Tipping the takeaway delivery guy - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-02-2012, 17:59   #16
dee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasea View Post
yes but I'd say many of them don't actually get the tips. Service charge in restaurants does not always go back to the waiting staff. One of the cafes in Blackrock Co. Dublin has a bowl on the counter for change/tips and the poor staff don't get it.

We tip, it just seems darn mean not to. Don't think any of the delivery guys are jetting off to the Bahamas.
Well thats not really my problem. I'm paying a charge to the restaurant to deliver my food, and I assume they are paying the delivery guy to do so, i'm not going to tip extra. Its completely different than dining in a restaurant.
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 18:00   #17
jester77

I give €2, more if it's a big order. These guys earn crap money, a lot would be on the €400 a month basis here.
26-02-2012, 18:03   #18
dee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squod View Post
What?? (())

After waiting 40mins I'd be psychotic !
Yeah, I feel that way! I just moved here and it seems to be 40 minutes minimum, even though my house is about a one minute drive outside of the middle of town. In the old place I lived, delivery usually only took 10-15 minutes.

Last time we ordered a chinese it took an hour for him to arrive, then he knocked at our door saying he had actually delivered our food to a neighbours house so they had to go back to the restaurant and collect our order again! Took almost an hour and a half altogether. He didn't even say sorry and seemed p1ssed he didn't get a tip. They gave the neighbours TWO free meals (ours and their own order) and we had to pay for ours (fair enough, we planned to when we ordered it) and wait and hour and a half.
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 18:08   #19
Gintonious

Didn't tip a delivery man before, he took the doorbell. Luckily it was my mates house.
26-02-2012, 18:08   #20
Hayte

Between 10% and 20% and usually factored in as part of the price of getting a takeaway. So if I'm broke, I just don't get takeaways at all, rather than not tip. At this point its tradition almost, like noodler said.

I figure its a nice thing to do.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 18:09   #21
alandublin33
Closed Account

one or two yoyo , but I think some delivery people look at you like they expect a tip , or root around in there pockets for a euro or 2 change just so you'll say keep it , i dont like them ones so if I see them again they get sfa!
(4) thanks from:
26-02-2012, 18:10   #22
dee.

I actually sometimes worry if they spit in my food or throw a snot in because they see the address and think "oh this one again..she never tips!"
26-02-2012, 18:12   #23
Mr. Presentable
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee. View Post
I actually sometimes worry if they spit in my food or throw a snot in because they see the address and think "oh this one again..she never tips!"
This. Unless you plan never to use the take away again, always tip.
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 18:13   #24
jammstarr
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by alandublin33 View Post
one or two yoyo , but I think some delivery people look at you like they expect a tip , or root around in there pockets for a euro or 2 change just so you'll say keep it , i dont like them ones so if I see them again they get sfa!
Encountered that a couple of times too.
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 18:14   #25
KKkitty

Delivery charges are for fuel costs so the delivery guy wouldn't see a cent of it. I would give a tip.
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 18:27   #26
cocoshovel
Closed Account

I rarely order delivery, but when I do its like a €10 pizza and chips thats delivered less than 2 miles. I dont want to tip for something so small after it took them 35 minutes to deliver it.
26-02-2012, 18:29   #27
Captain_Generic

Quote:
Keep a euro up your bum and it's even-steven
26-02-2012, 18:33   #28
Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie2006 View Post
Does anyone tip the guys who deliver your takeaways? I always give them a quid but I'm beginning to wonder if this is even expected.

If you do tip, how much do you give?
I don't, what have they done to earn it, basically their job and nothing else!!
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 18:34   #29
Chinasea

Quote:
Well thats not really my problem. I'm paying a charge to the restaurant to deliver my food, and I assume they are paying the delivery guy to do so, i'm not going to tip extra. Its completely different than dining in a restaurant.
That's a bit hardline. Of course nobody can force you to tip but would you fancy driving around delivering dinner to Tom, Dick and Harry in the hail rain and snow for a minium wage.
26-02-2012, 18:39   #30
dee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasea View Post
That's a bit hardline. Of course nobody can force you to tip but would you fancy driving around delivering dinner to Tom, Dick and Harry in the hail rain and snow for a minium wage.
If the weather was that bad and he made it through a snowstorm to deliver my dinner, I would be happy to tip. But I live about a minutes drive outside of town, and the weather hasn't been that bad here, aside from the odd shower of rain. So I am not going to tip him for taking close to an hour to deliver my food, which always arrives almost cold.

If the service was great, they would be tipped but it never has been. Why should I tip if I feel they don't deserve it?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion