Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop stolen - Software has screenshots of thief & exact location.Guards do nothing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I like the way Joe Duffy ranked higher then the rest of those people...

He's the man who gets things done!

the thing is, if it WAS brought up on liveline, the guards would get a warrant and have it sorted in a day or 2. (the laptop might get chucked, but I suspect the scumbag type don't listen to Radio 1)

I wonder if everyone realizes that causing a crime to solve one isn't the way to go.

Tell that to Rosa Parks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

In the immortal words of Chief Wiggum: 'We can't be 'policing' the whole city'

Throw a few firelighters and a box of matches in his letter box, with a note saying return the laptop, or next time these will be lit.

If the police wont do anything put the pictures up here, we are bound to find out who it is , it will get picked up by the media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

you can break prey easily.... log on to a boot disk and delete the exe file.

reboot and prey wont work anymore
    Because the guy googling "How do I format a laptop" is going to know how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    having had dealings with the police in a few different countries & with the gardai since moving here i can safely say they are the weakest,most inept, laziest & thickest "law enforcment officers" i have had the misfortune of dealing with anywhere... by a long shot

At least they can't be blamed for lulling you into a false sense of security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Sykk wrote: »
    Because the guy googling "How do I format a laptop" is going to know how to do that.

He does now! Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Theives rob things to sell them usually. I'd say its gone as we write. Maybe you have enough to get him jailed for a little while but I bet your friend don't get the laptop back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

...You and your friend get suits....fake badges and show up at his door...tell him the pc was government property and he must come with you to sign non disclosure forms.....

Have him sign a confession to robbing the pc..........beat the **** out of him and bring him to the gardai.........i personally would smash his head in with a keyboard....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

If the guards got a warrant and stuff and went for a conviction, wouldn't the laptop be taken as evidence and you wouldn't see it for months?

You want the guards to just go over and get your laptop back and that's the end of it, you know the way the legal system works that a conviction is unlikely.

I'd just get a few mates and go over get it back myself. Just knock on the door and say 'you've got something belonging to me' and walk straight in. It'd be very unlikely to get physical, too many people here are giving these scumbags too much credit, 99% are pussies and are just opportunistic scum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If he's been googling donedeal.ie there is a good chance he may use that to flog it off? Keep an eye out on dd/others and if it comes up offer to buy it and then get the Gards involved, that would be my advice anyways.
    If you have serial numbers for the laptop then that can be confirmed you own the machine (even if the thief is "smart" enough to remove the sticker at the bottom, most laptops show it in the bios setup).

Good luck :)

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

just get sum1 to wear a yellow illuminous jacket and talk into a walkie talkie on the other side of a car outside his house.......4 of you bang the door down....say give my my fuggin computer...........he,ll most likely grab it hand it to you and close the door.....half wondering if the guy behind the car is a guard half wondering if your gonna kick his head in.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If the guards got a warrant and stuff and went for a conviction, wouldn't the laptop be taken as evidence and you wouldn't see it for months?

You want the guards to just go over and get your laptop back and that's the end of it, you know the way the legal system works that a conviction is unlikely.

I'd just get a few mates and go over get it back myself. Just knock on the door and say 'you've got something belonging to me' and walk straight in. It'd be very unlikely to get physical, too many people here are giving these scumbags too much credit, 99% are pussies and are just opportunistic scum.

Your right but I hope he is not reading this thread or he will tell OP to **** of :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Unless he's a complete pussy pushing him out of the way to force your way into his house is going to escalate into a physical confrontation. And he's legally entitled to punch, stab or shoot you in that situation.

Then you have to hope he lives alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

denballs wrote: »
    just get sum1 to wear a yellow illuminous jacket and talk into a walkie talkie on the other side of a car outside his house.......4 of you bang the door down....say give my my fuggin computer...........he,ll most likely grab it hand it to you and close the door.....half wondering if the guy behind the car is a guard half wondering if your gonna kick his head in.......

Wat

Sykk wrote: »
    Wat

Exactly confuse the up-to-no-good-doer

One of Mr. Cholmondley-Warner's methods

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Tell your friend to call around to the thief wearing a big rain jacket, with a big ghetto blaster on top of one shoulder and a axe in the hand. When the thief answers the door, give him the speech about Huey Lewis and the News.

I got it off google for you, Your friend will have to memorise it.

"Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself."

Then give it to him, hard. And scream at him "Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now, ya fuking stupid bastard".

Sometime like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U&feature=related

There ya go, dont mention it, I like to give helpful information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Plot a route -

Garda station
    Laptop location
    Fast food takeaway

The Gardai will see the logic, and find the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Is it illegal to record the conversation with the gardai and them refusing to help?
    If not, record it, go get your laptop back (with friends!), and keep the recording as evidence of gardai unwillingness to help.
    Might be handy if they nab you for assault ,etc, if things turn nasty with the thief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

micropig wrote: »
    Or perhaps:

Gardai have screenshot etc of thief using laptop. Gardai show proof to judge. Judge agrees to warrant. Warrant is granted and laptop recovered. At the very least thief is done for handling stolen goods.

I know, I know, I'm a dreamer....:)

But where's the proof that individual in the screenshot is a thief? For all the Gardai know it could be some-one to whom the OP lent the laptop. A picture prooves nothing.

Posters seem to be forgetting/ignoring the fact the Gardai cannot do anything without cast-iron proof.....no fault of theirs, it's just the law.

But where's the proof that individual in the screenshot is a thief? For all the Gardai know it could be some-one to whom the OP lent the laptop. A picture prooves nothing.

Posters seem to be forgetting/ignoring the fact the Gardai cannot do anything without cast-iron proof.....no fault of theirs, it's just the law.

1. Theft is reported
    2. Tracking software shows thief using laptop after time of theft
    3. Even if the person is not the thief, they are handling stolen goods

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393117/Thief-caught-Hidden-app-victim-remotely-controls-MacBook.html

Daily mail link but, meh

1. Theft is reported

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393117/Thief-caught-Hidden-app-victim-remotely-controls-MacBook.html

Daily mail link but, meh

But all the Gardai would have is the OP's friends word that it was stolen. No cast iron proof. Circumstantial evidence yes, strong circumstantial evidence. But no more.

And again no solid proof that they are looking at the theif.

And I would refrain from using rags like the Daily Mail to back up your points.

1. Theft is reported

Daily mail link but, meh
    While I think the OP and his friends should get a few friends and go around and get the laptop back, you would have to consider that the person who is using the laptop might have bought it thinking its legit (highly unlikely, but still).

This is the exact reason you should encrypt you hard drive. Laptop would be useless without buying new hard drive. Also back up regularly.

But all the Gardai would have is the OP's friends word that it was stolen. No cast iron proof. Circumstantial evidence yes, strong circumstantial evidence. But no more.

And again no solid proof that they are looking at the theif.

And I would refrain from using rags like the Daily Mail to back up your points.

:confused:

Yes it's very complex

Can you please define circumstantial evidence?

@laughingjoker91: Even if the person bought it in good faith, they are still handling stolen goods, Buyer Beware!

@laughingjoker91: Even if the person bought it in good faith, they are still handling stolen goods, Buyer Beware!
    I completely understand, but some suggestion about going around and smashing the windows might be a bit OTT...

:confused:

Yes it's very complex

Can you please define circumstantial evidence?

As I think you already know, circumstantial evidence is that which infers, but does not prove, that a crime has occurred or that some-one has comitted a crime.

A photograph could infer lots of things that aren't true. It doesn't prove anything.

If for instance I were take a photograph with a male friend in which we are hugging you could infer that we are a couple but you couldn't prove it just from the picture.

It really isn't that hard to understand.

The Gardai probably do believe the person in the image is the theif but cannont prove it.

As I think you already know, circumstantial evidence is that which infers, but does not prove, that a crime has occurred or that some-one has comitted a crime.

A photograph could infer lots of things that aren't true. It doesn't prove anything.

If for instance I were take a photograph with a male friend in which we are hugging you could infer that we are a couple but you couldn't prove it just from the picture.

It really isn't that hard to understand.

The Gardai probably do believe the person in the image is the theif but cannont prove it.

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/it-downtime-blog/2011/08/laptop-thief-gets-nabbed-by-tr.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/229690/laptop_thieves_punkd_six_amazing_recovery_stories.html

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/laptop-thief-caught-after-victim-blogs-pictures-of-him.html

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

best idea was to put a picture of himself through his door with a note telling him to drop it down to the garda station and tell them he found it at a bus stop or wherever or the guards will be round to ask him some questions. personally i'd knee-cap the little prick but obviously the OP doesn't want to go down that route...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Jake187

Actually this thread is the first time i've heard about that prey software. I went to the official site but it doesnt really answer how it can be used to locate the laptop?

Like say someone robs my laptop in town, then goes to his gaff in rathmines or whatever. How could I find out where he lives? Even if i obtain his ip address. I cant check his exact location.

Or am I missing something here? :pac:

Advertisement