Gaa - Page 11 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Gaa mad
don't care about gaa 124 43.36%
sort of like it. 41 14.34%
Love the sport 116 40.56%
don't mind playing it but can't watch it 5 1.75%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

02-03-2012, 17:29   #151
Duckworth_Luas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
its football, the governing body is FIFA ...International Federation of Association Football
Association Football it is then, or soccer for short!
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 17:41   #152
fryup

reminds me of this....

02-03-2012, 17:54   #153
flanders1979
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlandsmissus View Post
You don't think young lads are pressured into playing GAA?
It might keep them out of trouble in a lot of cases.
02-03-2012, 17:54   #154
flas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Macnulty View Post
Greatest amateur sports organisation in the world.

Thank god it doesn't normally attract the scumbag fans you see at soccer games. Can go to any ground in Ireland without intimidation (unless you look for it!)

The GAA have the best stadium in Ireland and that's a credit to an amateur organisation.
this posts annoys me, simply because i can go to any football(soccer) ground in the country and never feel intimidated!i have been to all bar 2 in both premier and first division and have only once seen a fight,which was between two lads pissed supporting the same team!go to gaelic football matches regularly in both my home and neighbouring county and have witnessed a ridiculous number of fights between fans from different sets of supporters!the gaa has a far worse record for crowd violence in this country than football ever will!thats a fact,look up all the articles,even starting with under 14 county finals and stuff lile that,its an issue that needs to be taken more seriously in the organistion!
Thanks from:
02-03-2012, 18:01   #155
Owen_S

I appreciate the skill and effort involved and respect GAA more than ****e like cricket, but I still don't care about it.
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 18:13   #156
entropi
Mark It Zero!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
the GAA the sport & leisure wing of Sinn Fein
And your location says you are on planet earth...are you sure about that?

I've loved GAA since I was a child tbh. Used to play rounders as a child, and played hurling as an adult (I aim to pick up my hurley during the summer and play with my club once again). If I can, I'll watch it when it's on tv, and go to some games when I can (college games, and county). Dont get me wrong, I'm not a die hard fan, or anything like it...but there's something about the GAA games that is special to me, and hurling is an amazing sport to watch, playing it can be tough, but fun.
02-03-2012, 18:15   #157
ItsAWindUp
Closed Account

I strongly dislike it
02-03-2012, 18:19   #158
Gallant_JJ

Love it, 3 greatest games in the world.
02-03-2012, 18:20   #159
cocoshovel
Closed Account

I dont mind the sport at all, but the GAA as an organization and managers are complete fools. I deal with them and hear about people I know who have to deal with them regularly and they're just a mess. Some of the actions they make and things they ask/say is downright infuriating.
Advertisement
02-03-2012, 18:29   #160
chughes

I went to a Christian Brothers school in the 1960's. They put me off the GAA for life with their pro-GAA anti-soccer rantings.
02-03-2012, 19:00   #161
billyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTigs View Post
Love hurling, fantastic game so great to watch.

Absolutely can't ****ing stand Gealic football. It's ridiculous, all that pulling and dragging, there's no flow to it whatsoever. It must have the lowest skillset of any team sport anywhewre. dreadful dreadful game.

And it's all they know how to play in mayo which says it all really
Feel the exact same. I love the hurling but I am starting to get bored watching Gaelic football. Hurling is a fantastic sport. The fastest field game in the world. I used to love Gaelic Football but have grown tired of it.
02-03-2012, 19:47   #162
Jimmy Macnulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flas View Post
this posts annoys me, simply because i can go to any football(soccer) ground in the country and never feel intimidated!i have been to all bar 2 in both premier and first division and have only once seen a fight,which was between two lads pissed supporting the same team!go to gaelic football matches regularly in both my home and neighbouring county and have witnessed a ridiculous number of fights between fans from different sets of supporters!the gaa has a far worse record for crowd violence in this country than football ever will!thats a fact,look up all the articles,even starting with under 14 county finals and stuff lile that,its an issue that needs to be taken more seriously in the organistion!
Your talking complete nonsense
02-03-2012, 19:48   #163
Jimmy Macnulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chughes View Post
I went to a Christian Brothers school in the 1960's. They put me off the GAA for life with their pro-GAA anti-soccer rantings.
We live in a different world. the GAA is not ruled by the christian brothers anymore
03-03-2012, 05:39   #164
FierceMild

Sorry if this point has been posted already, but I find it amazing that people here are posting that Gaelic football is somehow inferior because it requires less of a skill set than other sports such as soccer or rugby e.g it's merely kicking, catching and running etc.

By the same token tennis isn't really a proper sport since all it requires is hitting a ball with a racquet. Same with any kind of athletics. Isn't it merely running and jumping essentially? Sure anyone can do that!

The point is that it dosen't matter how difficult it is to catch and kick a football but rather the level it is played at. Colm Cooper or Peter Canavan wouldn't be lauded as such great sportsmen if they were competing against sunday pub teams constantly instead of the top players from the thousands that play the sport on this island. For example, their ability to land a point from an angle that allows less than 2 ft of error from 25 yards with 82,000 people watching is an example of extreme proficency in a difficult skill, and should be applauded as such.

Anyone can run 100 metres, but it takes years an individual who has gone through years of practicing proper running technique and physical conditioning as well as mental prepartation to run 100 metres in under 10 seconds for one specific race against other top athletes.

I won't even start on hurling cos anyone who says that hurling dosen't require much skill has obviously never played the sport competively.
(4) thanks from:
03-03-2012, 06:03   #165
KeithAFC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
http://www.independent.ie/national-n...l-3037630.html

The GAA has shown itself to be the most bigotted, petty minded sports organisation.

Its' history is littered with crap like The Ban whereby grown meant went to watch other sports and if they saw other GAA members there, they'd write their names down in a little book and run back to the local clubhouse and rat on them.

Real f***ing hard men, eh?

And then there are its very close links to the child rapists of the Catholic church, even allowing some RC bishops to throw the ball in at a match while kitted out in their religious dresses. How open minded is that towards those of other religions and none?

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned how some "foreign" sports were banned from their ground (like football and rugby) while others like boxing and American football were more than welcome. Nice bit of hypocrisy there....

And then there is the ban they imposed on certain Irish people from being involved in their sports.....

Inclusive? Community minded?

You must be joking.

The GAA simply reflects everything about small minded Ireland.
You wouldn't know it though seeing as how the GAA as an organisation itself has sweeped a lot of that under the carpet. I'v always seen it as an organisation designed for one community.
Thread Closed