Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-02-2012, 00:40   #46
Eggy Baby!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Defending glorious Mother Russia with my keyboard.
Posts: 1,067
If Sinn Fein get in, everyone who doesn't have red hair and green eyes will get put in concentration camps, and the secret police, the SanS (Súile An Stáit), will patrol the streets with cudgels looking for dissidents. Gerry Adams will have a cult of personality and his role in the IRA will be ballooned whereas Martin McGuinness' role will be forgotten. There'll be murals on every wall of Adams holding an armalite firing at the Apprentice Boys. He will be proclaimed "Eternal Leader" and will be revered by everyone. Everything must be green. every song sung must be to the tune of "Amhran na bhFiann" and have at least 50% of the lyrics on pain of "re-education". Elections are outlawed, as are banks.

Enda Kenny will be shot, as will Eamon Gilmore. But Martin will be put into exile on Achill Island. Other opposition leaders will be exiled, arrested or killed. Media is censored and independent broadcasting is forbidden. State propaganda is everywhere.

Foreigners will of course be put in concentration camps.

We'll build an aircraft carrier for no discernible reason and call it the "Gerry Adams".

Peadar Toibin will become dictator of Meath.

Ireland will be renamed "The Warriors Holy Irish Republic of Saints and Scholars." And Northern Ireland is referred to in state media as "The British Bit".

We will leave the EU, the UN (citing "British banditry and imperialism" as the cause for both withdrawals) and all other international organisations. Adams will begin to ardently demand Fermanagh. When he gets Fermanagh, he will demand Tyrone. When he gets Tyrone, he will make all sorts of mad demands and then invade Britain for no reason.

So if you're in the army, expect to be relocated to sunny Belfast soon enough....preceded by an aerial bombardment.


Lol. Vote Sinn Fein!

Anyway no real political party does it for me. It'll be my first time voting in a general election this time coming so I dunno...
Eggy Baby! is online now  
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 00:57   #47
southsiderosie
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,350
MOD NOTE:

Just a gentle reminder: if you cannot post in a civil manner, then don't post at all. Flamebait (and responses) deleted.

Back on topic please, folks.

Last edited by southsiderosie; 27-02-2012 at 01:04.
southsiderosie is offline  
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 01:34   #48
quietriot
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 340
I hope the EU takes complete control of this country before the ignorant, lazy, self-serving electorate here have a chance to vote SF into power.

The surge in support for them merely serves as more proof, if ever needed, that the average Irish voter is an absolute idiot who votes on a basis of what will they perceive will affect them the least and how they can "stick it to" the current government the most. They truly do not deserve the right to have their opinions heard, never mind a say in who runs the country and represents us at international level.

I would rather have Merkel at the helm, referendums abandoned and German introduced as a mandatory second language here than see the fumbling, terrorist-backing cretins that SF are in power.
quietriot is offline  
27-02-2012, 01:42   #49
Foghladh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 289
I wouldn't think that this spells the end of Fianna Fail at all. They've been hovering in between the mid-high teens ever since the election and at a time when they have every reason to be unpopular.
That says to me that this is their core support. That's a pretty large support base that the likes of Labour and SF can't call upon. If the poll is taken as accurate then the swing to SF would appear to have come mainly from the Labour account. The swing vote is a fickle thing though and by the time you discount the drop that will inevitably occur with the independent candidates anything is possible.
I'd agree that the FF Ard Fheis could be an important one for them. They'd really need to show something new in order to gain back some of that swing
Foghladh is offline  
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 11:40   #50
bmaxi
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy Baby! View Post

Enda Kenny will be shot, as will Eamon Gilmore. But Martin will be put into exile on Achill Island.
There's me thinking it would be all bad news.
bmaxi is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 11:56   #51
GSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,334
Seems as if the future for the near term anyway is going to be 4 mid sized parties getting somewhere in the range of 15%-30% each with about 15% going to independents. So to form a government you are going to have several permutations:

1) FG + LAB
2) FG + FF
3) FG + SF
4) LAB + FF
5) LAB + SF
6) SF + FF
7) any of the above with independents

Probably the only realistic ones are FG + Lab or SF + FF
GSF is offline  
27-02-2012, 12:29   #52
Van Occupanther
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietriot View Post
I hope the EU takes complete control of this country before the ignorant, lazy, self-serving electorate here have a chance to vote SF into power.

The surge in support for them merely serves as more proof, if ever needed, that the average Irish voter is an absolute idiot who votes on a basis of what will they perceive will affect them the least and how they can "stick it to" the current government the most. They truly do not deserve the right to have their opinions heard, never mind a say in who runs the country and represents us at international level.

I would rather have Merkel at the helm, referendums abandoned and German introduced as a mandatory second language here than see the fumbling, terrorist-backing cretins that SF are in power.
Sticking it to the government happens everywhere in the middle of election cycles. There's a reason governments don't tend to win by elections. Reagan, Clinton, Bush and Obama all lost the mid-terms too.

As for SF, I don't understand the doomsday scenarios foreseen by some. They are a political party and as such exist to gain, exercise and retain power. They'll act like everyone else once they get in. They are already doing this in the north.
Van Occupanther is offline  
27-02-2012, 12:37   #53
swimming in a sea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
if SF were to enter government tomorrow the party would be obliterated at a subsequent election.
i would not be so sure, once SF got in I'd worry how free and fair future elections would be
swimming in a sea is offline  
27-02-2012, 15:27   #54
raymon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghladh View Post
I'd agree that the FF Ard Fheis could be an important one for them. They'd really need to show something new in order to gain back some of that swing
What do you mean "show something new" ??

What could they possibly "show" to gain back some of the "swing" vote ? I am sincerely interested.

I watched Callearly's press conference today and I still don't know what he was mumbling on about. What a shockingly poor representative .

I can't see what the FFers could do or say to make up for the suffering they have caused.
raymon is offline  
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 15:35   #55
GSF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post
What could they possibly "show" to gain back some of the "swing" vote ? I am sincerely interested.
1 Accept blame for what happened
2 Really mean it - no ifs or buts
3 Remove all those responsible for past failures
4 Set out a new vision for what they would do differently in the future

It will never happen of course.
GSF is offline  
27-02-2012, 15:38   #56
Fenian Army
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming in a sea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
if SF were to enter government tomorrow the party would be obliterated at a subsequent election.
i would not be so sure, once SF got in I'd worry how free and fair future elections would be
Where do people like you get crap like that from? I hope you don't really think crap like that, if you do you have serious problems
Fenian Army is offline  
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 16:24   #57
Tzar Chasm
Registered User
 
Tzar Chasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,443
FF don't need to do something new, they need to go back to the old ways, the local party mentality where the Cummans have a real say in policy, some people may find this odd but that is how FF work best, local issues on a national stage, we ar a nation obsessed with parish pump politics, it was when they tried to remodel the party under Bertie that it lost its way.
Tzar Chasm is offline  
27-02-2012, 17:20   #58
Sierra Oscar
Category Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 5,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Chasm View Post
FF don't need to do something new, they need to go back to the old ways, the local party mentality where the Cummans have a real say in policy, some people may find this odd but that is how FF work best, local issues on a national stage, we ar a nation obsessed with parish pump politics, it was when they tried to remodel the party under Bertie that it lost its way.
The introduction of 'One Menber One Vote' will go a long way in allowing the empowerment of the ordinary members. It really will be a game changer for the party, hopefully the organisational reforms will be passed at the Ard Fheis.
Sierra Oscar is offline  
27-02-2012, 18:07   #59
Godge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dublin 15, 200ft asl
Posts: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post
In the latest poll it looks like Michael Martins personal rating has dropped sharply, while FF remains to lose support due to it's widespread unpopularity

Their brand of whinge politics does not seem to be working.

The bad news is that Sinn Fein is making huge gains

http://rte.ie/news/2012/0225/politics.html

Hopefully this spells the start of end of FF
That poll is by behaviour and attitudes who do not have the track record of Red C or MRBI. Have a look at this blog post which analyses the performance of a previous B&A poll.

http://irishpollingreport.wordpress....poor-attitude/
Godge is offline  
27-02-2012, 18:23   #60
raymon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godge View Post
That poll is by behaviour and attitudes who do not have the track record of Red C or MRBI. Have a look at this blog post which analyses the performance of a previous B&A poll.

http://irishpollingreport.wordpress....poor-attitude/
Did you read the comments that discredit this bloggers analysis as exaggerated.

In any case whichever poll you read FF is doing terribly . Michael Martin has proven to be a terribly weak leader. He was weak in cabinet and is weak in opposition.

FF deserve his leadership .
raymon is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search