Mahon Tribunal report - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-03-2012, 14:27   #61
Ellis Dee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Co. Laois and northern Europe
Posts: 2,485

Fifteen years and a quarter of a billion euro to find out something the dogs in the street already knew: Ireland has some of the best politicians that money can buy and a lot of fat cat capitalists were willing to help line their pockets in return for preferential treatment that helped them shaft honest citizens. The most worrying aspect of the summary of the report I have read is that at least some Gardai seem to have been, at best, less than diligent in the performance of their duty and, at worst, downright involved in illegality of the "protect influential politicians" kind in addition to the "framing innocent people" kind that we already knew about from Donegal and elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to reading the full report, but expect that it will not lead to anyone being jailed. At best, sez I the eternal optimist, controls will be tightened up, the media will become more vigilant, and political corruption will, over the long term, be reduced to something like the level that the Nordic countries are lucky to be able to boast of.


Last edited by Ellis Dee; 22-03-2012 at 14:30.
Ellis Dee is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-03-2012, 14:29   #62
raymon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,440
I'm sure the Sunday (FF Newsletter) Independent is working overtime to make the report sound less damaging to FF
raymon is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-03-2012, 14:41   #63
timesnap
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post
I'm sure the Sunday (FF Newsletter) Independent is working overtime to make the report sound less damaging to FF
The most dignified thing they could do is disband at this stage.
they might not have been the only guilty party but they were by far the worst as details unfold.
good god people are excusing Bertie now because of his role in the GFA,someone should tell them that one right does not excuse his many wrongs.
timesnap is offline  
22-03-2012, 14:47   #64
jmayo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,078
Just listening to discussion on Liveline and someone said that if ahern was brought to court today he would not be found guilty of anything.

But if a normal member of society was found to have had large cash transactions, in and out of bank accounts at their disposal, that they can not provide adequate documentation to prove the authenticity of those funds, then they could be investigated by CAB and Revenue.

Now I think it is vital that CAB and Revenue investigate ahern and flynn much like they have investigated john gilligan or any other criminal.

Where are the differences between gilligan claiming funds in his accounts were from gambling and the claims made under oath by b ahern ?

Last edited by jmayo; 22-03-2012 at 15:00.
jmayo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-03-2012, 14:48   #65
Laminations
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Fifteen years and a quarter of a billion euro to find out something the dogs in the street already knew:
The dogs on the street may have known but I can't recall the number of (mostly FFers) who wouldn't make their mind up about Bertie until the report was released and Mahon told them how to think. Well now the report is out. I'd love to hear from these posters. I won't mention them by name because that'll be deemed as 'getting personal' but you know who you are.

So if you've waited until Mahon is published to comment, well it is published.....so comment?
Laminations is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-03-2012, 14:53   #66
BlaasForRafa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BlaaCity
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by timesnap View Post
The most dignified thing they could do is disband at this stage.
they might not have been the only guilty party but they were by far the worst as details unfold.
good god people are excusing Bertie now because of his role in the GFA,someone should tell them that one right does not excuse his many wrongs.
Indeed. Lets not forget that it wasn't just Bertie that was up to shenanigans, Padraig Flynn, Ray Burke and Liam Lawlor were also up to their oxters in corruption. MM may try and draw a line on it by expelling Ahern but I can't see how that will remove the taint of dodginess from FF.
BlaasForRafa is online now  
Thanks from:
22-03-2012, 14:56   #67
timesnap
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayo View Post
Just listening to discussion on Liveline and someone said that if ahern was brought to court today he would not be found guilty of anything.

But if a normal member of society was found to have had large cash transactions, in and out of bank accounts at their disposal, that they can provide adequate documentation to prove the authenticity of those funds, then they could be investigated by CAB and Revenue.

Now I think it is vital that CAB and Revenue investigate ahern and flynn much like they have investigated john gilligan or any other criminal.

Where are the differences between gilligan claiming funds in his accounts were from gambling and the claims made under oath by b ahern ?
Its a good question jmayo,does anybody know could CAB's terms of reference allow those mentioned in the report to be treated like any other criminal?
my understanding of CAB is it does not need as much evidence to investigate how people have their wealth or properties beyond their declared income
timesnap is offline  
22-03-2012, 15:01   #68
SeaFields
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gone fishin'
Posts: 4,622
Mod: Angling
It was mentioned almost immediately by the government, once the details became clear, that the report would be passed on to the Garda Commissioner, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Revenue Commissioners and to the Standards in Public Office Commission.
SeaFields is offline  
Thanks from:
22-03-2012, 15:12   #69
timesnap
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFields View Post
It was mentioned almost immediately by the government, once the details became clear, that the report would be passed on to the Garda Commissioner, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Revenue Commissioners and to the Standards in Public Office Commission.
All of the above are somewhat implicated in at least turning the blind eye.
only for costs i wish an international body of some kind could investigate,pity we are such a small Country that we do not have something like the feds in the US.
timesnap is offline  
Advertisement
22-03-2012, 15:16   #70
Dodge
Registered User
 
Dodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by timesnap View Post
All of the above are somewhat implicated in at least turning the blind eye.
only for costs i wish an international body of some kind could investigate,pity we are such a small Country that we do not have something like the feds in the US.
The 'never-been-involved-in-any-scandal-ever' feds? What TV world do you live in?
Dodge is offline  
22-03-2012, 15:18   #71
jank
Registered User
 
jank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 10,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
The systematic corruption within the political system is just sick.
Kinda ironic saying that when your party FF were at the heart of it.
jank is offline  
Thanks from:
22-03-2012, 15:21   #72
jonsnow
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFields View Post
It was mentioned almost immediately by the government, once the details became clear, that the report would be passed on to the Garda Commissioner, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Revenue Commissioners and to the Standards in Public Office Commission.
Where it will sit quietly gathering dust
jonsnow is offline  
Thanks from:
22-03-2012, 15:25   #73
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jank View Post
Kinda ironic saying that when your party FF were at the heart of it.
Indeed, and that does not make it any more acceptable in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsnow View Post
Where it will sit quietly gathering dust
Most likely unfortunately - just look at the Moriarty Tribunal. One year exactly to the day since it was published and there has been absolutely no movement on any sort of disciplinary action being taken against those who were implicated in its findings.

Last edited by Sierra Oscar; 22-03-2012 at 15:28.
Sierra Oscar is offline  
22-03-2012, 15:36   #74
timesnap
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
The 'never-been-involved-in-any-scandal-ever' feds? What TV world do you live in?
I will answer you Dodge when i get clarification from a mod that it is ok to reply to you in the way i would wish to.
timesnap is offline  
22-03-2012, 15:46   #75
woodoo
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,168
I believe the disbandment of Fianna Fail would be good for this country. They are the party of corruption and chicanery. Cleanse politics here by getting shot of them.

Ceremonially bury corruption with them. Then come down like a ton of bricks on anyone that dare to do wrong in politics from here on in.
woodoo is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet