Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-02-2012, 11:16   #16
Max Power1
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by adenaden View Post
Well if you read the post instead of skimming it you would see I was only asking is it normal to only get 100 miles to a half tank.

But of course your always going to get snotty unhelpful people on these forums arnt you!!!
LOL

What size is a tank?
How long is a piece of string?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 11:43   #17
xual

Send a message via Skype™ to xual
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
What speed are you doing when you're getting over 50mpg in a 1.6? Avensis?
100kph on the flat
no less 80kph uphill
and whatever the throttle will give down hill.
  • Inflate tyres optimally, no excess weight, regular servicing ( DYI )
  • Stay wide the opposite side to an up coming turn and turn steady and early so you are in position before the bend is over.
  • Maintain distance between yourself and other cars to avoid stop start.
  • And try not to lash on and off the accelerator.

Saves on tyre wear if you corner steady too. . . Pure boring dull driving that saves money... Which is later spent on electric guitars and booze!!
(2) thanks from:
29-02-2012, 15:24   #18
downburst

I have a 2.0 136 PS S40 diesel. I do 900 km a week mainly motorway. I get 51.5 mpg or about 5.5 l per 100km. Now the pain in the neck is I have to fill up twice a week due to the small 52 litre tank. I reckon I could limp home to the garage on a Friday with 3 to 4 lires left but don't chance it. Although I think I read that the pump and filter system mean that the engine isn't in trouble if fuel runs out in terms of priming it. Anyway the engine requires careful use of the gears, 5th is better than 6th on a long incline etc. despite the torque being there in 6th. Great engine but small fuel tank.
11-03-2012, 08:36   #19
adenaden

Hi all,
After letting the tank empty after the fuel light has come on and needle has gone all the way down to the last red line, I filled the car back up to the brim, I have done this twice now since I got the car and of the 2 fills the average amount of miles I got from the 2 fills is 351 miles/563km.

As I said before in previous post I have a 08 2.0l diesel. I generally do short trips the longest being Maybee a half hour these are not city runs ie stopping and starting but on open secondary roads.

Does this sound about right? I was expecting much more after reading other posts on the cars fuel consuntion?

Has anyone the same car who does the same driving confirm if it's similar?

The reason I would like to know is my cousin has a 04 s40 1.8 petrol(new shape) and was having problem with fuel consuntion and it was down to a problem in the cars E . C. U ( expensive fix)!!

As always any help is much appreciated!
11-03-2012, 08:42   #20
adenaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by downburst View Post
I have a 2.0 136 PS S40 diesel. I do 900 km a week mainly motorway. I get 51.5 mpg or about 5.5 l per 100km. Now the pain in the neck is I have to fill up twice a week due to the small 52 litre tank. I reckon I could limp home to the garage on a Friday with 3 to 4 lires left but don't chance it. Although I think I read that the pump and filter system mean that the engine isn't in trouble if fuel runs out in terms of priming it. Anyway the engine requires careful use of the gears, 5th is better than 6th on a long incline etc. despite the torque being there in 6th. Great engine but small fuel tank.

Ok so your saying you get around 500 km per fill?
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 09:28   #21
Henry Ford III

Is there an onboard fuel computer OP? That should give you an idea, although it's not 100% accurate.

Failing that do the follwing:-

1/. Fill the fuel tank. Reset your odometer.
2/. Drive normally.
3/. When the time comes refill it. Record the following...
a/. Mileage covered between fills.
b/. Litres of fuel purchased to refill.

From there it's easy to work out your mpg.
11-03-2012, 09:37   #22
Fiskar

Quote:
No, he is saying 800+km per fill. 10 gallaons is 45.4 litres x 51 mpg = 510 miles or 816 KM.
I'm saying a fill of 45.4 litres because that is all I can ever get in my 1.6D S40 which does 800 to 900 KM between fills.
11-03-2012, 22:26   #23
adenaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskar View Post
Quote:
No, he is saying 800+km per fill. 10 gallaons is 45.4 litres x 51 mpg = 510 miles or 816 KM.
I'm saying a fill of 45.4 litres because that is all I can ever get in my 1.6D S40 which does 800 to 900 KM between fills.

So would you agree what I get is quite low considering what you are all getting?
11-03-2012, 22:52   #24
PaulKK

How many litres did you put in to fill it?

Without knowing the size of the tank its impossible to tell if the consumption is good or bad.

Edit:

Assuming a tank size of 45L it would seem you are getting approx 35MPG.

That wouldn't be great for a diesel but it sounds like the engine isn't warming up
too much when you are driving so not overly terrible for a 2L.

Last edited by PaulKK; 11-03-2012 at 22:55.
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 22:54   #25
adenaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford III View Post
Is there an onboard fuel computer OP? That should give you an idea, although it's not 100% accurate.

Failing that do the follwing:-

1/. Fill the fuel tank. Reset your odometer.
2/. Drive normally.
3/. When the time comes refill it. Record the following...
a/. Mileage covered between fills.
b/. Litres of fuel purchased to refill.

From there it's easy to work out your mpg.

I already know that, im getting 563 km per full tank which is 52 litres so I'm getting 9.2362 litres per 100km or around 30.5 mpg. The question is wether that seems low and from what people are saying it does seem alot lower?
11-03-2012, 22:57   #26
adenaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKK View Post
How many litres did you put in to fill it?

Without knowing the size of the tank its impossible to tell if the consumption is good or bad.

Edit:

Assuming a tank size of 45L it would seem you are getting approx 35MPG.

That wouldn't be great for a diesel but it sounds like the engine isn't warming up
too much when you are driving so not overly terrible for a 2L.

im getting 563 km per full tank, full tank isis 52 litres so I'm getting 9.2362 litres per 100km or around 30.5 mpg.
11-03-2012, 23:06   #27
Senna
Habitual User

There is either something very wrong with your car or something wrong with your driving, i'd guess its the cars at fault if your doing mostly rural driving.
Bring it to a volvo garage, even driving around a city you would get above 30mpg.
11-03-2012, 23:18   #28
PaulKK

Quote:
im getting 563 km per full tank, full tank isis 52 litres so I'm getting 9.2362 litres per 100km or around 30.5 mpg.
That's brutal, is the car getting up to temperature? Is it an auto?
Maybe the thermostat is stuck or something and its running cold.

You could run a decent sized petrol for that kind of economy.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion