Allowing Test Drives when selling - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-03-2012, 15:00   #31
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathepac View Post
Incorrect. The potential buyer needs a "Driving Other Cars" extension on his policy.
Incorrect. The potential buyer needs a "Driving Other Cars" extension on his policy.

Lads in fairness OP has asked for help with a problem. If you don't know the rules & regs please don't post or give inaccurate information; the consequences might be serious. What happens in Poland or elsewhere is all Off-topic as it has no bearing on OP's situation.

If you want to accuse me or report me for back-seat modding, be my guest.

OP if you have an account on askaboutmoney.com login over there and have a look at a key-post I wrote for Brendan a couple of years ago about selling your car. HTH

I thoght "third party extension" was just a different name of "driving other cars extension".
Whatever it's called it's still the same.

Beside, we are just chatting here on the subject or around.
That's what the forum is for, really.
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 15:04   #32
Merch
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiniO View Post
What I meant is just if car is registered in the country once (when it's new or imported secondhand), receives a registration number, and since then it's regsitered at all times, until it's scrapped or exported. That's it.
So generally speaking every car must have at least third party insurance at all times.
And yes - it is cheap.
Depends on engine size, owners age and NCB, usually between €60 and €250 per annum.

When I said I was fussy[/B], [B]I meant that I need to go through a good few cars to see and check, before I could decide to buy that one which was the best, in oppose to people who just go, take a quick look at car and buy it.
Apologies, I'm a bit confused, you seem to say it happens when the car is registered first (you say, thats it), AND you also say it is annually (at maybe 60 to 250 euros).

So it is an annual payment?

Last edited by Merch; 02-03-2012 at 15:06. Reason: eliminate confusion in my reply
02-03-2012, 15:09   #33
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch View Post
Apologies, I'm a bit confused, you seem to say it happens when the car is registered first (you say, thats it),

AND you also say it is annually (at maybe 60 to 250 euros).
So it is an annual payment?
No no...
From the moment car becomes registered first time in the country (aquires registration number) owner must make sure it is insured until the vehicle is sccraped or exported.
Insurance is the same like in Ireland provided by insurance company in a form of annual policies, which cost 60 to 250.
Hope that's understandable now.

Speaking in other words, if you own a car, you must have it insured at all times.
There is no such thing, that you decide not to use a car, keep it at your driveway and don't pay insurance. No such thing. You have to pay insurance no matter if you intend to drive it or not.

Last edited by CiniO; 02-03-2012 at 15:11.
02-03-2012, 15:16   #34
Merch
Closed Account

Quote:
I thoght "third party extension" was just a different name of "driving other cars extension".
Whatever it's called it's still the same.

Beside, we are just chatting here on the subject or around.
That's what the forum is for, really
I agree, anyone would be foolish to take advice here and apply it without confirming it to be accurate, its a bit of informal sidetracking.

Quote:
No no...
From the moment car becomes registered first time in the country (aquires registration number) owner must make sure it is insured.
Insurance is the same like in Ireland provided by insurance company in a form of annual policies, which cost 60 to 250.
Hope that's understandable now.
I understand now, same as Ireland really.

Anyway, from the OPs perspective, I'd be checking to see someone IS actually covered and licenced to drive the vehicle they are selling, even though a lot of people seem to have a very lax understanding/view of insurance on test drives, certainly I would never allow someone to drive a car on their own if I was selling it, to ensure they didnt do anything crazy or disappear. I'd want to make sure they and I were covered as much as is reasonably possible, some people seem not to mind at all.
02-03-2012, 15:22   #35
Whyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildare.17hmr View Post
Friend of mine ended up in court a few years ago for letting a lad drive his car, they guy told him he had insurance and even showed a policy. Anyway he walked out of court a grand out of pocket because of it and got points or an endorsment on his licence, cant remember which but his insurance went up after it too
I would be worried about this
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 15:25   #36
Whyner

Here's another thing, there's is no tax on the car, make a difference?
02-03-2012, 15:30   #37
Merch
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyner View Post
I would be worried about this
Why? that was a few years ago, not even that poster? do you mean something else?

Quote:
I'm beginning to wonder about this thread now, right, first off, No Tax, then you cannot be on the road (shouldn't be, and shouldn't need to ask really, I mean if you really don't know, by all means, ask, but people should know that).
Also, I dont mean to be a pedant but,
"There's" means "there is" adding an "is" afterwards is redundant sorry, its like reading, "there is is".

So back to the first quote, why should he be worried??? I'm lost on that one?

Last edited by Merch; 02-03-2012 at 15:34. Reason: punctuation :)
02-03-2012, 15:38   #38
Whyner

Quote:
Why? that was a few years ago, not even that poster? do you mean something else?

I'm beginning to wonder about this thread now,
right, first off, No Tax, then you cannot be on the road (shouldn't be, and shouldn't need to ask really).
Also, I dont mean to be a pedant but,
"There's" means "there is" adding an "is" afterwards is redundant sorry, its like reading, "there is is".

So back to the first quote, why should he be worried??? I'm lost on that one?
Lighten up. I added 's by mistake, well spotted, go log a bug

The car is off the road since end of Jan when the tax expired. Why would I renew it when I have a new car?

I'm not sure I understood the story of the friend above but getting done for allowing someone to drive your car is not appealing to me.

"I'm beginning to wonder about this thread now, " What on earth does this mean?
02-03-2012, 15:39   #39
Johntegr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathepac View Post
That's just a sub heading of the policy. On my certificate of insurance there's just that.

The heading says "Driving other cars"

It then says that "All named drivers on this policy can drive a vehicle under 3rd party cover ONLY provided that such vehicle is not owned by the proposer, does not exceed the value of €50,000,is not modified, is road worthy, has valid tax and is not owned by a member of the trade."
Quote:
No tax = It shouldn't be on the road.
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 15:42   #40
CiniO

Quote:
I understand now, same as Ireland really.
After all that, you completely missed my point.
The point was - that it's significently different that Ireland.
In Ireland you have to do really much to make sure no one is driving uninsured. If you want your friend to drive for you as your are tires, you have add him to your insurance policy which might be difficult especially on weekends or evening. If you are selling a car there is a problem as well.
If you forgot to inform your insurance company about any fact about you or car, you might not be insured. Generally speaking, you have to really do a lot to make sure that everyone and everytime is insured while driving your car.
People very often don't care, f.e. with test-drives like described in this thread, and therefore there is quite a lot of uninsured drivers on Irish roads.

In Poland it's the insurance legislation which ensures everyone is covered, and therefore cases of someone driving uninsured nearly doesn't happen.

That's the difference.
02-03-2012, 15:46   #41
Whyner

Quote:
After all that, you completely missed my point.
The point was - that it's significently different that Ireland.
In Ireland you have to do really much to make sure no one is driving uninsured. If you want your friend to drive for you as your are tires, you have add him to your insurance policy which might be difficult especially on weekends or evening. If you are selling a car there is a problem as well.
If you forgot to inform your insurance company about any fact about you or car, you might not be insured. Generally speaking, you have to really do a lot to make sure that everyone and everytime is insured while driving your car.
People very often don't care, f.e. with test-drives like described in this thread, and therefore there is quite a lot of uninsured drivers on Irish roads.

In Poland it's the insurance legislation which ensures everyone is covered, and therefore cases of someone driving uninsured nearly doesn't happen.

That's the difference.
Exactly, it's a pain in the hoop. We're not great with cars and laws over here
02-03-2012, 15:48   #42
Jimmy Bottlehead

I still find it insane that the seller let me test drive his Honda S2000 with him not being in the car with me.
If I was selling her in the morning, there's no chance I'd let a stranger head off in my car without me here.

Sound chap though
02-03-2012, 15:51   #43
Anan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bottlehead View Post
I still find it insane that the seller let me test drive his Honda S2000 with him not being in the car with me.
If I was selling her in the morning, there's no chance I'd let a stranger head off in my car without me here.

Sound chap though
And you bought the car. I've done it myself, for the right potential buyer.
02-03-2012, 15:51   #44
Whyner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bottlehead View Post

Sound chap though
Why did he not get in the car with you?
02-03-2012, 16:04   #45
Merch
Closed Account

Quote:
Lighten up. I added 's by mistake, well spotted, go log a bug

The car is off the road since end of Jan when the tax expired. Why would I renew it when I have a new car?

I'm not sure I understood the story of the friend above but getting done for allowing someone to drive your car is not appealing to me.

"I'm beginning to wonder about this thread now, " What on earth does this mean?
Well, I did apologise in advance , we seem to have a communication difficulty, I have no idea what log a bug means now?

I meant, Im beginning to wonder because, I wasn't sure if you or the thread was serious at all, honestly thats what i thought when you ask at the start about insurance then only mention way after about tax.
If you dont have one or the other then you cant be on the road with that car.
Well and good if you aren't aware, then you have to ask, better to than not, but really drivers should be aware they need both.

For you own sake, ensure you and your car is covered somehow when out on the road with test drivers as if they knock someone down or hit a car, you likely may be screwed and it wont be worth it. If you have no tax they or you may be in trouble.
Re the renew tax, why you would renew it is so it can be on the road, just cos you have a new car doesnt mean this one shouldnt be taxed also, its not great but its an added selling point plus test drivers may not appreciate you having no tax and them driving it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion