. If they're empty a passenger should be moved there to operate the exit in case of emergency. That's just common sense.
21-03-2012, 14:43   #11
eagerv

Flew with Air Asia last week and they operate the same system as Ryanair. ie, you only sit at an emergency exit if you have paid extra, albeit a lot less than Ryanair. They call them red seats, because of their colour. All these seats were empty on my two flights, something I did not feel comfortable with.

Otherwise Air Asia was a very pleasant experience, a fellow passenger was celebrating his birthday and was called up to front and given present, cake etc!
21-03-2012, 15:35   #12
Neworder79

Where can you book seats on Ryanair site, I see reference to it in their rules pages but no way to actually book them?
21-03-2012, 15:39   #13
thebiglad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworder79 View Post
Where can you book seats on Ryanair site, I see reference to it in their rules pages but no way to actually book them?
Certain routes only presently but no doubt will be rolled out. If they are an option be sure that Ryanair will ensure you have to deslect these too
21-03-2012, 18:04   #14
APM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglad View Post
Certain routes only presently but no doubt will be rolled out. If they are an option be sure that Ryanair will ensure you have to deslect these too

Its all routes now, done when buying your ticket or added as a manage my booking
21-03-2012, 19:17   #15
mp22

Is it possible when you are on the flight to hand over the tenner and sit in the seat?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion