Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-02-2012, 22:24   #1
glasso

xperia mini

this is the xperia mini (2nd version not the x10 mini). you can get it on O2 prepay for €99.99. was €130 a week ago.

this is a well reviewed android 2.3 phone with 1 ghz processor, 5mp camera and hd video. Fully capacitive screen. Runs flash.

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phone...eria-mini/158/

review here.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...-993256/review

it's very fast. if you're in the market for a fast small android phone with good camera you won't do much better.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 22:30   #2
glasso

if you want to unlock it for use on another network it's $20 from fastgsm.com for the unlock. the unlock is a bit trickier than normal tho - you need to connect 2 points on the phone with a wire or paperclip as you connect the usb to the pc but a bit of googling and it's no probs.
19-02-2012, 22:51   #3
mytime

There is also €10 cash back for speak easy upgrades or €15 for new customers through fatcheese.
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 23:24   #4
butts

I asked over on the Bargain Request form if anybody has a working discount coupon for O2 as the 'O2COUPON' now comes up as expired. If anyone has a coupon that is working I'd be would be much obliged if they could post it here.
22-02-2012, 15:53   #5
BigCon

I got €22.50 back from fatcheese for buying this!
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 16:45   #6
johnwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCon View Post
I got €22.50 back from fatcheese for buying this!
I thought it would only be €15 ... how did you manage to bump it up to €22.50. Thanks!

OP - thanks too - will be looking into this!
23-02-2012, 08:41   #7
Frank11

I need to unlock this to work with Meteor.
From FastGSM......
"These models require to connect TP (test point) to GND (ground). In such case just short the TP to the ground using metal clip, wire or tweezers and plug the USB cable to the phone. Disconnect TP once software to do so."

Any youtube links for this?

What about the many shops in town offering this service, are they ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso View Post
if you want to unlock it for use on another network it's $20 from fastgsm.com for the unlock. the unlock is a bit trickier than normal tho - you need to connect 2 points on the phone with a wire or paperclip as you connect the usb to the pc but a bit of googling and it's no probs.
23-02-2012, 09:08   #8
TheDriver

There is also a 10%off code around somewhere too which always works.

Was thinking of the samsung Y but this looks much better
23-02-2012, 12:58   #9
Fidelis

A word of warning; there's a 62 page thread on the Sony Ericsson website detailing what's wrong with this phone. It overheats and the screen becomes unusable. The only solution is to bring it to a Sony Ericsson approved service centre and have it 'calibrated'. There are reports of people still having issues with the phone, even after this calibration.
Advertisement
23-02-2012, 13:05   #10
BostonB

I have a mini and have had no problems yet touch wood. That said I wouldn't be using it that heavily, I don't do much demanding stuff on it. I really like it thus far.
(2) thanks from:
23-02-2012, 13:08   #11
jenno86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
A word of warning; there's a 62 page thread on the Sony Ericsson website detailing what's wrong with this phone. It overheats and the screen becomes unusable. The only solution is to bring it to a Sony Ericsson approved service centre and have it 'calibrated'. There are reports of people still having issues with the phone, even after this calibration.
Work in an o2 store, and I've never had one of these back with problems.
Thanks from:
23-02-2012, 13:10   #12
BostonB

Pick any phone and you'll find somewhere on the web with a list of problem. At least SE are trying to fix the problem. Perhaps not many have bought them yet on O2, I've only mine a couple of months.
Thanks from:
23-02-2012, 16:19   #13
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank11 View Post
I need to unlock this to work with Meteor.
From FastGSM......
"These models require to connect TP (test point) to GND (ground). In such case just short the TP to the ground using metal clip, wire or tweezers and plug the USB cable to the phone. Disconnect TP once software to do so."

Any youtube links for this?

What about the many shops in town offering this service, are they ok?
http://androidflip.com/test-points-f...-play-pro-ray/

on this page you'll see a pic for the mini (st15). you need to peel back the sticker under the battery to find it. it will be on the bottom 1/2, slightly on the right. then get a wire and put a safety pin on one end to hit the test point. put the other end to the ground - see st18 pic. these need to be connected as you connect the phone by usb to the pc. keep the battery out. you can't screw your phone up doing this - don't worry. just get the right point tho.

steps in order.

1. buy 1 credit from gsm unlock - 20 dollars. must register with them.
2. download software from their site for unlock.
3. login to software with registration info.
4. should show the credit you have. select unlock
5. when asked to connect phone do so by connecting test points to ground first and keep connected. then put in usb.
6. keep connected until unlock software tells u to do so.
7. will say unlock successful. done. disconnect phone and turn off and on. use whatever sim you want.

there is no youtube for this - I had to piece this together myself so enjoy the benefit of my research!
23-02-2012, 16:21   #14
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonB View Post
Pick any phone and you'll find somewhere on the web with a list of problem. At least SE are trying to fix the problem. Perhaps not many have bought them yet on O2, I've only mine a couple of months.
exactly. if there is overheating on your phone there is a script fix using gscript - google it.
23-02-2012, 16:57   #15
Fidelis

I was only trying to be helpful, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso View Post
if there is overheating on your phone there is a script fix using gscript - google it.
The more prevalent touchscreen issue, which renders your phone useless, needs to be fixed in a service centre - google it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion