Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-03-2012, 15:18   #181
MYOB
Registered User
 
MYOB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maynooth
Posts: 20,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubit10 View Post
I earned more in 1999 than i do now. I'd say given the downturn in the economy others are in the same position.
Extremely unlikely except in very certain circumstances.

Even basic entry level wages are up about 30% or more after conversion to euro since 1999.

The mimimum wage in 2000 was £4.40 and its now €8.65.
MYOB is offline  
Advertisement
18-03-2012, 15:25   #182
skelliser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: east galway
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post
Thats an 80km commute each way. Why in gods name would you live 80km away from your job? He's got nobody to blame but himself in that situation - either move house or move jobs. Driving 160km a day (plus any leisure driving) is madness.
they bought because thanks to speculators and banksters driving up the price of houses closer to there place of work.

Remember people believed all the hype and where seriously scared that if they didnt buy a house soon they would never be able to afford one.
This was the mentality of the peak boom years.
skelliser is offline  
Thanks from:
18-03-2012, 19:10   #183
Agent_47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lat:N 53*44'27 Long:W 6*36'41
Posts: 168
Remember in 2003 trying to get a gaffe close to work in Sandyford, not a chance, Luas and M50 works along with Dundrum shopping centre drove prices above where we wanted to be. Not to mention house price changes from morning enquiry to evening veiwing in far off places such as Celbridge and Maynooth.
Stayed where we were and do the commute. Anyway, less crime here housewise.
Agent_47 is offline  
18-03-2012, 21:21   #184
johnbobtheslob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 64
is there any specific reason why the price of fuel continues to rise?
johnbobtheslob is offline  
Thanks from:
18-03-2012, 21:31   #185
-Corkie-
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYOB View Post
Extremely unlikely except in very certain circumstances.

Even basic entry level wages are up about 30% or more after conversion to euro since 1999.

The mimimum wage in 2000 was £4.40 and its now €8.65.
I was too taking home nearly 700 pound a week and I was only in my early twenties.... If I earned 700 a week now I would be laughing.
-Corkie- is offline  
Advertisement
18-03-2012, 21:59   #186
Blut2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelliser View Post
they bought because thanks to speculators and banksters driving up the price of houses closer to there place of work.

Remember people believed all the hype and where seriously scared that if they didnt buy a house soon they would never be able to afford one.
This was the mentality of the peak boom years.
1) Nobody held a gun to anyones head and forced them to buy a house, personal responsibility is rather key here. "they made me do it" doesnt cut it with 5 year olds so certainly shouldnt with 35 year olds.
2) I'm fairly sure that an affordable house could have been bought less than 80km away from Dublin, thats a tad excessive even for the boom era commuter towns.

Either way petrol prices are only going one way in the long term, up. Commutes of that distance arent going to be sustainable. The guy with the 160km daily commute can moan all he likes but realistically hes going to have to either suck it up and spend the money on petrol, get a new job or move house. Petrol prices in five years and ten years time from now are not going to be any lower than today.
Blut2 is offline  
18-03-2012, 22:05   #187
RoverJames
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23,182
In fairness taking home £IR700/week wasn't typical for your average early 20s dude back in 1999

I remember working in Atlantic Homecare in the summer of 1998, IR£3.20/hour was the rate, I believe the full timers were on a small bit more, nothing major though. Video shops, petrol stations, betting offices etc were all paying about that.

In Summer 1999 I worked 6 days for £IR150/week, there were some other benefits.

At the time the dole was less than £IR120/week for a single person iirc.
RoverJames is offline  
18-03-2012, 22:44   #188
Sobanek
Registered User
 
Sobanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newbridge
Posts: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post
Petrol prices in five years and ten years time from now are not going to be any lower than today.
I disagree. Every now and then we have an energy crisis. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". They will surely fall, but we don't know when.
Sobanek is offline  
18-03-2012, 22:48   #189
Seweryn
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cill Chainnigh
Posts: 3,037
Send a message via Skype™ to Seweryn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobanek View Post
I disagree. Every now and then we have an energy crisis. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". They will surely fall, but we don't know when.
I really wish you are right about the falling prices, but you are not. There may be some few cent drops every so often, but in the long term fossil fuel prices will continue to rise.
Seweryn is offline  
Advertisement
18-03-2012, 23:29   #190
Blut2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobanek View Post
I disagree. Every now and then we have an energy crisis. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". They will surely fall, but we don't know when.
Oil is a finite resource that will, sooner rather than later, run out. As cheap to obtain sources of it dry up the price will inevitably rise.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-...ch%202012.ashx

A quick google gives this, showing fuel prices going back to 1991. Theres a fairly obvious trend in that 21 year time period...
Blut2 is offline  
18-03-2012, 23:32   #191
yer man!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,002
Is there a reason to why fuel seems to be more expensive in Galway compared to Cork or Dublin? saw quite a lot of stations in the two cities selling fuel about 4c cheaper than any station in Galway.
yer man! is offline  
19-03-2012, 01:29   #192
johnos1984
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by yer man! View Post
Is there a reason to why fuel seems to be more expensive in Galway compared to Cork or Dublin? saw quite a lot of stations in the two cities selling fuel about 4c cheaper than any station in Galway.
Cute whores know you won't drive anywhere else for a fill up
johnos1984 is offline  
19-03-2012, 02:07   #193
dr.fuzzenstein
Registered User
 
dr.fuzzenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In de shticks
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post
1) Nobody held a gun to anyones head and forced them to buy a house, personal responsibility is rather key here. "they made me do it" doesnt cut it with 5 year olds so certainly shouldnt with 35 year olds.
2) I'm fairly sure that an affordable house could have been bought less than 80km away from Dublin, thats a tad excessive even for the boom era commuter towns.

Either way petrol prices are only going one way in the long term, up. Commutes of that distance arent going to be sustainable. The guy with the 160km daily commute can moan all he likes but realistically hes going to have to either suck it up and spend the money on petrol, get a new job or move house. Petrol prices in five years and ten years time from now are not going to be any lower than today.
OK, so options are spend the money on petrol, find a new job or move house.
There are a lot of people however for whom that is quite difficult.
1: There is a limit on how much one can spend, once that is reached, something will have to go unpaid, electricity, mortgage, heating bill, food, car tax, etc...
2: Find a new job. Not always easy, there may be some hope on that front, but the day of hopping from one high paid job to another are over. Salaries will continue to go down, as employers are exploiting the labor market.
3: Move house. Well, that is the tricky part right there. A lot of people are stuck where they are, be it their fault or not.
But you forget option 4:
Default on mortgage or other bills. This will drive hundreds of thousand of people into bankruptcy. Now you can say "huh, serves 'em right", but the problem is that this will simply add pressure to the banks. That means more money for the banks from the government, higher taxes, etc...
We are looking at up to half a million mortgages that people might default on, this will cost more money than can ever be pumped in from the government or even Europe.
When people saw the crash coming, they where laughed at. Now it is being warned that it could get even worse in the future and Ireland is heading for a gigantic financial black hole.
Then it won't matter whose fault it is, because we are heading for the dark ages. Saying "Ah, I'm grand and why is everyone else so stupid" won't help. It wasn't the stoker's fault that the Titanic sank, they went with it anyway.
dr.fuzzenstein is offline  
(2) thanks from:
19-03-2012, 08:35   #194
keithclancy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Noord-Brabant
Posts: 6,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.fuzzenstein View Post
OK, so options are spend the money on petrol, find a new job or move house.
There are a lot of people however for whom that is quite difficult.
1: There is a limit on how much one can spend, once that is reached, something will have to go unpaid, electricity, mortgage, heating bill, food, car tax, etc...
2: Find a new job. Not always easy, there may be some hope on that front, but the day of hopping from one high paid job to another are over. Salaries will continue to go down, as employers are exploiting the labor market.
3: Move house. Well, that is the tricky part right there. A lot of people are stuck where they are, be it their fault or not.
But you forget option 4:
Default on mortgage or other bills. This will drive hundreds of thousand of people into bankruptcy. Now you can say "huh, serves 'em right", but the problem is that this will simply add pressure to the banks. That means more money for the banks from the government, higher taxes, etc...
We are looking at up to half a million mortgages that people might default on, this will cost more money than can ever be pumped in from the government or even Europe.
When people saw the crash coming, they where laughed at. Now it is being warned that it could get even worse in the future and Ireland is heading for a gigantic financial black hole.
Then it won't matter whose fault it is, because we are heading for the dark ages. Saying "Ah, I'm grand and why is everyone else so stupid" won't help. It wasn't the stoker's fault that the Titanic sank, they went with it anyway.
Option 4, default on Mortage hand house back to bank and go rent someplace.

Or Option 5, sell house at a loss, get a personal loan for the Balance.

Buying a house as an investment was never a sure thing no matter what people said.
keithclancy is offline  
19-03-2012, 08:51   #195
NinjaK
Banned
 
NinjaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbobtheslob View Post
is there any specific reason why the price of fuel continues to rise?
Israel and the US threatening to invade Iran might have something to do with it
NinjaK is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet