Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping the takeaway delivery guy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

dee. wrote: »
    If the weather was that bad and he made it through a snowstorm to deliver my dinner, I would be happy to tip. But I live about a minutes drive outside of town, and the weather hasn't been that bad here, aside from the odd shower of rain. So I am not going to tip him for taking close to an hour to deliver my food, which always arrives almost cold.

If the service was great, they would be tipped but it never has been. Why should I tip if I feel they don't deserve it?

Ehh, try a different place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

squod wrote: »
    What?? ((:eek:))

After waiting 40mins I'd be psychotic !

You find that slow?

It's the general waiting time around here though all the takeaways are within about two km of my flat.

I'm so used to it then it seems normal to me I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

A young chap I know has started doing deliveries. It's a cut throat business. The first job he got, he got a €20 flat rate for being on hand from 6pm-2am and the €2 delivery charges. Set against that petrol could cost him €40-€50 if it's busy and it takes him a long while to see a profit. Then another chap came in and said he'd do it for €3 per delivery without the flat rate and the take away owner gave him the job because it saved him €20! Tips are really what makes up his pay in his new job as all he gets there is €2 per delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

My brother does deliveries for a take away, they get very little from the take away, €30 to be there from 5 to 11, so that's a lot less than the minimum wage. They rely on the tips to make it worth their while sitting around for 6 hours. They definitely deserve something. If you don't want to tip then get off your a$$ and go collect your own food and then no one will think your miserable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Clogsworth wrote: »
    They rely on the tips to make it worth their while sitting around for 6 hours. They definitely deserve something. If you don't want to tip then get off your a$$ and go collect your own food

Wow, customers get the guilt trip though the manager won't give them minimum wage :(

So this is what America feels like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Ehh, try a different place?

Lol, I have. Since I moved here I have tried about 5-6 different takeaways. I have ordered from two of them more than once, all took at LEAST 40 mins (some over an hour)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My typical takeaway works out at €32. I had him 35 and tell him he can keep the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Clogsworth wrote: »
    My brother does deliveries for a take away, they get very little from the take away, €30 to be there from 5 to 11, so that's a lot less than the minimum wage. They rely on the tips to make it worth their while sitting around for 6 hours. They definitely deserve something. If you don't want to tip then get off your a$$ and go collect your own food and then no one will think your miserable!

Can't speak for anyone else but personally I don't care if anyone thinks i'm miserable for not tipping. If the service was great, I would, but it never is here. In my old town I would tip a certain driver 1-2 euro each time (my orders were never more than €15) because he delivered in quick time, the food was still piping hot and he was very friendly. I felt that he deserved the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I sue takeaways if the food arrives cold. So I hav plenty of cash for tipping when they do it right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If they're dead late, rude or Sullen they get nothing.
    If they try to shortchange me or " forget " to give me my change & I have to call them back for it; they get nothing.
    But otherwise I'll give them 70 cent or a euro, or two if it's late & ive been at the gargle!!!! If they're on a motorcycle they'll always get something regardless for extra effort!!!
    Oh the maths of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I usually tip the take-away guy about €2, same when I get my car cleaned and about 15% in a restaurant. I never tip in my local even though I frequent there more than anywhere else and they give me excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

I never tip anybody. They get paid, times are tough enough. England was a shock to the system, they want tipped just for ****ing smiling at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

ebixa82 wrote: »
    catthinkin wrote: »
    I tip if they are nice freindly on time i.e good at what they do if they are late have earphones on attitude i dont .

what if they are nice but late?

They get a smile :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no i dont tip them. they get a wage and free food

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

No tipping from me either but I rarely get takeaway.

Delivery guy is free to take it up with his boss if he's not getting paid enough to be honest. I don't tip the courier that delivers my packages either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I tip the delivery guy 10%. 20 euro pizza - I give him 21 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

Robdude wrote: »

Shouldn't you be giving him €22 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Who in their right mind pays €20 for a pizza?!! :eek:

VagnerLove wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be giving him €22 then?

Nah, I think 10% is fair - but beyond that it seems excessive.

Who in their right mind pays €20 for a pizza?!! :eek:

I think it's called 'The Winning Deal' from Pizza Hut Delivery.

I get a large stuffed-crust, double-pepperoni pizza and two sides of cheesy bread (with extra cheese).

I'm also pretty fat. So that kind of sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I just give them a few chips and send them on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Nope, the takeaway is expensive enough and the fúckers never put vinegar on it so they can feck off..... perfectly good chips RUINED by the lack of vinegar :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jester77 wrote: »
    I give €2, more if it's a big order. These guys earn crap money, a lot would be on the €400 a month basis here.

They do in their arse!.

In a busy shop the delivery guy will typically earn more than a taxi driver for the same hours.

(I've done both jobs)

I tip, but usually its just the change and I try to get close to the exact amount anyway - give 'em the shrapnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Nah, I think 10% is fair - but beyond that it seems excessive.

10% of 20 is 2, so €22.00. You are only tipping 5% :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't tip. They done nothing to earn a tip. Couldn't care less if it was lashing rain, roads covered in snow, etc, that's their job. I don't get tipped for doing my job.

When i was a waiter, i got tipped if i went the extra mile and made the dining experience better. But when your job is to drive to a place and drop off food/collect money, there is nothing you can do to warrant a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Yeah I tip a euro or two. If they're doing two or three drops at once, you'll be first to get your food if you've tipped before. So you get hotter food. Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

If you dont tip a euro or two, then YOU ARE A tight ass hungry cnut.;)

A couple of euro extra to have bags of food delivered to your fat lazy ass is not to much to expect is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

pabloh999 wrote: »
    If you dont tip a euro or two, then YOU ARE A tight ass hungry cnut.;)

A couple of euro extra to have bags of food delivered to your fat lazy ass is not to much to expect is it?

Do you tip your postman?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Friend of mine used to work as a delivery man.

Basically, they get the delivery charge on an order. They can work from around 5pm-2am and they might get around 20-30 orders a night minimum. On top of that they're paid a basic wage. So more or less, the delivery charge is the equivalent of a tip, it covers more than twice if not three times the fuel cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chocablock

Was working in a pizza hut delivering until a month ago. Worst job ever. Earned 250 a week plus about 50 a week from tips. if I was lucky for a 40 hour week. 5 an hour. 1.50 a delivery. Barely covered petrol costs and I mean barely. They also made you work 1 12-8 shift a week and youd never get a delivery before 5. They had loads of drivers as the drivers had to help out in the kitchen and are basically cheap labour. It was so depressing and whenever someone gave a tip of a euro or two it really cheered me up so stop being tight ass's. Its fine not tipping if you live less than 3 or 4 mins but if there driving 10 mins a euro or two wont hurt

Advertisement