Considered Wrestling Training? - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-02-2012, 12:27   #46
gimmick

Ive been training in Kickboxing and Muay Thai for about a year now, both of which are fairly intense cardio work outs. I would love to give some pro wrestling training a go, if for no other reason, just to see how intense the cardio is needed to be able to compete in relation to what I am doing already.

Alas, Bray is a long way from home and having spent a few days there last year, I vowed I would never step foot there again (sorry Bray folk )
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 12:49   #47
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Haughy View Post
Do you mean physically not cut out for stuff in ring = overweight/obese or do you mean they might have a condition preventing them doing anything in the ring? If its the former then sorry to be blunt, but its as good a chance one would get to shed some pounds and get to decent fitness and would get to do it while trying something out not many else would have done. Its not like your going to be getting thrown through tables or hit with chairs or choke slammed by 7ft guys, although id love to see what its like to get thrown through one of those WWE tables

I was under the impression that people here would be interested in this for the exercise and getting an idea of what goes on in pro wrestling training, and not to actually try for work from it? Like what organisations actually use managers these days?
well im sure many here would want to just want to try it to see what goes into it and get a bit fit but you never know some might be more interested in giving it a try if they thought it was something they could possibly pursue if they could. The not physically up for it thing wasnt that someone would bo obeses but more akin to say the post below (though obviously ive no idea how serious this person may or may not be just an example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianregan09 View Post
I would love to try it but i have Cystic Fibrosis so that would put pay to that, I'd love to be a manager or promo guy like someone else on the thread mentioned I'm pretty sure i'd be okay at it, As i can take off any accent or voice from TV shows or whatever and all my friends say im hilarious doing jokes or whatever so im pretty sure i'd be useful enough lol
I myself dont think i'd be capable of doing it due to years of injuries with Rugby among other sports. My back is not good and I dont know if I could handle all gthe bumps for instance and thats not going into things like how I broke my sturnum before amongst other things. However it is something I would consider that I have a passion for and i'd imagine others might feel similarily and thus might enjoy getting involved in it. As I said though it wasnt fully about this offer as im just curious if places offer the chance for people to get ivolved on the non wrestling side in any form.

I dont think managers are actually used all that often as you say but in my opinion that doesent mean they shouldnt be, though obviously id expect more to come from being former wrestlers etc.
21-02-2012, 12:54   #48
GTR63
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
Bray is a long way from home and having spent a few days there last year, I vowed I would never step foot there again (sorry Bray folk )
I did the same thing when I stayed in Birmingham and said NEVER again. I'd love to give this a go but its too far and my back gives me enough problems already, probably for the best.
21-02-2012, 13:00   #49
Charlie Haughy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
I myself dont think i'd be capable of doing it due to years of injuries with Rugby among other sports. My back is not good and I dont know if I could handle all gthe bumps for instance and thats not going into things like how I broke my sturnum before amongst other things. However it is something I would consider that I have a passion for and i'd imagine others might feel similarily and thus might enjoy getting involved in it. As I said though it wasnt fully about this offer as im just curious if places offer the chance for people to get ivolved on the non wrestling side in any form.

I dont think managers are actually used all that often as you say but in my opinion that doesent mean they shouldnt be, though obviously id expect more to come from being former wrestlers etc.
Ah i see, thats understandable. Yeah i play rugby myself and already can feel the back and shoulder problems coming and im only 21.

Yeah im not sure what criteria is needed to be a manager, where if you need to have been a pro wrestler before any company would hire you. id imagine it would be like acting classes for being a manager.

Its a pity booking/creative writing is such a kind of tight knit community and not like normal journalism, as id love to try that out.
21-02-2012, 14:06   #50
FFPW Office

Send a message via MSN to FFPW Office
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post

Just a question (and its not really related to this offer) but what do you guys do if someone comes along but is as a few have said perhaps more interested in a role as a manager or something because physically they maybe know they arent cut out for the in ring stuff.

We are crying out for non-wrestler personality right now. We have a show on the 4th of March and we Have 20 wrestlers to choose from but not one referee, no announcers, no music guy, we have 1 or 2 managers, but that's it. So, if anyone wants to come down and train up in a different field than other than in-ring wrestling. That is fine with us.

I'll open the school on the Saturday the 24th of March for the PW Boards training day. Is that date a problem for most?

Last edited by FFPW Office; 22-02-2012 at 15:45. Reason: Change of date.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 14:11   #51
Lord TSC

Mod: Soccer
The fact it's St. Patrick's Day will probably put some people off tbh. Not that I'll make it either way, but it's going to be used as to the excuse why people won't go...
21-02-2012, 19:39   #52
The Volt

I'm game for Paddy's Day! Or an earlier one!
21-02-2012, 20:30   #53
Justin Ternet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Haughy View Post
Its not like your going to be getting thrown through tables or hit with chairs or choke slammed by 7ft guys, although id love to see what its like to get thrown through one of those WWE tables
Actually last year alone I was put through two tables, hit by countless chairs and chokeslammed three times by a 7ft guy. Just saying.

I suppose Paddys day would do but I'd prefer a day that I wont have the possibility of being sued for teaching people to wrestle while extremely intoxicated. I look forward to seeing some of you make it to this session Im sure you'll enjoy it and at least if it's only a one day thing you can say you tried it. For people who are giving excuses as to why they wont do it just give it a shot for one day, believe me when I say whatever excuses you have I have too (out of shape, injury , distance etc). One day to try it out, nothing ventured nothing gained. Plus we're about 50 feet from a great pub if you need scoops.

As for the non wrestling roles we'd love a few people to come along for manager/referee places. There are always room for newcomers in every aspect.
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 21:44   #54
montyrebel

in all fairness Justin, when Tron (I assume thats the 7 footer you are talking about) having him put you through a table must surely be considered an honour even as painful as it may be. The man is simply a beast and great to watch
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 21:49   #55
Justin Ternet

Chokeslams and tables were separate occurrences. I job alot in variety of ways, its my thing.
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 22:34   #56
brianregan09

I wold love to do some mic work, be it as a manager, announcer whatever i live in limerick though so brays out for me
22-02-2012, 15:45   #57
FFPW Office

Send a message via MSN to FFPW Office
Didn't realise Paddy's day was the 17th so...

We'll open the school for you guys on the 24th of March... Sound good?
(2) thanks from:
24-02-2012, 22:43   #58
Justin Ternet

If we could get a show of hands maybe to see how many lads if any are thinking of going to the boards only training session. It'd be good to see what numbers we might be looking at having so we can organise things.
26-02-2012, 00:24   #59
Charisteas

Saw you at the MSW show tonight Justin but didn't get a chance to chat to you about this, always seemed to be other people chatting to you.

It's an awesome offer and opportunity, I am interested but at the same giving it a bit more thought before I give a definitive yes.
Thanks from:
26-02-2012, 00:56   #60
GTR63
Closed Account

Just imagine if there was a Boardsie show down the line, that'd be awesome. Pity it'd be a hard sell to the punters we'd have to build up our own characters on herd which would destroy this forum.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion