Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools
23-02-2012, 21:36   #31
sam1111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Cheers again for the responses. Much appreciated.

That's the one thing I can take away from this. I did everything I could to make it work. She either has her friends telling her she would have more fun single or else she's interested in other men. Either way there's not much I can do about it. The thought of her with someone else is horrible but it's life, I have to come to terms with it. In saying that I would love to know if there is any chance she will come back or am I just being foolish???

In saying that, whenever I check my phone I keep hoping there's an sms or missed call from her. Just to know I'm wanted. She hasn't called since I made contact two days ago. Which is disappointing. I'm still angry about her calling a couple of nights ago, it feels like she did it just to mess with my head. She is acting like a completely different person, the woman I fell in love with wouldnt treat others this way, she'd soon come to her senses

Last edited by sam1111; 24-02-2012 at 10:32.
sam1111 is offline  
Advertisement
24-02-2012, 15:18   #32
Lorna123
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1111 View Post
Cheers again for the responses. Much appreciated.

That's the one thing I can take away from this. I did everything I could to make it work. She either has her friends telling her she would have more fun single or else she's interested in other men. Either way there's not much I can do about it. The thought of her with someone else is horrible but it's life, I have to come to terms with it. In saying that I would love to know if there is any chance she will come back or am I just being foolish???

In saying that, whenever I check my phone I keep hoping there's an sms or missed call from her. Just to know I'm wanted. She hasn't called since I made contact two days ago. Which is disappointing. I'm still angry about her calling a couple of nights ago, it feels like she did it just to mess with my head. She is acting like a completely different person, the woman I fell in love with wouldnt treat others this way, she'd soon come to her senses
Any woman who is in love will not put her friends first. She may just want a break. Of course there is a chance that she will come back to you, but don't put everything on hold while you wait.

Don't feel unwanted just because this woman is unsure at the moment, you have everything that millions of women would love, you are kind, intelligent, and have your head screwed on. I'd say she is the one missing out at this stage, not you.
Lorna123 is offline  
25-02-2012, 13:06   #33
sam1111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Cheers Lorna,

It's nice to hear some positives. Yes, I need to get on with my life, can't wait around hoping she will re appear in my life again. There's been no contact in 3 days now so it's clear she is finished with me. Time to cut all ties and anything that reminds me of her.

Again, thanks everyone for all the helpful advice. I spent the last few days hoping she would call and tell me she wanted to work things out but if she couldn't pick up the phone in 3 days then it's very unlikely she has feelings for me or cares about me so I can't waste anymore time here.
sam1111 is offline  
25-02-2012, 20:02   #34
EGAR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Co. Galway
Posts: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1111 View Post
Thanks for all the really helpful replies. They're really appreciated.

I'm from Ireland, moved down to Australia to be with this girl. So if I go back it's likely I will have no job and no income. I left my job in Ireland to come here as we had our future planned out here together. Got offered a good job here and I committed to a long term lease and visa. But I'm not concerned about them to be honest. It just feels like I wasted so much of my life for nothing. I made so many decisions based on us as a couple and I feel like I've ruined my life and lost my best friend at the same time. I know that sounds sappy.

I agree with the no contact. How will I get over her or move on if I'm still in contact. The last time I spoke to her (yesterday) I asked her to please respect my need for space and not contact me. She has since text me and said, she is really sorry and that she really wishes it hadn't come to this. That she will miss me and all that, wishing me all the best and that I deserved someone who treated me better. I couldn't think of anything worthwhile to say back so I just left it. I've never felt this low. Part of me is hoping she'll come round, it was all very sudden but part of me realises she's gone for good. I can't imagine my life without her.

I know I need to keep myself as busy as possible, I'll need to take up a hobby as my friends here all have girlfriends and I don't want to be around in theirs every evening after work pestering them.
Sam, I moved to Ireland donkey's years ago to be with the man I loved. He dumped me a week before the wedding because Mammy didn't like him to get hitched to a foreigner and an atheist to boot. I had no one here, knew no one, had no job (but wasn't totally broke as I had savings, not much but it got me by). I had two choices, leave Ireland and regret it for the rest of my life NOT having stuck it out, or toughen it out. I did the latter, the first few months killed me, I lost weight, wasted away to nothing until I fainted. After 8 weeks I told myself to cop on and get my act together.

16 years on and I am still here, have a beautiful 7 yro son, am in a relationship with his dad etc. I made my way and so can you. Give yourself some time to grief and then get on with your life. It's too short to get stuck in the past.
EGAR is offline  
Thanks from:
25-02-2012, 20:05   #35
Paddy Bateman
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1111 View Post
Hi,

I very recently broke up with my long term girlfriend. We'd been together for 7 years and then a couple of days ago she ended things with me. She wanted to be care free and single. It came as a huge shock as only 2 days previous we were making big plans together which she was pushing and all excited about. I don't know where this has come from, she says she is confused but she knows this is what she wants. I obviously have no choice but to accept it.

I'm shocked and really down about things. The problem is I've moved halfway across the world for this girl and then this happens. I'm now in a country where I have very few friends and tied down to a job. I feel really alone and trapped. I just don't know where to turn or what to do. I know people break up every day of the week and I should just man up and get on with it but I've never felt this down before. My chest hurts and I feel so lonely.

I'm not really sure what I want to achieve by coming on here, I suppose I needed to turn somewhere for support. Thanks for listening

Sam
If you have no kids or no mortgage then you are never tied to a job. Stop feeling sorry off yourself - you are young free and single and likely have a few quid judging by you comments re job. A lot more fish in the sexual sea as they say - just move on
Paddy Bateman is offline  
Advertisement
26-02-2012, 06:15   #36
Missy Moo Moo
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 232
[Quote=Paddy Bateman;77287089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1111 View Post
If you have no kids or no mortgage then you are never tied to a job. Stop feeling sorry off yourself - you are young free and single and likely have a few quid judging by you comments re job. A lot more fish in the sexual sea as they say - just move on
If it were as easy as "just moving on" then the OP wouldn't be posting here and no one would ever need to post on boards.

And as for him being tied to a job, I imagine he moved to Oz at great expense (visas etc). So he probably meant that he's not just going to pack it in after all that and is, as such, tied to a job. And he's not feeling sorry for himself, he's been through a break up of a 7 year relationship and an upheaval in terms of moving to the other side of the world in a very short space of time. Anyone would be down in his position.

OP, I feel for you, I really do. Let her miss you. It might take a bit of time for her to realise she misses you and you both need space at the moment. But like you said, it's important that you're not waiting around for her. I'm a great believer in the saying if you love somebody set them free. If they're yours they'll come back. If they don't, they were never yours.

I know it's hard to stay positive but try to focus on the positives. You're in fantastic country and have every chance to build a fantastic life over there. Focus on that for the moment to keep yourself busy. Start looking up social groups, classes, anything! Get out and get meeting people.

Best of luck OP
Missy Moo Moo is offline  
Thanks from:
27-02-2012, 11:45   #37
sam1111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Thanks Missy Moo Moo and everyone, appreciate the posts.

I can see where people are coming from with the moving on thing. They are right. Unfortunately it's not as easy as that, well not for me anyway. It's just everything was left so sudden. She never explained what changed her mind, why she wanted to have her space. Everything was good a a week or so ago. Then she called the next night crying, said she was sorry and that she didn't mean to mess me around like that. A day later and she was back to square one again. I tried to plead with her but to no avail. Did she just want me to chase her again? Do she just need space or is there someone else involved? I have so many unanswered questions. On top of that she hasn't contacted me in 4 days, I know I asked her to not contact me but what does that mean her not even sending an sms to see if I'm ok?? I'm so confused, all I know is I'm not going to contact her again and I need to move on with my life because it's evident she won't be contacting me again since she hasn't already
sam1111 is offline  
27-02-2012, 11:58   #38
Lorna123
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1111 View Post
Thanks Missy Moo Moo and everyone, appreciate the posts.

I can see where people are coming from with the moving on thing. They are right. Unfortunately it's not as easy as that, well not for me anyway. It's just everything was left so sudden. She never explained what changed her mind, why she wanted to have her space. Everything was good a a week or so ago. Then she called the next night crying, said she was sorry and that she didn't mean to mess me around like that. A day later and she was back to square one again. I tried to plead with her but to no avail. Did she just want me to chase her again? Do she just need space or is there someone else involved? I have so many unanswered questions. On top of that she hasn't contacted me in 4 days, I know I asked her to not contact me but what does that mean her not even sending an sms to see if I'm ok?? I'm so confused, all I know is I'm not going to contact her again and I need to move on with my life because it's evident she won't be contacting me again since she hasn't already
If you pleaded with this woman to change her mind and she hasn't then I am so sorry but you must read the writing on the wall. It is very very hard to move on and that is probably an understatement. It has to be one of the worst feelings in life.

To answer your questions:

No, she does not want you to chase her again, and don't do it, that will only make things worse:

She is not asking for more space to think things out. She already had 7 years:

It's irrelevant whether she has someone else or not:

She is not contacting you because she feels guilty and contacting you makes her feel uncomfortable:

It's not the end of the world Sam, you are a great guy and you will love again, you mark my words. It takes time to get over someone you have been with for 7 years, it can't be done in a week. So don't be hard on yourself. Wishing you every happiness for the future, you deserve it after this.
Lorna123 is offline  
27-02-2012, 12:15   #39
sam1111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Thanks Lorna,

Well I wouldn't say pleaded, that was probably the wrong word. I tried to talk some sense into her, she said she was really confused but that was 4 days ago. I agree that it's over. I don't think I could get over the pain she has caused me or pretend it hasn't happened. I suppose I just wanted some closure. I know that's an overused term but I genuinely don't know what happened.

I also thought she would be back in contact. She has always been indecisive with her choices in life, I thought this might have been another one of those times. And I don't know why she called me that night upset telling me she missed me

Last edited by sam1111; 27-02-2012 at 12:21.
sam1111 is offline  
Advertisement
27-02-2012, 12:49   #40
BraziliaNZ
Registered User
 
BraziliaNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SE5
Posts: 5,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1111 View Post
Thanks Lorna,

Well I wouldn't say pleaded, that was probably the wrong word. I tried to talk some sense into her, she said she was really confused but that was 4 days ago. I agree that it's over. I don't think I could get over the pain she has caused me or pretend it hasn't happened. I suppose I just wanted some closure. I know that's an overused term but I genuinely don't know what happened.

I also thought she would be back in contact. She has always been indecisive with her choices in life, I thought this might have been another one of those times. And I don't know why she called me that night upset telling me she missed me
Sounds like she'll get in touch again I'd say. You need to be strong and ignore her from now on though, otherwise this will just drag out for you. I've lived in various places on my own and it's easy enough to meet people etc. You might be even more depressed if you moved home so try and make it down there for now, you're young etc.
BraziliaNZ is offline  
28-02-2012, 02:01   #41
sam1111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Thanks, I am going to try and stay here for as long as possible. After all i did leave a great job back home and the possibility of me getting employment at home are slim to none.

It's just hard in a new place without my family and friends but that's life, I have no option but to get on with it. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed that she has left me here and made no effort to explain why.
sam1111 is offline  
28-02-2012, 10:08   #42
mike0c
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 15
Hi Sam,

You need to try and move on with your life regardless of whether she gets back to you or not. From what you've said in your posts I do think she will get back in contact but at the same time what difference will that make. She has left it 4 days now, if she is confused or needed her space then 4 days is more than enough to find herself so it's just not acceptable.

At the end of the day it's your call but I wouldn't be in any hurry to take her back
mike0c is offline  
28-02-2012, 10:22   #43
cynder
Registered User
 
cynder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 4,131
Sam a friend of mine his girlfriend dumped him after 7 years, they were planning on getting married and so on, out of the blue she said it was over and that was that. The guy was heartbroken for 6 months or so and then after a year he met someone else, they now have a kid together and have been together for 5 years.



Life goes on, it may be hard for the foreseeable future but it will get better. Sometimes things happen you dont like, but they do open new doors. Some doors have some might good adventures waiting behind them be ready for them....
cynder is offline  
29-02-2012, 13:44   #44
sam1111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
I feel like I keep repeating myself but again thank you for the responses.

I think I'm starting to come to terms with it all, it was a crazy week for me. One in which not much else mattered but your honest responses have help and I hope ye all know how great it has been for the advice. She emailed me today out of the blue. She started by asking would I be able to send some stuff that I have to her sisters home. Then went on to tell me she was "really sorry how things ended" and that she "hopes one day I can forgive her".

I'm really annoyed at this, firstly cause she sends it by email and secondly it's an absolutely pointless message, I don't have her sisters address and she knows that, why didn't she include it. We had agreed I'd send it to her friends house. I really don't know why she emailed me but it annoyed me how she went about it
sam1111 is offline  
29-02-2012, 13:54   #45
Missy Moo Moo
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1111 View Post
I feel like I keep repeating myself but again thank you for the responses.

I think I'm starting to come to terms with it all, it was a crazy week for me. One in which not much else mattered but your honest responses have help and I hope ye all know how great it has been for the advice. She emailed me today out of the blue. She started by asking would I be able to send some stuff that I have to her sisters home. Then went on to tell me she was "really sorry how things ended" and that she "hopes one day I can forgive her".

I'm really annoyed at this, firstly cause she sends it by email and secondly it's an absolutely pointless message, I don't have her sisters address and she knows that, why didn't she include it. We had agreed I'd send it to her friends house. I really don't know why she emailed me but it annoyed me how she went about it

I know its hard but don't analyse the email, it will just drive you round the bend. Who knows what she's thinking, doubt she even knows herself.

My advice would be to reply and keep it civil and polite, don't acknowledge the bit about forgiveness etc. Just say "sure, send me your sisters address". Dont try and engage in any discussions. Just be brisk and business like.
Missy Moo Moo is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools



Share Tweet