Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2012, 13:13   #16
tk123

I was expecting to scroll down and see that he was ok! Poor dog and poor OP
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 13:25   #17
jayteecork
Banned

I stumbled on this thread by accident and now I'm very sad for you and your dog
01-03-2012, 13:45   #18
wetdogsmell

border terriers were originaly for hunting badgers and foxes. badgers will run if they can rather than stand and fight. as for snares, they irish goverment sets snares every year to control badgers and tb, a much crueler death than shooting them (which you would be jailed for) its just cheap and effective
01-03-2012, 14:27   #19
tazwaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishmilla View Post
Poor little guy didn't make it, i'm heartbroken.

Homer, didn't know such a horrible device even existed. Please pm me the number of your wildlife service contact and I'll contact them myself.

oh god that's awful news. you poor thing, it must have been an awful shock to you.
01-03-2012, 15:49   #20
barbiegirl

Really sorry for you and your family OP. I'll be keeping a good eye on my two for this when we're out off leash
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 17:26   #21
Darkginger

So sorry to hear the news. I can only imagine how awful you're feeling right now, and know there's not much anyone can say to make that any better - but just wanted to offer a virtual hug.
Thanks from:
01-03-2012, 20:44   #22
Birdnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdogsmell View Post
border terriers were originaly for hunting badgers and foxes. badgers will run if they can rather than stand and fight. as for snares, they irish goverment sets snares every year to control badgers and tb, a much crueler death than shooting them (which you would be jailed for) its just cheap and effective
Yes - TB culls are carried out by government licenced persons. Otherwise the species is fully protected.
01-03-2012, 20:52   #23
200yrolecrank
Closed Account

Very sorry to hear about your poor dog passing,it's not easy when you lose a pet.
My sincere good wishes for you during such a crap time.
01-03-2012, 21:03   #24
Traonach
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdogsmell View Post
A badger in a snare is a terrible sight. They basically tear themselves apart trying to get free. I saw one in a snare beside a ditch, they had the ditch dug out around the snare.
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 23:15   #25
wetdogsmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traonach View Post
A badger in a snare is a terrible sight. They basically tear themselves apart trying to get free. I saw one in a snare beside a ditch, they had the ditch dug out around the snare.

that was my point, it could take days to die, theirs kinder ways of culling them, but none as cheap, thats why there used
02-03-2012, 15:40   #26
callmekenneth

ah that's a shame sorry to hear it
03-03-2012, 14:04   #27
Solair
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsobusy View Post
I'm not badger bashing! I like badgers but it killed my dog seemingly unprovoked. It's a wild animal, they are unpredictable. As I said it was probably a female protecting her earth!

And walking on a neighbours farm recently I picked up a badger snare, unsnared and I told the farmer and he said he had picked up one a few weeks before that. I can't tolerate things like that at all. But do not tell me not to badger bash!!!!
Eh, your dog was hunting... (as stated in your first post).
Those are the hazards of hunting!

I'd say your dog should pull through though if he/she gets the correct treatment, which it sounds like he/she is!

Last edited by Solair; 03-03-2012 at 14:09.
03-03-2012, 14:57   #28
Discodog

I have rescued a lot of injured Badgers & been with them in the wild. I have spent many hours, during the night, close to Badger sets even when young are around. They never attacked unless provoked. Even then their standard defence is to charge at whatever is threatening them. Whenever this happened with my own dogs it wasn't a problem because the dog ran away. However if the dog is of a breed with a hunting instinct or has been encouraged to hunt then it may hold it's ground & seek a confrontation that it will lose.

It is dreadful that we deem snaring to be a cruel death & then justify it on the grounds that it is cheaper than vaccination.
03-03-2012, 15:04   #29
Noopti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solair View Post
Eh, your dog was hunting... (as stated in your first post).
Those are the hazards of hunting!

I'd say your dog should pull through though if he/she gets the correct treatment, which it sounds like he/she is!
A. The person you are responding to is not the OP
B. The OP's dog actually didn't pull through in the end.

Last edited by Noopti; 03-03-2012 at 15:06.
Thanks from:
04-03-2012, 00:47   #30
Bishmilla

Thanks for all your kind words. Miss the little guy so much, I just can't believe he is gone. Feeling so sad and horribly guilty about the whole thing.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion