Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation
5 stars (excellent) 17 85.00%
4 stars (good) 1 5.00%
3 stars (average) 2 10.00%
2 stars (poor) 0 0%
1 star (terrible) 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

19-03-2012, 08:26   #76
Dotcomdolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionChip View Post
The results are always based initially on gun time as per IAAF Rule 165. I usually wait a short time before we produce the chip times as it gives us time to check them and id those who did not go to the start line, there were 6 of them today.

I have just sent the results to MSB with chip time attached so they will appear soon as.
Oh my bad, I was sure they were chip as mine was so close to my watch time. LOok fwd to seeing the real results.
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 10:53   #77
LaHaine

Confused I am, so the real chip times arent on the website yet?
19-03-2012, 11:12   #78
gnu

I'm confused too! What's a gun time? And does anyone know how long it takes to get the real time (whatever that is!)?

Edit: Oh, and only 855 people are listed, I thought there were more than that in the race?

Last edited by gnu; 19-03-2012 at 11:14.
19-03-2012, 11:30   #79
RayCun

Gun time is how long it takes from the starting gun going off to you crossing the finish line.

Chip time is the time between you crossing the start line and you crossing the finish line.

Gun time is the official time. The race organisers are mainly concerned about finishing order, because that's what is used for prizes - who was first man, first woman, first M40, where did the members of a team finish etc. They can stand at the finish line and see all this for themselves, without relying on chips (that might not work). If you start at the back of the race, run faster than all the other runners, but cross the finish line behind the winner - well, that's your own fault. your chip time won't get you a prize.

But for most of us, who aren't going to win the race, and aren't starting at the very front, chip time is more important.
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 11:36   #80
gnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCun View Post
Gun time is how long it takes from the starting gun going off to you crossing the finish line.

Chip time is the time between you crossing the start line and you crossing the finish line.

Gun time is the official time. The race organisers are mainly concerned about finishing order, because that's what is used for prizes - who was first man, first woman, first M40, where did the members of a team finish etc. They can stand at the finish line and see all this for themselves, without relying on chips (that might not work). If you start at the back of the race, run faster than all the other runners, but cross the finish line behind the winner - well, that's your own fault. your chip time won't get you a prize.

But for most of us, who aren't going to win the race, and aren't starting at the very front, chip time is more important.
Thanks! I don't think I'll ever need to worry about my gun time but nice to know what it means anyway.
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 12:14   #81
Bungy Girl

Edit: Oh, and only 855 people are listed, I thought there were more than that in the race?[/QUOTE]

Possible reason for this is because those who signed up for the family deal just got one chip between them so you could have had 4 people running but just one time showing.
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 13:18   #82
Truman Burbank

Great organisation again by MSBAC, was a spectator with family member running

Chip times not yet up

There were significantly less runners this year, almost certainly due to the fact that today is a Bank Holiday (was given this reason by an MSBAC Marshall also)

http://www.msbac.ie/images/Results/Provisional2011.pdf (for race numbers)

Anyone know if the the elderly lady who was knocked flat at the start of the run, directly outside The Mansion House, was OK? We never saw her finish and waited til the end (hopefully we just missed her). Another runner cut her off completely by running across her when she they saw their family with cameras
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 17:50   #83
ChampionChip

Chip times etc

Just clarify the first set of results are always gun time ie from gun shot until you cross the finish line. Chip times are not official and cannot be regarded as such as per IAAF Rule 165.

Re entrants there were just short of 1000 chipped entrants and the others were families, walkers and kids who were not chipped or timed.

I've just posted the results with chip times on my site www.championchipireland.com
19-03-2012, 18:33   #84
gnu

Yippee!!!! Even better time than I could have hoped for! Interesting to see how many people with slower chip times placed ahead of me ... well I did start at the back on purpose, didn't want to hold anyone up but then ended up a bit stuck myself.

Very sorry to hear about that woman who got knocked over and hope she's ok and was able to race.

Am now compulsively trying to find my next race, this racing stuff is like heroin! :-)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 18:58   #85
Dotcomdolly

Loving your work championchip PB for me afterall, I thought my watch was bag on but hurrah it wasn't 20 secs off rathfarnham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Yippee!!!! Even better time than I could have hoped for! Interesting to see how many people with slower chip times placed ahead of me ... well I did start at the back on purpose, didn't want to hold anyone up but then ended up a bit stuck myself.

Very sorry to hear about that woman who got knocked over and hope she's ok and was able to race.

Am now compulsively trying to find my next race, this racing stuff is like heroin! :-)
Cheaper & better for the health though gnu! well done on exceeding your own expectations!
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 19:19   #86
gnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotcomdolly View Post
Loving your work championchip PB for me afterall, I thought my watch was bag on but hurrah it wasn't 20 secs off rathfarnham.

Cheaper & better for the health though gnu! well done on exceeding your own expectations!
Thanks a mill, I am thrilled even though I'd say I'm half the speed of you guys! And congratulations on your PB!!!
19-03-2012, 20:32   #87
RayCun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
The Lottery race series is very good value, and a nice progression of distances for a beginner - 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon. 65 euro for all four, and a technical t-shirt with each one.
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 20:39   #88
ChampionChip

I am hoping to get the nod for the Series this year after the diffs experienced with the Italians last few times. Its down to me and one other GB based company.
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 21:55   #89
gnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCun View Post
The Lottery race series is very good value, and a nice progression of distances for a beginner - 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile, half marathon. 65 euro for all four, and a technical t-shirt with each one.
Thanks Ray, that's a really good deal. I'm not sure I'll be able for the 2 longer ones but definitely interested in the first 2. Hope I can find something sooner though ... don't want to get withdrawal symptoms! Am thinking of the Great Ireland Run in April but not sure I'll be ready for 10k in time as my longest run so far is just over 7km.
19-03-2012, 22:15   #90
Timmaay

Send a message via MSN to Timmaay
I would rate most club races higher then the likes of the national lotto race series, most big commercial races as such tend to be forced to compromise in the course etc due to their size, and then there's the hassle of parking/overcrowding etc. There are plenty of 5k club races coming up over the next few months, in the Kidare/Wicklow/Meath area, my own club holds a fit4life series, and the next two races are both 5ks http://www.slicualann.com/fit4life-league.html, only 5quid entry also! (don't expect a goodiebag/tshirt tho ha!)
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion