Originally Posted by Slozer
The Arkle is looking like one of the more competitive races at the festival this year and should shape up to be a good race. While SS looks very impressive I have a few concerns over this horse.
1. He has not won a race further than 17f. Typically 2 mile chasers who win at cheltenham have the ability to win over further distances 20/21f. Take Captain Chris from last year, it was widley regarded that he wanted further than 2 miles, also Sizing Europe the previous year to that.
2. I've seen SS 3 novices races and he will certainly be the best jumper of a fence on the day but he runs so keenly it makes me wonder when Barry Geraghty takes out the whip will he find more coming up that hill! Yes he broke the course record in his last race but if you want to talk about times that was 3-4 seconds slower that last years supreme at an easier track.
3. PP putting this up effectly as thier lay of the festival looks like a nail in the coffin for SS. However I will be availing of this bet just in case.
I dont know which horse I will be betting on yet in this race, I was leaning towards PC but both Al Ferof and Menorah have claims also. Ruby will have to be a lot closer if he wants to win this race as he wont be able to hit Al Ferof 16+ times this year!
1. He has only ever raced over 17f once, this race is over 16f I dont see the relevance tbh.
2. The supreme was also faster than last years Arkle, hurdles tend to be easier to jump than fences, infact the supreme was faster than the Champion last year, as has often been the case.
3. PP take on the first hotpot on Day one whether they think it will win or not, its called the 'rope a dope' system and the casual punters lap it up. There is no conspiracy, why do people think PP know more than every other bookie or every pundit out there??