Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-02-2012, 18:50   #16
Woddle
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard65 View Post
Carbo-loading is the way to go. Pop into your local pizza hut on your way to training, That'll do the trick.
I'm in the OP's position as well. I can run 400m in 60sec so I reckon I'll run a sub 4min mile by the end of summer.
I personally don't think you have what it takes
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...0&postcount=13
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 22:39   #17
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaullBradyy View Post
Hi new poster here but have been reding this forum for the last couple of weeks
I am asking about 400m distance and how good I could get.
I started to try and get fit siince christmas after not doing any sport for the last 10 years. I used to play soccer and was quite good.
I have been doing things like 8 100m intervals with a 10 minute recovery in average 11 secs and was thinking if I could do these 4 together (when I get fit) I could get close to 44 seconds which would be a very good time. I tried running the full 400m distance but due to lack of fitness I only did 51 seconds
I am also wondering what sort of drinks I should be taking like protein and carbohydrates?
44 seconds would be a “very good time”. It would get you onto the podium in London.

If you are running 51 second after doing no sport for 10 years then you are an incredible talent and I would urge you to get straight to a club. However I don’t believe you at all, sorry.
22-02-2012, 22:46   #18
Donelson
Closed Account

Have you checked that what your running is actually one hundred meters, our how did you measure it?
23-02-2012, 09:01   #19
Cartman78

In all fairness, 44 secs for 400m is a ridiculous target for someone with your fitness history.

Why not try for something more realistic like a sub-4 minute mile?*

* Like most former soccer/GAA players who do a few laps of a pitch and suddenly think they can attain Olympic standard in a few months
(3) thanks from:
23-02-2012, 09:04   #20
M cebee
Closed Account

don't believe a word of it

almost 800m world record pace for one lap-after 10yrs out
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 10:21   #21
hardCopy

Defo hit the shakes.

Your training is a little lacking, you could probably add 45mins - 1hr of 5-a-side football each week.
Thanks from:
23-02-2012, 10:49   #22
walshb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaullBradyy View Post
Hi new poster here but have been reding this forum for the last couple of weeks
I am asking about 400m distance and how good I could get.
I started to try and get fit siince christmas after not doing any sport for the last 10 years. I used to play soccer and was quite good.
I have been doing things like 8 100m intervals with a 10 minute recovery in average 11 secs and was thinking if I could do these 4 together (when I get fit) I could get close to 44 seconds which would be a very good time. I tried running the full 400m distance but due to lack of fitness I only did 51 seconds
I am also wondering what sort of drinks I should be taking like protein and carbohydrates?
I assume you are in your 20s?

11 seconds for 100 meters when you say you have not done any sport in the last ten years is superb. I think research labs could be interested in you.

Last edited by walshb; 23-02-2012 at 11:00.
23-02-2012, 11:50   #23
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Judging by the OP's username, there is a better chance of him taking home a Grammy Award next year than running 44 seconds for 400m.

Not that there is much chance at that.
23-02-2012, 12:04   #24
walshb

OP, any chance at all that the times you are doing are on a motorbike? Just asking, as you didn't mention it was from the act of human running.

Edit: You did mention running, but, was it downhill with + 50 m/s tailwind?
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 12:06   #25
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshb View Post
OP, any chance at all that the times you are doing are on a motorbike? Just asking, as you didn't mention it was from the act of human running.
Mario Olympics on the Nintendo Wii. 11 seconds is childsplay though. My auld fella ran a 9.17 with Sonic the Hedgehog one St Stephens' Day. Bloody hell can Sonic run!
23-02-2012, 12:09   #26
walshb

I jumped 9.87 metres on the x box kinect. I love the olympics on the x box!
23-02-2012, 12:20   #27
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshb View Post
I jumped 9.87 metres on the x box kinect. I love the olympics on the x box!
Yeh, the problem is these games are too easy. Within a day of purchasing International Track and Field for the Nintendo 64 I had obliterated Jan Zelezny's javelin WR with a stunning 104.xx metres. I think the jav landed on the track. Thank God there was nobody flying around that bend (the longest track event in that particular game was the 110m Hurdles, so most of the track was left unused).
Thanks from:
23-02-2012, 12:22   #28
Krusty_Clown

Send a message via AIM to Krusty_Clown
We're a tough crowd. To the op:
If your original post was genuine, you are either a superb talent (the likes of which has not been seen in Ireland for a long number of years), or your measurement system is skewed. In either case, get yourself off to your nearest club where you talent will be harnessed, or your measurement systems (assumptions) can be validated.
23-02-2012, 12:31   #29
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_Clown View Post
We're a tough crowd. To the op:
If your original post was genuine, you are either a superb talent (the likes of which has not been seen in Ireland for a long number of years), or your measurement system is skewed. In either case, get yourself off to your nearest club where you talent will be harnessed, or your measurement systems (assumptions) can be validated.
You think we're tough. I'd love to see what the letsrun faithfull would make of such a thread. In fact I am terribly tempted to post up that opening post onto those forums and see what the reaction would be. I won't though.
23-02-2012, 15:03   #30
PaullBradyy

For what it's worth. I ran the 400 on a track with a friend using a stop/watch.
The 100 metre intervals were all mid-high 11 from a running start.
It seems from the responses here that 44 might me unattainable. I still still think I want to go a lot faster than 51 seconds as I don't see this as being a great time for myself.
I am in my late twenties.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion