Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-02-2012, 08:13   #1
skipz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Who knows??
Posts: 639
AIS (marinetraffic.com)

Lets face it, anyone with any interest in the sea will come across or will use Marinetraffic.com and other AIS regularly.

What have you found that takes your interest on Marinetraffic right now?

I'll get the ball rolling, mine is that I see a Unspecified ship by the name of HEMLAND and under a Swedish flag in Tramore.
When you zoom right in you can see that the ship, well the AIS transponder is in a house in a estate?
Sometime the AIS can be a huge way off but this is not as its there a while now.
Anyone got any idea's?
skipz is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-02-2012, 11:14   #2
lorcan122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 139
I love to try and see if there are any foreign vessels in the fishing box, I think sometimes that can be quite interesting.
lorcan122 is offline  
25-02-2012, 17:16   #3
ex_infantry man
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,790
the hemland seems to be moored in the middle of mahon co cork now, what the feck like, it turns out with a little google searching the vessel is a fishing vessel

Last edited by ex_infantry man; 25-02-2012 at 17:32.
ex_infantry man is offline  
Thanks from:
25-02-2012, 20:16   #4
lorcan122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_infantry man View Post
the hemland seems to be moored in the middle of mahon co cork now, what the feck like, it turns out with a little google searching the vessel is a fishing vessel
Yeah it messes up like that quite often, I remember seeing a ship in the middle of Kildare one day, however there could have been a transmitter there, but unlikely.
lorcan122 is offline  
25-02-2012, 20:22   #5
ex_infantry man
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcan122 View Post
Yeah it messes up like that quite often, I remember seeing a ship in the middle of Kildare one day, however there could have been a transmitter there, but unlikely.
i,d highly doubt it unless a mowag piranha II apc has a transmitter onboard lol
ex_infantry man is offline  
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 02:50   #6
skipz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Who knows??
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcan122 View Post
Yeah it messes up like that quite often, I remember seeing a ship in the middle of Kildare one day, however there could have been a transmitter there, but unlikely.
mmh, i have never seen it like this.
You'd see the odd wrong location here and there and when you press the "show current track" button it shows the ships track as straight over land and sea. With the Hemland it has no track?
The ship is now showing up in Tramore again.

Here is a photo of the ship, its currently for sale in Denmark by the look of this website.

http://www.worldfishingtoday.com/fis...&mode=kutter_3

Unless someone in Tramore bought themself a Swedish trawler?!

Last edited by skipz; 26-02-2012 at 03:01.
skipz is offline  
26-02-2012, 10:12   #7
lorcan122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipz View Post
mmh, i have never seen it like this.
You'd see the odd wrong location here and there and when you press the "show current track" button it shows the ships track as straight over land and sea. With the Hemland it has no track?
The ship is now showing up in Tramore again.

Here is a photo of the ship, its currently for sale in Denmark by the look of this website.

http://www.worldfishingtoday.com/fis...&mode=kutter_3

Unless someone in Tramore bought themself a Swedish trawler?!
Its a very temperamental system, and does have some flaws, I think it just depends where the satellite is and what kind of transponder they have.
lorcan122 is offline  
26-02-2012, 16:47   #8
ex_infantry man
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipz View Post
mmh, i have never seen it like this.
You'd see the odd wrong location here and there and when you press the "show current track" button it shows the ships track as straight over land and sea. With the Hemland it has no track?
The ship is now showing up in Tramore again.

Here is a photo of the ship, its currently for sale in Denmark by the look of this website.

http://www.worldfishingtoday.com/fis...&mode=kutter_3

Unless someone in Tramore bought themself a Swedish trawler?!
i,m actually from tramore but live in waterford city, and there aint any harbour in tramore to tie up a trawler,closet fishing village is dunmore east, but doubt it very much anyone down there purchased a swedish fishing trawler, there more than likely trying to get rid of there trawlers down there
ex_infantry man is offline  
27-02-2012, 19:26   #9
Jambo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Waterford
Posts: 709
Helmland used to be showing as Lila Askholmen for quite some time - I remember googling it and I came up with this.

What ever transponder is he is using it seems only to be recieving an not transmitting as I have never picked it up on any plotter.
Jambo is online now  
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 19:38   #10
Poor Uncle Tom
Registered User
 
Poor Uncle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,993
Is there any muscle dredger in Tramore back strand by any chance?
Poor Uncle Tom is offline  
27-02-2012, 19:42   #11
ex_infantry man
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Uncle Tom View Post
Is there any muscle dredger in Tramore back strand by any chance?
nope
ex_infantry man is offline  
27-02-2012, 19:50   #12
Poor Uncle Tom
Registered User
 
Poor Uncle Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,993
Thank you.
Poor Uncle Tom is offline  
27-02-2012, 19:51   #13
ex_infantry man
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Uncle Tom View Post
Thank you.
no probs uncle tom
ex_infantry man is offline  
28-02-2012, 08:21   #14
skipz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Who knows??
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
Helmland used to be showing as Lila Askholmen for quite some time - I remember googling it and I came up with this.

What ever transponder is he is using it seems only to be recieving an not transmitting as I have never picked it up on any plotter.
Thanks for that link Jambo, thats another site ill be looking at now!
Interesting read too.
skipz is offline  
28-02-2012, 20:53   #15
bladebrew
Registered User
 
bladebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cork
Posts: 1,443
hey folks,
great to see a maritime forum on here, i noticed something that made me smile on marine traffic, the destination of the irish fishing trawler conquest, "the pub!" there is another trawler that has its destination as "anywhere but here",
i was wondering what the hemland was about aswell, is it some guy with the transmitter in his house??

Last edited by bladebrew; 28-02-2012 at 21:02.
bladebrew is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet