General Election 2012 - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for? General Election 2012
Fine Gael 84 27.54%
Fianna Fail 24 7.87%
Labour 22 7.21%
Sinn Fein 110 36.07%
Green Party 12 3.93%
Spoiled Vote 24 7.87%
Wouldn't Vote 29 9.51%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 03:03   #46
crapmanjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by eth0 View Post
Sinn Fein, not because I like them so much but because they havn't had a chance to disappoint me yet

Also missing option: Independents. If SF get into power make a balls of it thats all I'll have left to vote for
Under no circumstances will I ever vote for Sein Fein because ( in my opinion) they have absolutely no business in politics within the 26 counties. Also wouldn't want to vote for a party with historical / on going links tomorganized terrorism. Also hate Gerry
crapmanjoe is offline  
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 03:11   #47
nice_very
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by crapmanjoe View Post
Under no circumstances will I ever vote for Sein Fein because ( in my opinion) they have absolutely no business in politics within the 26 counties. Also wouldn't want to vote for a party with historical / on going links tomorganized terrorism. Also hate Gerry

ok first off Im not a member of any party, I do lean strongly towards Sinn Fein, but who would you prefer to be our "leader"? a teacher from Mayo who had a 5 point plan (was that him fisting the Irish people? ) constantly contradicts himself, is made fun of by a french midget, speaks badly about his fellow countrymen in front of world media... or a man internationally recognised for having played a major part in bringing an end to a bloody war in our country negotiating with "enemies" and proving that we have moved on from the past and are trying to be a progressive independent nation
nice_very is offline  
Thanks from:
01-03-2012, 03:18   #48
K-9
Moderator
 
K-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Donegal
Posts: 34,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_very View Post
so where are SF getting all their new support from?? it couldnt be disillusioned FG LAB FF voters could it?? or maybe there are thousands coming south from Belfast/Derry just to participate in polls, and then joining boards.ie to participate in this poll

I dont like repeating myself, but in this case I will do it til the cows come home...... LOL at all the anti-Sinn Fein people on boards, U GOT IT WRONG, your parties fcked up the country and now you lot are trying to nitpick at a party that offer some kind of a reasonable solution..
Shinners tend to be very aware internet wise, the Boards GE poll a good example, FG/FF under estimated, SF/Labour over estimated. Demographics of the site and the internet and all that.

Going on the last election, disillusioned FF voters went to FG, I'd say disillusioned Labour voters are going SF. This isn't a new phenomenon.

Remember Labour being the No.1 party about 18 months ago in a poll, and Gilmore got all uppity and headstrong based on 1 opinion poll, thinking he was taking over the world in pinkey and the brain style!?

Shinners keep saying it will be different, apparently "up here, as in the North, is completely different". Don't you be worrying your wee heads about coalitions and all all that nonsense, that's the Brits forcing stuff.

Last edited by K-9; 01-03-2012 at 03:22.
K-9 is offline  
Thanks from:
01-03-2012, 03:30   #49
nice_very
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
Shinners tend to be very aware internet wise, the Boards GE poll a good example, FG/FF under estimated, SF/Labour over estimated. Demographics of the site and the internet and all that.

Going on the last election, disillusioned FF voters went to FG, I'd say disillusioned Labour voters are going SF. This isn't a new phenomenon.

Remember Labour being the No.1 party about 18 months ago in a poll, and Gilmore got all uppity and headstrong based on 1 opinion poll, thinking he was taking over the world in pinkey and the brain style!?

Shinners keep saying it will be different, apparently "up here, as in the North, is completely different". Don't you be worrying your wee heads about coalitions and all all that nonsense, that's the Brits forcing stuff.
ok K-9, I will keep LOLing though, theres more polls than internet polls and boards polls that say the same thing.. SF in govt with FG would be explosive to the point of having to debate and compromise, maybe then WE the Irish people wont have to suffer too much longer, not under british rule, but our own failed govts
nice_very is offline  
01-03-2012, 03:36   #50
sdeire
Northsider
 
sdeire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Co. Dublin
Posts: 5,817
Send a message via MSN to sdeire Send a message via Skype™ to sdeire
I jumped on the anti-FF bandwagon and look where it's got me -though I justify that decision by reminding myself that FF continuing in government would probably have ruined us. In reality, they're as bad as each other. At least the smaller parties, though being perceived as more "extreme" in views (SF/SP etc) stick to their guns.

FF and FG really havent changed from their 1922 origins - FF are so stubborn to get what they want that they fall asunder and cause chaos - they did it in 21, almost again in 1970, and pretty much for the last 20 years - and FG have a total lack of any backbone whatsoever and keel over to pressure from Europe, but amazingly not to pressure from the Irish people. How oddly reminiscent.

I feel it is a civic duty to vote rather than a democratic right. However I'm fast running out of trustworthy options. I have avoided ever voting SF thus far because I oppose their links with terrorism, however tenuous, it just didnt seem right. But I think come the next election, they really will be the only viable option. And as a result of this thinking, not just by me but by many, they could very easily see a role in government in the next election or the one after it.

What the country needs is a new political party. My political views would be largely in line with FF, but in practice their sheer ineptitude and corrupt backbone have coroded the basic principles into mush.
sdeire is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 03:40   #51
AskMyChocolate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark200 View Post
Biggins its a pity you don't understand the difference between a FG Govt. and a FG/LAB coalition Govt. It's no use just grabbing whatever you want from the FG manifesto and calling it a broken promise.... compromises obviously had to be made with Labour and vice versa

I've corrected you on some of the ridiculous points that you seem to still be comfortable repeating. I'll cover a few of them again.

1. Losses HAVE been imposed on classes of bondholders (Junior bondholders).

2. Recapitalisation - Varadkar wasn't speaking the FG line on the issue, and its unfair to even imply that many people had known he had said that before they voted. Also, apparently the Govt has not put in any more money than what the previous Govt had already committed. But still, taking one quote from one minister that contradicted everything else FG had been saying, and claiming it represents FG policy is unfair.

3. I'm not even sure what your point titled "EU-IMF deal" is even trying to say.

4. Review on USC - the charge was reduced (abolished?) for low income earners afaik.

5. Public sector cuts - again, this point is another example of where you take the opinion of one member of one party and attempt to pass it off as some sort of joint FG/LAB policy. Even still, Theres nothing contradictory between opposing a pension levy but not opposing pay cuts

6. New Era funding - if you paid any attention at all, you would have heard that this aspect has been renegotiated to an extent

7. State assets: it has been renegotiated down to 3bn.

8. Upward only rent review - has it not been stated clearly that such legislation is simply not possible, due to the constitution?

9. Severance pay - the only big payoffs that are continuing are the ones for contracts that were agreed by previous governments.

10. Constitution day - it was announced the other day that preparations are in full swing.

11. Jobs budget, afaik this was renamed to 'initiative' before the election. Even still, I don't see how the fact that it was revenue neutral can warrant a complaint. Are we only allowed to like things that increase our deficit?

12. Seanad Reform - just do a quick Google and you'll find many articles saying its on the way. IIRC its due up this year


I hope you're not going to play the "oh don't blame me I was just copying and pasting" card.

The only reasonable complaints are the occasional PFG ones and the internal things (advisors, appointments etc)
Just a couple of points on the bolded items:

1) Having accused the previous government of everything from disgraceful behaviour to economic treason do you not think it would have been incumbent on the government to advise the electorate PRIOR to the election that it intended to uphold and continue with this treasonous activity?

2) Given your almost obsessive preoccupation with the honouring of contracts and commitments undertaken by the previous government, could you tell me when FG/ Labour intend to honour the commitment given to the Irish Citizenry that 25% of all new housing would be set aside for social housing? With the size of NAMA's portfolio a good proportion of this contract could now be honoured, or is it only commitments/contracts, engaged in with (mostly) foreign big business that need to be honoured?

3) Could you explain whether Kevin Cardiff was promised his €276k p.a sweet deal in Europe, by the previous government, or whether, it was this government's idea to recommend him for a job he is plainly unfit and unsuited to hold given his prior position/performance in the DoF?

After all, most people are aware that FG find brown envelopes rather sordid, when plum jobs in Europe/semi-state bodies/banks are a far more "civilised" way of rewarding "party loyalty" and "service".

Does Fine Gael's campaign for change not sound revoltingly disingenuous even in your own ears now, given it's post-election adherence to virtually every FF policy. As for the cowardly way, it blames FF for it being obliged to pursue policies and actions it wants to follow anyway, well, that I simply find stomach-churning. You obviously don't.
AskMyChocolate is offline  
(4) thanks from:
01-03-2012, 03:46   #52
K-9
Moderator
 
K-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Donegal
Posts: 34,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_very View Post
ok K-9, I will keep LOLing though, theres more polls than internet polls and boards polls that say the same thing.. SF in govt with FG would be explosive to the point of having to debate and compromise, maybe then WE the Irish people wont have to suffer too much longer, not under british rule, but our own failed govts
I think you've nearly gathered my point, pretty close but as a poitical realist who has followed political history, both North and South, it will be SF trying to wag the dog as much as it can and FG will have huge internal difficulty with that tail.

The PD's and Alberts comments come to mind "this little temporary arrangement" come to mind. FG would only take on SF if they'd play a poodle and a well trained one at that.

SF face a huge task in the next election to gain a big amount of seats, they're like FF under Haughey, transfer toxic. FF/FG/Labour core voters aren't going to transfer to them which means they'll need 22/23% to break through the 20 seat barrier.

Labour could get 33 seats odd in 1992 with less votes, but transfer friendly. FG maybe a mathematical possibility but it maybe better SF ignore Govt. A FF/Lab/SF coalition would be a better bet.
K-9 is offline  
01-03-2012, 03:48   #53
nice_very
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeire View Post
I jumped on the anti-FF bandwagon and look where it's got me -though I justify that decision by reminding myself that FF continuing in government would probably have ruined us. In reality, they're as bad as each other. At least the smaller parties, though being perceived as more "extreme" in views (SF/SP etc) stick to their guns.

FF and FG really havent changed from their 1922 origins - FF are so stubborn to get what they want that they fall asunder and cause chaos - they did it in 21, almost again in 1970, and pretty much for the last 20 years - and FG have a total lack of any backbone whatsoever and keel over to pressure from Europe, but amazingly not to pressure from the Irish people. How oddly reminiscent.

I feel it is a civic duty to vote rather than a democratic right. However I'm fast running out of trustworthy options. I have avoided ever voting SF thus far because I oppose their links with terrorism, however tenuous, it just didnt seem right. But I think come the next election, they really will be the only viable option. And as a result of this thinking, not just by me but by many, they could very easily see a role in government in the next election or the one after it.

What the country needs is a new political party. My political views would be largely in line with FF, but in practice their sheer ineptitude and corrupt backbone have coroded the basic principles into mush.
and I would say you are not alone in your thinking sdeire, its just a pity it has taken these extremes to give SF a chance, if they get that chance and fcck up, I too will criticise them, like I hope every Irish person would (and should be doing with our present govt)

I would also be open to a new party, should they have ideals and policies in line with my own..
nice_very is offline  
Thanks from:
01-03-2012, 04:05   #54
nice_very
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Waterford
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
I think you've nearly gathered my point, pretty close but as a poitical realist who has followed political history, both North and South, it will be SF trying to wag the dog as much as it can and FG will have huge internal difficulty with that tail.

The PD's and Alberts comments come to mind "this little temporary arrangement" come to mind. FG would only take on SF if they'd play a poodle and a well trained one at that.

SF face a huge task in the next election to gain a big amount of seats, they're like FF under Haughey, transfer toxic. FF/FG/Labour core voters aren't going to transfer to them which means they'll need 22/23% to break through the 20 seat barrier.

Labour could get 33 seats odd in 1992 with less votes, but transfer friendly. FG maybe a mathematical possibility but it maybe better SF ignore Govt. A FF/Lab/SF coalition would be a better bet.
this cracks me up!! you think SF would bend over and take it up the political ass from FG..? if they do I will never vote for them again, they know that people see that and its not in their or the country's interest..

the time of FF FG LAB domination of Irish politics is coming to a close, as a lot of politicians say - we need a new Ireland, so lets change the policies and bullsh1t
nice_very is offline  
Advertisement
01-03-2012, 04:15   #55
K-9
Moderator
 
K-9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Donegal
Posts: 34,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_very View Post
this cracks me up!! you think SF would bend over and take it up the political ass from FG..? if they do I will never vote for them again, they know that people see that and its not in their or the country's interest..

the time of FF FG LAB domination of Irish politics is coming to a close, as a lot of politicians say - we need a new Ireland, so lets change the policies and bullsh1t
SF wont be in Government then, LOL, so forget dictating terms! LOL Got to love a Shinners importance complex.

Taking it up the ass? Charming. SF is for gay rights you know?
K-9 is offline  
01-03-2012, 08:04   #56
lugha
Registered User
 
lugha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_very View Post
a big LOL at all the anti Sinn Fein posters in the last year from the GE to the presidency election, proven wrong wrong wrong time and time again.
How were any critics wrong in relation in Sinn Fein? They are not in government and until they are, people like yourself will continue to be deluded that they could do a better job of handling the FF mess than FG/Lab. It would be nearly worth it to give them a few months on the potty to bring a bit of realism to the minds of some of their supporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_very View Post
I said roughly 6 months ago, this govt will not last to full term... Taoiseach Adams to preside over the 2016 Easter Sunday celebrations, as president of Irelands oldest party and the only one representing the 1916 ideals, I think its very appropriate.
Well as long as their focus is on the pressing issues of the day and not some irrelevant, historical wank…
lugha is offline  
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2012, 08:09   #57
talkinyite
Registered User
 
talkinyite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 324
Wouldn't vote because I don't see the point, they all seem the same.
talkinyite is offline  
01-03-2012, 08:16   #58
Dubit10
Banned
 
Dubit10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 593
I would'nt ever in a million years have thought of voting SF up until now but all these other guys are ruining the country. Labour in particular have been useless since they got in. I voted Labour last time but that is out of the question for any future election now.

For me a vote for SF would be a right kick up the arse for the political elites in this country and might just shake up the system in a way we need.
Dubit10 is offline  
01-03-2012, 08:27   #59
LordSutch
Registered User
 
LordSutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland (mostly).
Posts: 7,907
Sinn Fein in the lead in a boards.ie poll, not again, this is getting boring.

Back in the real world . . .
LordSutch is offline  
Thanks from:
01-03-2012, 08:46   #60
AudreyHepburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 3,091
I will never under any circumstances vote Sinn Fein and anyone who would consider voting for a party with SF's history and connections needs to seriously rethink their ideas and beliefs.

I will vote FG as I am not as bitter as many and I can see that they are doing what they have to to get us out a situation that was not their fault, but that they were left to clean up when the cowards in FF ran.
AudreyHepburn is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet