Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-02-2012, 12:45   #61
Kess73
Category Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Kess73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazotheamazing View Post
You're talking about the current city boundary, I'm talking about the real one. Total up the populations of Moyross, Southill, the Island Field and Weston and I don't think it's much more than 6,000. It's certainly nowhere near enough to justify the precdence it gets over roughly 90,000 people. Afaik, the 44% figure is also a historical figure, i don't think it's a current one.

I think that if you did total up the populations of those areas and the areas that are joined onto them that you would get a figure far higher than 6,000. Southill on it's own is listed as having a population of between 3,000 and 4,000.

Moyross has a listed population of between 3,400 and 4,000.

So those two alone come to between 6,000 and 8,000.

Now throw in Weston, The Island field and a few other areas involved and I think you could be at least doubling your original figure.

44% is not a historical figure btw. The official 2006 figure was 41% and the published 2010 figure was 44%.
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 13:04   #62
Amazotheamazing
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess73 View Post
I think that if you did total up the populations of those areas and the areas that are joined onto them that you would get a figure far higher than 6,000. Southill on it's own is listed as having a population of between 3,000 and 4,000.

Moyross has a listed population of between 3,400 and 4,000.

So those two alone come to between 6,000 and 8,000.

Now throw in Weston, The Island field and a few other areas involved and I think you could be at least doubling your original figure.

44% is not a historical figure btw. The official 2006 figure was 41% and the published 2010 figure was 44%.
Even if we double it and say it's 12,000, that still doesn't justify the impact it has on how the city is seen.

the 41% refers to within the city boundary, so excluding Castletroy, Raheen, etc, which would significantly lower it.

Eitherway, it's a story that dominates Limerick far beyond it's size.
21-02-2012, 13:17   #63
liammur
Closed Account

there's no doubt it's high, and no doubt it gets far too much attention.

In fact every time I read the local papers, practically nothing in them apart from rugby, regeneration and out&about!
21-02-2012, 13:51   #64
europa11

Just caught a glance at tonights' "Leader".

Headline reads something like "Long to lead mission to China"

Expect a call from the Chinese Air Force shortly.
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 14:37   #65
constantg

so the paypal jobs have gone to Dundalk i hear....http://irishexaminer.com/breakingnew...bs-540649.html
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 15:15   #66
Mc Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa11 View Post

God help us all-he might bring niall Collins with him and stay there
(2) thanks from:
21-02-2012, 20:00   #67
Raiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkid View Post
disappointed with this.Seems Noonan and Jan O Sullivan are going to be as useless as Willie O Dea was.

Nothing announced for the Mid West in years. You can have as many regeneration projects as you want but without jobs this region will continue to slide.
In my opinion the only thing Michael Noonan ever brought back to Limerick was shame and disgrace to himself and his family over his horrific, inhuman and cruelly callous treatment of the Hepatitis C victims and in particular the brave Bridget McCole who he publically mocked even days after her death due to the negligence of the Blood Transfusion Services Board a fact that had been passed to the government by the attorney general prior to this foul and sickening act.

His political career should have ended then and there when he stood up in the Dail and showed us all what kind of a man he is
21-02-2012, 20:08   #68
Mc Love

If it wasnt for Michael Noonan we wouldnt have the top facilities we have in the regional today! be thankful for having that on your doorstep
21-02-2012, 21:21   #69
niallers1

Quote:

My Good Jesus... We're Fu@ked
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 22:35   #70
crackcrack30

sinking ship

what was the last large/medium scale multinational to be attracted into limerick and how long ago?
21-02-2012, 22:38   #71
Raiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Love View Post
If it wasnt for Michael Noonan we wouldnt have the top facilities we have in the regional today! be thankful for having that on your doorstep
He could have built an 80,000 seater ice hockey rink in Limerick, and it would have still been for the same reason, to win votes to allow him to continue to live off the fat off the land and further feather his stinking noonan nest.

As it happens it was additions to the Regional Hospital, and as it happens he will die a fat, rich, conscienceless and utterly vile man (just my own opinion)

- Thats Irish democracy for you, get exposed as a moral vacuum with the decency of a slug and ethics of grave robber and you will be rewarded with a massive annual salary, lavish expenses and a ridiculous pension.

Also for the record, due to the personal empire building of the local greedy hospital Admins/Consultants and local politicicians the Regional now serves half of Ireland so chances are that if you live in Dooradoyle and bring a seriously sick child in there they face a lottery for medical care due to sheer numbers as the staffing freeze unfortunately collides with the decision to cater for any number of surrounding counties........ ie. end result for all will be laying on a trolley in a cold grey corridor and praying to whatever god happens to be on yer Mammys wall.......
21-02-2012, 22:40   #72
Kess73
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackcrack30 View Post
what was the last large/medium scale multinational to be attracted into limerick and how long ago?

My guess would be Dell in terms of being the last company that came to Limerick and provided 1,000 + jobs. That would have been a little over 20 years ago. Don't think anything close to that size has opened in Limerick since then.
21-02-2012, 22:42   #73
Kess73
Category Moderator

Quote:

Feckers read my post from this morning about Chinese investment.
Thanks from:
22-02-2012, 10:13   #74
crackcrack30

multi.

Vistakon 16 yrs, couldnt believe it, u'd expect something at leat every 5 yrs.............when was the last time dundalk got something????

Dont even mention cork or dublin
22-02-2012, 11:45   #75
liammur
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackcrack30 View Post
Vistakon 16 yrs, couldnt believe it, u'd expect something at leat every 5 yrs.............when was the last time dundalk got something????

Dont even mention cork or dublin
Galway has got about 10 big multinationals in since 1997. FF really destroyed this region, it used to be thriving until Bertie Ahern took over.

There are a thousand more jobs on the way I read recently, none for Limerick.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion