Strange Facts that go against the grain completely - Page 19 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-02-2012, 01:49   #271
Pdfile
Registered User
 
Pdfile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: (C:)
Posts: 2,069
Send a message via MSN to Pdfile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoStudent View Post
Russia, North Korea, South Korea And Vietnam have a combined military population that is larger then the rest of the worlds combined.

If Russia, North Korea and China combined forces then we would all be fooked.

Vietnam has a larger army than the USA.

america very rarely scraps its old planes and tech, infact most is stored away ready to be used again in future or as cannon fodder in wwIII

who needs a large stand army of inflantry with t-55 tanks and serise II ak-47's when you can rape them with harriers...
Pdfile is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 01:58   #272
kraggy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash23 View Post
Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction
The Flintstones aren't broadcast in Saudi Arabia. They don't allow them.

But Abu Dhabi do!
kraggy is offline  
22-02-2012, 02:00   #273
later12
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,016
If you put 40 strangers into a room at random, the Probability that two people share a birthday is >90%

The Pacific side of the Panama Canal is further East than the Atlantic side of the Panama Canal.

The quickest way to stop a bolting horse is very often to drop the reins entirely, not to pull harder.
later12 is offline  
Thanks from:
22-02-2012, 02:18   #274
kraggy
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoStudent View Post
Russia, North Korea, South Korea And Vietnam have a combined military population that is larger then the rest of the worlds combined.

If Russia, North Korea and China combined forces then we would all be fooked.

Vietnam has a larger army than the USA.
Couting reserves is a bit of a joke. The US has nearly 4 times the number of full time active soldiers that Vietnam has. And that's before you count the navy or airforce which US would hammer Vietnam in terms of full time members.

US also has way more soldiers than Russia. Only one that beats US in terms of soldier numbers is China. They have nearly twice what the US has.

.
kraggy is offline  
22-02-2012, 02:47   #275
TiGeR KiNgS
Registered User
 
TiGeR KiNgS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,049
Strange Fact:

This thread is now about obscure facts rather than facts that go against the grain....fact.
TiGeR KiNgS is offline  
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 02:50   #276
Fromthetrees
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44leto View Post
LOL

Its now there is 24 hour new and newspeak whether there is 24 hours of news worthy news or not, most stories are fillers.

I would love to flick on the 6 one only to hear Sharon say good evening there was no news today, now here is some cartoons to replace this scheduled programme.
Or just had a chat, nothing in particular, I'd say Dobbo has a few decent anecdotes up his sleeve and Sharon could talk about her slutty days when she was in college, who ever's on the sports desk can just ramble off some obscure facts about the GAA, oh and, and, every 7 minutes a horn sounds and they all have to switch seats in a clockwise direction and last to sit down has to do a jaggerbomb and I'm going to stop now...
Fromthetrees is offline  
Thanks from:
22-02-2012, 02:54   #277
uberalles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Booterstown
Posts: 804
Statistically 6 out Ot the 7 dwarfs are not happy
uberalles is offline  
22-02-2012, 04:31   #278
Lanaier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoStudent View Post
Russia, North Korea, South Korea And Vietnam have a combined military population that is larger then the rest of the worlds combined.

If Russia, North Korea and China combined forces then we would all be fooked.

Vietnam has a larger army than the USA.
Larger doesn't mean more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash23 View Post
If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction
Assuming that the current rate of production will be sustained indefinitely, it's already dropping off.....population is set for a large decrease in future.
(Also assuming that there will always be Chinese people or even humans)
Lanaier is offline  
22-02-2012, 04:40   #279
pacquiao
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 399
the north pole is actually magnetic south.
pacquiao is offline  
Advertisement
22-02-2012, 04:56   #280
Lanaier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPSB View Post
Pressing ctrl+alt+down arrow makes your mouse faster.
Always Google any suggested keyboard shortcuts, oh and if you have a "C:\Windows\System32" folder make sure to delete it as viruses use it to corrupt your system.


----------

Against the grain thingy:

You will not explode (or turn inside out) nor will you immediately freeze to death from exposure to the vacuum of space.
The first major potential injury would come from fluid/gas expanding, so you should exhale immediately upon exposure (if you don't you will likely die much sooner).

Water would vaporize when there is no pressure so that would be painful for your mouth and other wet areas but not fatal.

The lack of pressure would also cause nitrogen bubbles in your blood (aka: the bends), probably extremely painful but again not fatal.
Direct exposure to the sun (assuming there is one in the vicinity) would cause instant sunburn.

Due the lack of matter surrounding your body there would be no risk of heat loss until you were long dead from oxygen deprivation so no need to pack an extra sweater if you're planning for the worst on Dec 21st.

According to some website I just googled you would still be totally lucid, awake and have all your higher brain functions for at least 10 seconds after exposure to the vacuum of space, maybe long enough to save yourself (though chances are things are only going to go downhill if you somehow managed to find yourself in this position.)

Apparently your brain and heart will continue to live relatively undamaged for almost two minutes so if some sound aliens happen to swoop in and pump you full of oxygen in an earth-like atmosphere you would actually survive the experience:

" Without intervention in those first ninety seconds, the blood pressure would fall sufficiently that the blood itself would begin to boil, and the heart would stop beating. There are no recorded instances of successful resuscitation beyond that threshold."
Lanaier is offline  
22-02-2012, 05:02   #281
Balfie
Registered User
 
Balfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
Posts: 3,021
Send a message via MSN to Balfie Send a message via Skype™ to Balfie
Reading the word ''Yawn'' makes you want to yawn, seeing someone else yawn also makes you want to yawn.


I'm a cnut I know.
Balfie is offline  
Thanks from:
22-02-2012, 08:36   #282
--Kaiser--
Registered User
 
--Kaiser--'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerqe
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
They shouldn't though . If you actually read my post, they should not be able to fly, until it was observed that they flip their wings over on the upstroke. That is why they can fly.

There was no mention of whatever it was that you linked to.

Until recently we did not know how they flew. . Until it was observed. As was detailed in my post.
Not knowing precisely how something flies is not the same as saying it shouldn't be able to fly. Only a moron would think like that. If you'd read the link I gave, this stupid myth arose because a scientist, in joking, mentioned that if you applied the same theories of aerodynamic lift from planes to bees, then they wouldn't be able to fly. Facetious, of course, as bees aren't planes and can flap their wings.

Quod Erat Shut the Fvck Up
--Kaiser-- is offline  
Thanks from:
22-02-2012, 08:39   #283
mikemac1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash23 View Post

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.
Are you quoting facts off Father Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmao View Post
If you say gullible really slow, it sounds like oranges.
mikemac1 is offline  
22-02-2012, 08:41   #284
ash23
Registered User
 
ash23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemac1 View Post
Are you quoting facts off Father Ted

Shhhh...
A good journalist never reveals her sources.
ash23 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-02-2012, 09:19   #285
working fool
Registered User
 
working fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: meath
Posts: 747
Towing a Toyota Prius in reverse at 70mph will produce petrol
working fool is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet