Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-03-2012, 23:42   #31
ronanc15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schorpio View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a present for someone who is mad into their photography. I know she has a Canon 500D, and only one lens, so I was thinking of getting her a new lens. The trouble is I know absolutely nothing about camera lenses! Would there be any lenses for €100 or less which would offer any improvement over the (standard?) lens she has already got?

Cheers!
As Zero said your best/only real option is the Canon 50mm f1.8. Cracking lens for 100 bucks!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-04-2012, 11:56   #32
eagle10

New camera Ideas

Hi all I recently purchased a Olympus epl1 and really enjoy using it having great fun and also purchased a second lens 40-150.
I am considering buying another camera if I can pick something up second hand. Just something with a bit better image quality and in time more choice of lens available to get second hand.
Here is spec of epl1 pulled from Wikipedia

Sensor Four Thirds System 18.00 × 13.50 mm Live MOS
(12.3 megapixels)
Shutter 1/2,000 to 60 s – 30 minutes bulb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_PEN_E-PL1

Also something with perhaps better options for bracketing.
I was thinking maybe a canon 400d but dont really know what to do
04-04-2012, 02:29   #33
Dools2007

Help on buying a bridge camera

Looking for a camera for taking photos of newborn. Also, would like something pretty good for outdoor shots from time to time.

I am a relative newbie although I had the FZ38 which I liked but wasn't the best in low light conditions and the newer Panasonics seem to suffer from this also so this is one of the reasons that I am not rushing out to buy one again.

Trying to decide between Panasonic FZ-45 / 48 and the Nikon P500 and the Canon SX40

I think the Nikon and Canon would be better in low light conditions and also would like to see the high speed movie capture, sounds like a cool feature but is it overrated?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?
04-04-2012, 12:20   #34
hbr
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dools2007 View Post
Looking for a camera for taking photos of newborn.
Newborns are not too difficult at first, but they become progressively more
difficult as they get older. Indoor shots of fast moving toddlers can be
very tricky unless you use flash.

Quote:
Also, would like something pretty good for outdoor shots from time to time.
Outdoor shots in good light are relatively easy. Just about any camera
can produce good results in these conditions.

Quote:
I am a relative newbie although I had the FZ38 which I liked but wasn't the best in low light conditions and the newer Panasonics seem to suffer from this also so this is one of the reasons that I am not rushing out to buy one again.
The FZ38 was one of the better bridge cameras. I have the older FZ28 which
is also great in good light, but not good for low light or the worst case scenario
of fast action in low light. This is an inherent limitation of superzoom/bridge
cameras which have a very small image sensor and a slow (small aperture)
lens.

Quote:
Trying to decide between Panasonic FZ-45 / 48 and the Nikon P500 and the Canon SX40
None of them are ideal for your indoor shots. Of the available bridge cameras,
the Canon SX40 and the Panasonic FZ150 are probably best in class. Both
can be fitted with an external flash for the more challenging indoor shots.

These cameras are relatively big and quite expensive. I think
a camera with a larger image sensor would be better value for
the money. You have a few choices:

A compact camera with a larger sensor and fast lens.
Pansonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1, Canon S100... These
cameras trade zoom range for better low light performance.

EVIL/mirrorless/interchangable-lens camera.
Panasonic or Olympus Micro-Four-Thirds. Sony NEX. Samsung Nxxx.
Better low light performance and IQ than a compact. The better ones
like the Panasonic G3 are close to DSLR quality.

Basic DSLR
Canon 1100D, Pentax K-r, Nikon 3100....

Probably the best option for your stated requirements. Best quality
but potentially more expensive if you decide to buy extra lenses, flash etc...

Quote:
I think the Nikon and Canon would be better in low light conditions and also would like to see the high speed movie capture, sounds like a cool feature but is it overrated?
It can be useful to have the ability to shoot HD movies. Your FZ38 makes a
reasonably good camcorder in good light. Shooting movies with a still camera
and particularly with some DSLRs can be difficult and frustrating because they
don't have proper full-time autofocus. I believe the Sony SLT cameras can
overcome this limitation. If video is a priority, they might be a good option.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_SLT_camera
04-04-2012, 20:46   #35
roisiny

What camera should I buy?

Okay guys, bare with me, I'm new to boards.
What I need in a camera:
♫ Fast shutter speed, suitable for taking pictures of horses in mid-jump (I do an awful lot of horse riding, show jumping, hunting etc, so I need a camera which my dad\mom\friend can just click and it takes)
♫ Produces good quality pictures in any setting (current one has about 15 settings and only one isn't blurry, which is black and white
♫ Optical Zoom. All ones I;ve had have been digital, and I've been doing research online, which says I want optical, as I;d need it for zooming in without loosing quality.
♫Something that can take videos with pretty good quality.
*edit* I'll also need it to have a memory card that I can put into computer and download photos without too much hassle.

Also... Would it cost much more to get a rechargeable one? I don't really want to have to keep buying batteries for it
I am in Sligo
Thats about it. I'm willing to spend about 100€ which I know is nothing but I don't have that much to spend, as I'm 13 and this is coming out of my birthday cash.

Last edited by roisiny; 05-04-2012 at 10:08. Reason: more info to add
Advertisement
04-04-2012, 21:43   #36
bbbbb

Happy birthday!
You should probably have a look at the faq:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055243345
My suggestion would be to have a look on adverts.ie for a second hand bridge camera.
http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/photo.../196/q_bridge/

Edit:
this one is asking €120, get one of your parents to see if you can negotiate it under 100 (assuming you're in Dublin)
http://www.adverts.ie/digital-camera...y-card/1505954

Last edited by bbbbb; 04-04-2012 at 21:47.
08-04-2012, 09:46   #37
rustbucket

Advice re lens- Sigma or Tamron

Hi

Recently purchased nikon d3000 with 18-55 lens. Looking to get a lens suitable for shooting sports pics.

My budget is pretty low so looking at 2 options for 70-300mm lens

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on which one is better- Sigma or Tamron?

Have found 2 with autofocus features that are apparently compatible with the D3000

Sigma one for €139
http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/...-dg-macro.html

Interestingly the same one is being sold by cons cameras for €249. Non motorised version is €149

or Tamron one for €129

Any advice appreciated

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=eur
08-04-2012, 11:43   #38
fox007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
Hi

Recently purchased nikon d3000 with 18-55 lens. Looking to get a lens suitable for shooting sports pics.

My budget is pretty low so looking at 2 options for 70-300mm lens

Does anyone have any advice or opinions on which one is better- Sigma or Tamron?

Have found 2 with autofocus features that are apparently compatible with the D3000

Sigma one for €139
http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html

Interestingly the same one is being sold by cons cameras for €249. Non motorised version is €149

or Tamron one for €129

Any advice appreciated

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=2376&setcurrency=eur

Hi I have the exact same set up as you 18-55 and I bought that sigma 70-300,I cannot not fault it from a zoom lens and the macro is great too very sharp! Now it depends on what sports your looking at if your trying to zoom into people and blur out the background neither lens will do that for you @300mm zoom the lowest F you will get down to is F5.6 and that will not do.If I had the money it be a Nikon 70-200 F2.8. going to the USA in the Sumer so I'm going trying to try get one there,
To give you a better idea on the capabilities on each lens head on to Flickr.com and search for both lenses it will give you plenty to look at and a better idea which is better in the field your looking into.

Don't forget there are loads of good second hand lenses on adverts.ie
Good luck
08-04-2012, 16:42   #39
codrulz

nikon d3000 what lens?

Hi, recently got a Nikon D3000 in argos (on sale to € 339) it's a great camera but I only have the 18-55mm that come with the camera. I want to get another lens for wide angle shots but also a large zoom any lens like this? if not I wouldn't mind getting 2 if they're not too pricey!
Advertisement
09-04-2012, 20:24   #40
Tragedy

Send a message via Yahoo to Tragedy
There've been an awful lot of offers on the Panny GF3 w/ 14-42mm lens over the last week, and Panny are offering a £50 rebate on them too. Price is generally £199.99 after rebate, but Jessops have the GF3 + 14mm pancake lens + 14-42mm lens for £329.99 after rebate.

Seems to be a fantastic price and the two lens offer decent flexibility, anyone have any opinions on it?
10-04-2012, 00:27   #41
St3ph3n

Hey everyone got a Canon 550D recently, i'm a bit underwhelmed by the performance of the kit lens though! So i've decided to save up for a couple months and invest in a L series lens. Can anyone recommend a L series lens that'll serve as my 'walk around lens'?Also, in the future I plan to upgrade to a full frame DSLR so it would be great if the lens in question would be equally good without the 1.6 crop factor!Thanks any help would be appreciated!
10-04-2012, 05:25   #42
geoffraffe

New Lens time

Hi,

I've a canon rebel xti. I'm using the 50mm 1.8 fs more than the other 2 lens' I have (box lens and 300mm) and I'm looking to upgrade at the minute.

I love the light on the nifty 50 and I'm looking to keep this sort of lighting effect on my new lens, but with zoom. I'm not sure what zoom range I need, hence the post. I mainly shoot people and some landscapes.

Is there any lens that you might recommend.

Thanks so much.
10-04-2012, 06:08   #43
pete4130

Sigma 18-50 2.8 macro is a good choice. It's not as bright as the 50mm 1.8 but its Sigma pro quality lens. I've had one before on a Nikon D200 and loved it on the crop sensor.
Thanks from:
10-04-2012, 08:23   #44
CabanSail
Category Moderator

Send a message via MSN to CabanSail Send a message via Skype™ to CabanSail
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffraffe View Post
Hi,

I've a canon rebel xti. I'm using the 50mm 1.8 fs more than the other 2 lens' I have (box lens and 300mm) and I'm looking to upgrade at the minute.

I love the light on the nifty 50 and I'm looking to keep this sort of lighting effect on my new lens, but with zoom. I'm not sure what zoom range I need, hence the post. I mainly shoot people and some landscapes.

Is there any lens that you might recommend.

Thanks so much.
For shooting portraits the nifty fifty is your man.

For the Landscapes you don't need fast glass as you will be stopping down for a wide DoF. I quite like the Sigma 10-20 on a cropped sensor. It's a good workhorse lens and great value for money. It can also be useful for group shots.
Thanks from:
10-04-2012, 08:36   #45
DotOrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3ph3n View Post
Can anyone recommend a L series lens that'll serve as my 'walk around lens'?Also, in the future I plan to upgrade to a full frame DSLR so it would be great if the lens in question would be equally good without the 1.6 crop factor!Thanks any help would be appreciated!
Canon 24-70 f2.8 is the main lens for a lot of people
alternative, if you don't mind not having f2.8 is the 24-105 f4

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion