University changing exam marking scheme suddenly - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-02-2012, 14:18   #1
maki

University changing exam marking scheme suddenly

My university has just informed me that due to an omission in the marks and standards document that was distributed to all students at the beginning of the year, and which has been available on their website all year, the marking scheme for one particular subject has been massively altered.

Originally the subject had a marks breakdown of 70% exam and 30% practicals, but we've just been informed that the actual numbers are 40% exam and 60% practical.

This is a huge development and leaves many students in the position where they might fail the year unless they achieve very well in the exam, since the practicals were never well attended.

Is an NUI university legally required to abide by their own exam regulations, or are they allowed to change things just before the exams and say tough luck?
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 14:23   #2
Tom Young
The case of Tansey v College of Occupational Therapists Ltd [1995] 2 ILRM 601 almost immediately springs to mind. Of course, it is slightly different to the scenario you mention.

You can't seek legal advice here unfortunately, but it does sound like it's a little bit unreasonable.

Tom
27-02-2012, 16:09   #3
JG009

Not much help to you but colleges seem to do as they please.
On a course I was on someone was meant to ask if anyone was a qualified electrician or held an engineering degree at the start of the course, and if they did they were to start on year two of this course. This person never informed them of this until of course they had already paid for and done the first year!!!

It would be nice to see something put in place though.
27-02-2012, 16:39   #4
Robbo
Witchfinder General

Get onto your class reps and the education officer in the SU. A similar thing cropped up with (I presume it's UCG we're talking about here) the B.Comm Internationals last year.
28-02-2012, 02:43   #5
castie
Hosted Moderator

HMod: BAPS
Had similar happen before.

"Answer at least 3 questions" on the paper.

But exam was marked out of all 5.

Education officer at the SU helped me file an appeal to the marking of the exam and represented me at the hearing. All exams were regraded out of 3 questions due to the vague nature of the statement.

Im sure you could do similar and the Education Officer at the SU will know best.
Advertisement
29-02-2012, 10:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maki View Post
My university has just informed me that due to an omission in the marks and standards document that was distributed to all students at the beginning of the year, and which has been available on their website all year, the marking scheme for one particular subject has been massively altered.

Originally the subject had a marks breakdown of 70% exam and 30% practicals, but we've just been informed that the actual numbers are 40% exam and 60% practical.

This is a huge development and leaves many students in the position where they might fail the year unless they achieve very well in the exam, since the practicals were never well attended.

Is an NUI university legally required to abide by their own exam regulations, or are they allowed to change things just before the exams and say tough luck?
Legal advice would be sensible here...and quick. There are comparable (ish) situations which have "gone to law" in the past.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion