Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-03-2012, 19:19   #1
teednab-el

multiswitch

Can a multiswitch distribute signals to 4 receivers using a twin feed from Satellite
dish? Does it work?
Advertisement
09-03-2012, 19:42   #2
Ronnie Raygun
Banned

A multiswitch needs 4 feeds from a quattro lnb (4 fixed feeds). Some will work with quads.
09-03-2012, 23:46   #3
teednab-el

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun View Post
A multiswitch needs 4 feeds from a quattro lnb (4 fixed feeds). Some will work with quads.
I saw some multiswitch devices on eBay that have two inputs and 4 outputs. Wondering is that possible to connect two feeds to this and output to 4 receivers.
09-03-2012, 23:57   #4
The Cush

Quote:
Originally Posted by teednab-el View Post
I saw some multiswitch devices on eBay that have two inputs and 4 outputs. Wondering is that possible to connect two feeds to this and output to 4 receivers.
Link?

The frequency range 10.7 - 12.75 GHz is split into 4 bands and you could have a number of receivers connected to the multiswitch with each viewing a programme from a different band hence the reason you will require 4 feeds from the LNB.

1. Lo-Band 10.7-11.7 GHz Horizontal polarisation
2. Lo-Band 10.7-11.7 GHz Vertical polarisation
3. Hi-Band 11.7-12.75 GHz Horizontal polarisation
4. Hi-Band 11.7-12.75 GHz Vertical polarisation

Last edited by The Cush; 10-03-2012 at 00:13.
Thanks from:
10-03-2012, 00:19   #5
teednab-el

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Quote:
Link?

The frequency range 10.7 - 12.75 GHz is split into 4 bands and you could have a number of receivers connected to the multiswitch with each viewing a programme from a different band hence the reason you will require 4 feeds from the LNB.
I will put up the link here in a bit.

I can't believe in this day of age that there isn't a unit out there that can solve the above problem that converts two feed signals to four. Hardly that impossible now is it. Drilling more holes in the wall is just messy.
Advertisement
10-03-2012, 00:20   #6
watty

Absolutely impossible to convert 2 ordinary Ku band feeds to 4.

C band only needs two feeds for a Multiswitch.

There are "special" LNBs that can feed 12 boxes or so from a single cable. But you also need a "special" Satellite receiver.
(2) thanks from:
10-03-2012, 00:32   #7
The Cush

Quote:
I can't believe in this day of age that there isn't a unit out there that can solve the above problem that converts two feed signals to four. Hardly that impossible now is it.
Obviously it is.

Fibre optic LNBs are the latest development in this area but at a cost - http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/overview....d=12&subcat=66
Thanks from:
10-03-2012, 02:11   #8
teednab-el

Here is what I found early on. Probably would not work anyway but Il put it up anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SW24-MULTI-S...ht_2186wt_1168
10-03-2012, 02:44   #9
The Cush

Quote:
Here is what I found early on. Probably would not work anyway but Il put it up anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SW24-MULTI-S...ht_2186wt_1168
Not suitable, for use in the USA on the Dish Network.

Some examples of what you're looking for
http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_o...d=12&subcat=11

The first example can use either a standard Universal quad or a quattro LNB. The second requires a quattro only.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2012, 03:02   #10
teednab-el

Quote:
Not suitable, for use in the USA on the Dish Network.

Some examples of what you're looking for

The first example can use either a standard Universal quad or a quattro LNB. The second requires a quattro only.
Cheers.

Sorry for all the questions but in the first example there, do I need 4 feeds down from the quad lnb to connect to this multiswitch? I thought it was said on here that I couldn't do it with only two feeds.

I have an quad lnb installed on my dish with only two feeds coming down to my satellite receiver. I have a sky+ box and a FTA satellite receiver connected to the same tv. I have the two feeds connected to the sky box and no feed is connected to the other FTA satellite box. The reason I want the FTA satellite receiver there is that it has an EPG for Channel 5, 5 USA, 5*, UTV, ITV channels that the sky box doesnt have and I hate the way the sky box is set up for tuning in the channels not on the sky card and no info displayed. The FTA satellite box is better in that sense and all I want to do is switch to this box when browsing to the above channels.

Last edited by teednab-el; 10-03-2012 at 03:06.
10-03-2012, 03:13   #11
The Cush

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions but in the first example there, do I need 4 feeds down from the quad lnb to connect to this multiswitch? I thought it was said on here that I couldn't do it with only two feeds.
You can't do it with 2 feeds from a quad, you require all 4. The multiswitch then takes one band from each of the 4 feeds.

Quote:
I have an quad lnb installed on my dish with only two feeds coming down to my satellite receiver. I have a sky+ box and a FTA satellite receiver connected to the same tv.I have the two feeds connected to the sky box and no feed is connected to the other FTA satellite box. The reason I want the FTA satellite receiver there is that it has an EPG for Channel 5, 5 USA, 5*, UTV, ITV channels that the sky box doesnt have and I hate the way the sky box is set up for tuning in the channels not on the sky card and no info displayed. The FTA satellite box is better in that sense and all I want to do is switch to this box when browsing to the above channels.
You could simply run another feed from the quad LNB to the FTA sat receiver (or two feeds if it's a PVR type) no multiswitch required.

Whichever way you go you will require a min of three feeds for the two receivers from the LNB or a multiswitch.
Thanks from:
10-03-2012, 03:42   #12
teednab-el

Quote:
You can't do it with 2 feeds from a quad, you require all 4. The multiswitch then takes one band from each of the 4 feeds.

You could simply run another feed from the quad LNB to the FTA sat receiver (or two feeds if it's a PVR type) no multiswitch required.

Whichever way you go you will require a min of three feeds for the two receivers from the LNB or a multiswitch.
I could run another feed down but the wires are going through the front wall of the house and two wires as it is looks desperate. A third wire would not look too good in the front of house. Its just the way the house was built.
10-03-2012, 09:07   #13
The Cush

Quote:
I could run another feed down but the wires are going through the front wall of the house and two wires as it is looks desperate. A third wire would not look too good in the front of house. Its just the way the house was built.
Typical Sky install I guess.

Is there any co-ax cable routed inside the house for a regular TV aerial?
Thanks from:
10-03-2012, 10:45   #14
Ronnie Raygun
Banned

Quote:
The reason I want the FTA satellite receiver there is that it has an EPG for Channel 5, 5 USA, 5*, UTV, ITV channels that the sky box doesnt have and I hate the way the sky box is set up for tuning in the channels not on the sky card and no info displayed. The FTA satellite box is better in that sense and all I want to do is switch to this box when browsing to the above channels.
Can't you just take a feed from the lnb-out of the FTA receiver (Triax 537?) & loop it to 1 of the Sky box inputs if you're only going to be using one receiver at any given time? (Wasn't this exhaustively explained in another thread?)
10-03-2012, 17:19   #15
Peter Rhea
Banned

Quote:
I can't believe in this day of age that there isn't a unit out there that can solve the above problem that converts two feed signals to four. Hardly that impossible now is it.

There are devices that can frequency-shift the feeds from an lnb such as the stacker/destacker which can feed 2 tuners with a single cable run between the stacker & destacker units.

Also the single cable distribution system already referred to above, where each receiver is allocated its own operating bandwidth & all channels are converted to this frequency before being sent on a single cable serving multiple users, which can simply be tapped into at each receiver point.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion