Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2012, 20:11   #256
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warper View Post
I thought this was absolute garbage. The first film in a while i contemplated walking out after about 60 mins. Who is this geared at - 12 year olds? The humour is so childish, you would want to be braindead to find it funny. Not funny, not scary, avoid.
Way too much of this type of post around these parts recently. There are better ways to critique and discuss a film than blindly insulting everyone you disagree with.
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 10:42   #257
Skinfull

Send a message via MSN to Skinfull
Saw it last night in Cineworld for the 2nd time and it totally holds up. Actually found it just as good and some of the off hand conversation pieces, that are in the background on first viewing make so much more sense and are clever and hilarious in some cases!

Its not scary but there are some tense scenes. Its really funny and clever and has some fantastic shots. i.e. when the red phone rings during the party, love the shot of both of them looking at each other then to the phone.

A friend pointed out the harbinger of doom being there to warn the kids not to go to the cabin, but also the fact that he calls the control room, as if warning them of impending doom!

Great movie, I look forward to the DVD with commentary from Whedon and Goddard.
02-05-2012, 14:06   #258
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomissex View Post
Weird! I saw it both times in Swords! Wonder why they're not showing it anymore...
The Swords one is a bit smaller IIRC so less seats to distribute between movies.
02-05-2012, 16:30   #259
Princess Peach

Saw it last night, I loved it! It was a great twist on a teen slasher film, the plot was so unexpected as I hadn't seen any long previews for it so not sure how much they gave away. But I had just expected a group of kids in a cabin get killed, it was great!

It was so interesting, and I found it really funny too! Thought the writers were so creative with the monsters too.
02-05-2012, 19:02   #260
Andy!!
Banned

Quote:
I thought this was absolute garbage. The first film in a while i contemplated walking out after about 60 mins. Who is this geared at - 12 year olds? The humour is so childish, you would want to be braindead to find it funny. Not funny, not scary, avoid.
Trollers gonna troll.
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 12:41   #261
Warper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy!! View Post
Trollers gonna troll.
Why, does speaking my mind equals trolling??

I just this found this film to be one of the worst i have seen all year. Tbh the posts on this thread must be mainly from teenagers which is fair enough as that is the market this film is aimed at. The usual teeny characters -the buff, the archetypal movie version of a slack stoner who is really annoying and so far from being an actual stoner its ridiculous. Then the babes, one an airhead, the other smart and of course the black friend.

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion but for anyone out there that isnt into this childish type of humour, then trust me, this is bad.
04-05-2012, 12:57   #262
jpm4

Quote:

I just this found this film to be one of the worst i have seen all year. Tbh the posts on this thread must be mainly from teenagers which is fair enough as that is the market this film is aimed at. The usual teeny characters -the buff, the archetypal movie version of a slack stoner who is really annoying and so far from being an actual stoner its ridiculous. Then the babes, one an airhead, the other smart and of course the black friend.

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion but for anyone out there that isnt into this childish type of humour, then trust me, this is bad.
Oh man, you are going to get lynched here.......
04-05-2012, 13:22   #263
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
Quote:
Speaking one's mind does not equal trolling.
However, making a thinly veiled insult at the intelligence of everyone who has different tastes in film to you is.
04-05-2012, 13:33   #264
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Quote:
Indeed everyone is entitled to an opinion. You are not entitled, however, to call everyone who liked the film 'teenagers' (what an odd insult) or 'idiots'. Enough of that nonsense.
Advertisement
07-05-2012, 14:38   #265
pixelburp

Finally got around to seeing this last night, been meaning to for the longest time - particularly once the good reviews came flooding in; although those I know seemed to either love or hate it with equal measure.

I'm fairly conflicted by it really: on the one hand as a lover of old-school horror films, the various winks, nods & obvious affection the script had for the genre was great to see. I spent a lot of my time trying to spot all those nods (eg, I liked the shoutout to The Thing with the shot on the monitor of an arctic base in flames). The scenes in the control room were well done & a unique idea; laughed at the merman gag(s). I tire a little of Whedon's joe-everyman dialogue, but in general it made the people seem relateable anyway.

On the other hand I don't think the film was quite as good, or clever, as it thought it was: The 'twist' seemed quite obvious after the first teenager's death, although I guess to be fair it never seemed to be straining to conceal the mystery; the stoner character felt like a knock-off of Scream's own 4th-wall breaking persona; and the motivations for the elaborate horror scenarios were never adequately explained. No, I don't expect to be led by the hand, but it just felt like the script-writers hadn't really thought the idea through, or at least not beyond the initial pitch.

And I dunno why it annoys me so much, but if you're creating a complicated, hightech zoo, containing almost every nightmare imaginable & monster made flesh, why the fook would you have a big red button that purges the cages & releases them all into a staff hallway? To quote the stoner, that makes what kind off sense? Maybe I just wasn't thinking meta enough, but that just struck me as dumb.

Still a good movie, just not that good. I enjoyed it, but
07-05-2012, 14:59   #266
Lamper.sffc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
Finally got around to seeing this last night, been meaning to for the longest time - particularly once the good reviews came flooding in; although those I know seemed to either love or hate it with equal measure.

I'm fairly conflicted by it really: on the one hand as a lover of old-school horror films, the various winks, nods & obvious affection the script had for the genre was great to see. I spent a lot of my time trying to spot all those nods (eg, I liked the shoutout to The Thing with the shot on the monitor of an arctic base in flames). The scenes in the control room were well done & a unique idea; laughed at the merman gag(s). I tire a little of Whedon's joe-everyman dialogue, but in general it made the people seem relateable anyway.

On the other hand I don't think the film was quite as good, or clever, as it thought it was: The 'twist' seemed quite obvious after the first teenager's death, although I guess to be fair it never seemed to be straining to conceal the mystery; the stoner character felt like a knock-off of Scream's own 4th-wall breaking persona; and the motivations for the elaborate horror scenarios were never adequately explained. No, I don't expect to be led by the hand, but it just felt like the script-writers hadn't really thought the idea through, or at least not beyond the initial pitch.

And I dunno why it annoys me so much, but if you're creating a complicated, hightech zoo, containing almost every nightmare imaginable & monster made flesh, why the fook would you have a big red button that purges the cages & releases them all into a staff hallway? To quote the stoner, that makes what kind off sense? Maybe I just wasn't thinking meta enough, but that just struck me as dumb.

Still a good movie, just not that good. I enjoyed it, but
Im guessing the big red button thingy is just another part of the overall p1sstake
07-05-2012, 15:10   #267
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post
Im guessing the big red button thingy is just another part of the overall p1sstake
Well like I said, maybe I wasn't thinking meta enough, but I'm struggling to see how it was also an element that lampooned the genre. It just actually seemed like dumb writing, as opposed to another nod towards a convention of some kind.
07-05-2012, 15:14   #268
Skinfull

Send a message via MSN to Skinfull
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
...On the other hand I don't think the film was quite as good, or clever, as it thought it was: The 'twist' seemed quite obvious after the first teenager's death, although I guess to be fair it never seemed to be straining to conceal the mystery; ...
There was no twist. It was quite clearly telegraphed what was going on here from the get go though some of it only making sense in hindsight. But Still there was no, guessing where this is going, it was just a joyous journey. Virginal death, optional.
07-05-2012, 15:26   #269
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinfull View Post
There was no twist. It was quite clearly telegraphed what was going on here from the get go though some of it only making sense in hindsight. But Still there was no, guessing where this is going, it was just a joyous journey. Virginal death, optional.
Well a twist in the sense that we didn't initially know why the teens were being bumped off. And a twist also in the sense that there was a fairly-legitimate reason for all the bloodshed. As soon as I saw the first lever pulled and the blood pouring into the stonework I twigged it was part of some blood-sacrafice-for-gods dealy. Not trying to be 'that guy' who pretends to have guessed all the unknowns btw
07-05-2012, 15:46   #270
S.M.B.

Well why else would they be pulling a lever that lets blood pour into some stone work? The whole sacrificial theme had been clearly hinted at in the opening credits and the painting scene.

There was no big twist, no big reveal. Just well paced story telling imo.

I do think your "red button" complaint is a valid one but it didn't irritate me in the slightest.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion