Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-02-2012, 19:42   #1
jimmydkid

dog fence

hi, me and my gf are getting a labrador in the coming weeks and we want to have as much organised as possible before the arrival.. we want to get an electronic fence to cover 160 meters approx, so it will hav as much freedom as possible.. could anyone recommend an electronic fence..
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 19:48   #2
Damokc

prepare for an onslaught.

Don't get one. They break etc. and your dog gets out and gets killed
19-02-2012, 19:49   #3
mikom

In before the march of the fur babies.
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 19:52   #4
Hellrazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damokc View Post
prepare for an onslaught.

Don't get one. They break etc. and your dog gets out and gets killed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikom View Post
In before the march of the fur babies.
If you dont have anything to add to the thread then dont post.
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 19:54   #5
Damokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrazer View Post
If you dont have anything to add to the thread then dont post.
I said don't get one, they break. That's what everyone is going to tell him. i just didn't do a big long winded post about attacking the OP "how would he like it if he got electrocuted!
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 19:55   #6
Zapperzy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=75005162
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=65047913
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=73388221
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=77148328

Have a read of the threads above. Shock collars (or electronic fence as you call it) are not recommended by many here. The most efficent, cheapest, safest way is to build some sort of a run or fence off a part of your garden.
(2) thanks from:
19-02-2012, 19:56   #7
RubyGirl

OP, what age it is the dog your going to get. I used one on my lab and it worked great, he wont even pass the front gate now and he's not even wearing the collar. But my other lady just runs thru it and wont come in again cause she know she will get shocked. I ended up putting up a good strong and high fence around the house. Suits them all great now.
U need to watch the battery that it wont die or the electricity wont go and make sure their are no breaks in the wire.
19-02-2012, 19:59   #8
kelly0

Try asking your local pet shop. I got an antibark collar from my local one, they allowed me to bring it back if it didn't work. The electonic fence and bark collars are fairly pricey so having the full refund policy is a must before buying. I haven't used the electronic fence before but from what I gather (like the antibark collars) they can be hit and miss.
19-02-2012, 20:07   #9
lilblackdress

I don't know the name of the collar we used for our dog but it has worked great for us to be honest! My home is in the country so it was important that our dog didn't get out as there are farms in the area etc. I know there are lots of reasons not to have one and i myself wouldn't want to be shocked but it did mean that our dog learned not to go out past the gate way when the collar was on her!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-02-2012, 20:09   #10
mikom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblackdress View Post
I don't know the name of the collar we used for our dog but it has worked great for us to be honest! My home is in the country so it was important that our dog didn't get out as there are farms in the area etc. I know there are lots of reasons not to have one and i myself wouldn't want to be shocked but it did mean that our dog learned not to go out past the gate way when the collar was on her!
Same here.
We use the "petsafe" collar, and have done for the last seven years........ http://www.petsafe.ie/magento/
A field full of sheep and lambs outside our front gate at this time every year as well.
We still keep the gate closed as well, as you can't be too careful.

Two contented dogs lying in the kitchen as I type.

Last edited by mikom; 19-02-2012 at 20:12.
Thanks from:
20-02-2012, 20:39   #11
jimmydkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyGirl View Post
OP, what age it is the dog your going to get. I used one on my lab and it worked great, he wont even pass the front gate now and he's not even wearing the collar. But my other lady just runs thru it and wont come in again cause she know she will get shocked. I ended up putting up a good strong and high fence around the house. Suits them all great now.
U need to watch the battery that it wont die or the electricity wont go and make sure their are no breaks in the wire.
Sounds like there is alot to go wrong with the fence, The dog we are getting is six months old. What sort of fence did you put up around house??
20-02-2012, 20:45   #12
Sigma Force

Going to try not to bang on but..speaking as someone who has a very large garden and 3 dogs of various sizes) and understands the expense and the size involved..you are better off with a solid fence in the long run. For a biggish dog like a lab maybe 6 foot timber posts with heavy chainlink wire..posts are 8 foot but go down in the ground 2 feet.

There are a few options for solid fencing farm relief services might be working checking out even just to price the job.
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2012, 20:45   #13
jimmydkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly0 View Post
Try asking your local pet shop. I got an antibark collar from my local one, they allowed me to bring it back if it didn't work. The electonic fence and bark collars are fairly pricey so having the full refund policy is a must before buying. I haven't used the electronic fence before but from what I gather (like the antibark collars) they can be hit and miss.
Yes your right they seem to be very hit and miss, i wanted to get a fence that is as close to 100% as possible. With so many sheep farms in the area i dont think he will get a second chance if he gets past fence
20-02-2012, 20:52   #14
jimmydkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma Force View Post
Going to try not to bang on but..speaking as someone who has a very large garden and 3 dogs of various sizes) and understands the expense and the size involved..you are better off with a solid fence in the long run. For a biggish dog like a lab maybe 6 foot timber posts with heavy chainlink wire..posts are 8 foot but go down in the ground 2 feet.

There are a few options for solid fencing farm relief services might be working checking out even just to price the job.
Would a dog dig out underneath chainlink wire? i have post and rail fence around most of garden so i might be able to put some sort of wire onto it
20-02-2012, 21:00   #15
Sigma Force

My dogs aren't that way inclined luckily, but if you back fill the fence with a lot of soil they generally won't bother. If a dog is however a bit digger than back filling and topping it with rocks or pouring concrete will work.

We've had the fence up around 7 years and it's only the last summer we've had to start re-back filling the fence which is mainly because wild rabbits wore the area down.

Dogs will generally dig out of boredom so plenty of walking/playtime/chew toys/bones helps.

We have the back up of cill dara run panels as well which are a godsend esp. in a large garden if you for example have to put them somewhere safe while you cut the grass.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion