Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2012, 14:32   #1
robbie_998
Closed Account

Yet another insurance rant !

how is that insurance is more expensive on my 1.4 civic than a 1.9TDI 2007 Skoda octavia or slightly cheaper again on a 1.9 JTD Stilo ?

i mean really !

1 year no claim and 1 year older and what not and yet a not so powerful hatch is more expensive than a more powerful saloon !

not a happy bunny

but still love my car nearly a year on and not getting rid of it
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 14:36   #2
Owen

Mostly because a few years ago Civics were driven exclusively by morons showboating everywhere they went. Not so much these days, but the stigma's still attached in Insurance industry.
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 14:40   #3
robbie_998
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post
Mostly because a few years ago Civics were driven exclusively by morons showboating everywhere they went. Not so much these days, but the stigma's still attached in Insurance industry.
yeah i remember this from when i was talking about buying one.

i recall it being more expensive for the older civic insurance wise than the new one.

still annoying though.

im half tempted to let my insurance and tax run out and take the car of the road for a year or 2 and pick up a cheap knock about diesel that would be cheaper in a few ways.
20-02-2012, 14:47   #4
Colts

This can be really frustrating, my insurance on an Alfa GT 1.9JTDM is more than it would be on a Audi A5 2.7 tdi despite having less power and having a value of about 1/4 of the A5!
20-02-2012, 20:31   #5
challengemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_998 View Post
im half tempted to let my insurance and tax run out and take the car of the road for a year or 2 and pick up a cheap knock about diesel that would be cheaper in a few ways.
And come back to an underpowered (not exactly light on juice?) petrol civic when prices will surely be closer to €2/L, which will probably have even less of a market then.... not the best idea in the world. If you're thinking about changing car, do it properly tbh.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 20:33   #6
TestTransmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by challengemaster View Post
And come back to an underpowered not exactly light on juice petrol civic when prices will surely be closer to €2/L, which will probably have even less of a market then.... not the best idea in the world. If you're thinking about changing car, do it properly tbh.
My thoughts exactly,not to mention depreciation, silly idea.
Insurance can't be that bad on the Civic, have you shopped around OP?
20-02-2012, 20:43   #7
veetwin

Quote:
how is that insurance is more expensive on my 1.4 civic than a 1.9TDI 2007 Skoda octavia or slightly cheaper again on a 1.9 JTD Stilo ?
It's probably simple from the ins co point of view. More claims come from Civics than from Octavias therefore Civic drivers pay more. It's probably true as well. I'm guessing that more Civics are crashed/stolen/broken into than Octavias even though the Octavia would be the faster car...also much older demographic driving the Skoda therefore statistically less claims.
20-02-2012, 23:04   #8
robbie_998
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestTransmission View Post
My thoughts exactly,not to mention depreciation, silly idea.
Insurance can't be that bad on the Civic, have you shopped around OP?
I have.

appearently NCB means nothing cos of my age :/

so i might only take it off the road for 4/5 months and use it again after my birthday and declare it off the road tax wise and just start it all up again when insurance will be cheaper again when im that extra year older

again the britton crowd im with at the moment are pulling ahead price wise beating everyone else.
20-02-2012, 23:08   #9
TestTransmission

Quote:

so i might only take it off the road for 4/5 months and use it again after my birthday and declare it off the road tax wise and just start it all up again when insurance will be cheaper again when im that extra year older
They take it into account when calculating your premium that your age will change in 5 months when it's your birthday you know...
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 23:23   #10
RoverJames
Banned

Quote:

Daft theory, waste of time.
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 23:24   #11
bfocusd
Closed Account

I think the insurance is also lower on higher litre engines because of the running costs and the individuals capability to afford the cost of running a 1.4 civic is very little compared to a say 2.5litre 325I

In a twisted way, they see it that in the economy at the moment if you can afford to run a high powered car you must be somewhat sensible, by having the means to afford it, the majority of lads would have some degree of struggle to cover the day to day costs, let alone the cost of the car, so they get a lower power engine, but as it costs less, the insurance hit them with high rates assuming they can afford it.

It's just a guess I'm throwing out, as im 24 and drive an 05 st, my insurance is 500, my mate drives an 06 m5, her insurance is 700, while a mate of ours drives a 98 1.4l colt and her insurance is 1100...

How they manage to work it out is beyond me, but that's where my guess is coming from.
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 23:25   #12
Henry Ford III

Cost of parts, frequency of claims and thefts. Chav factor too.
20-02-2012, 23:38   #13
robbie_998
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestTransmission View Post
They take it into account when calculating your premium that your age will change in 5 months when it's your birthday you know...
oh right.

i think this is gonna be a very sad time so.

my lil baby

being everywhere with her

we have a special bond together <3

[IMG]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0241.jpg (1.40 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0304.jpg (1.09 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0305.jpg (1.30 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0377.jpg (1.33 MB, 5 views)
20-02-2012, 23:43   #14
RoverJames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocusd View Post
I think the insurance is also lower on higher litre engines because of the running costs and the individuals capability to afford the cost of running a 1.4 civic is very little compared to a say 2.5litre 325I ....................

It's just a guess I'm throwing out, as im 24 and drive an 05 st, my insurance is 500, my mate drives an 06 m5, her insurance is 700, while a mate of ours drives a 98 1.4l colt and her insurance is 1100...

How they manage to work it out is beyond me, but that's where my guess is coming from.
Sounds like another daft theory to me, an ST170 you have is it?
(2) thanks from:
21-02-2012, 00:07   #15
TestTransmission

Quote:
oh right.

i think this is gonna be a very sad time so.

my lil baby

being everywhere with her

we have a special bond together <3
Have you been drinking or smoking some funny stuff or something?

What's the cheapest insurance quote you can get and what's your NCB and age.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion