Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSU President Elections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

horsemeat wrote: »
    Hi Thomas,

Can I ask as regards your involvement/affiliation with Fianna Fail/Fianna Fail Ogra?

Do you think this will affect your ability/focus to do your day to day job working for the post graduate students? You may have to make decisions/choices which conflict with the official party line etc

Reply From Thomas:

As is the case with most of the current and past sabbatical officers, the existence of a party allegiance is quite common amongst candidates running for electoral positions within universities. However, all sabbatical positions are non-political appointments. The PSU president is elected to represent Post Graduate students and their needs, and not implement policies of any party. Any political affiliations are left at the door in the role, and the needs of the postgraduate community which I am elected to represent come first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

i though tom was a decent lad but if he's another fianna failer like derek i'd have to go with the other lad spillane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Wow what a disgusting post. Hope that wasn't thomas ryan who did that.

sorry I see it's been ninja edited. not before a few of us saw it though. nice to see true colours shine through at election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Wow what a disgusting post. Hope that wasn't thomas ryan who did that.

sorry I see it's been ninja edited. not before a few of us saw it though. nice to see true colours shine through at election time.

What's this all about?

Also, what's so awful about both candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fogey88

BRING BACK DAN!! The man with the plan. I was delighted to work with Dan, as Vice President. Well done to Sarah over past year.
    Votin for Thomas, best of luck!

What do people think of the student centre plans re postgrads???!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnny87

has neone frm mary i every been on psa? research postgrads need stronger representation out here lads

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

I heard that Fogarty fellow who was vice chair made a balls of things so I did!

absolutely disgust with thomas ryan's smear campaign there. I do saw exactly what he posted and insinuated.

I will definitely be voting for spillane now.

cambridge wrote: »
    absolutely disgust with thomas ryan's smear campaign there. I do saw exactly what he posted and insinuated.

I will definitely be voting for spillane now.
    What bulls**t are u on about now Cambridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just voted.........

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Connection problem on the PC in A1-084.

Can't vote yet lads......

Any problems voting call in to the SU and ask for Roisin she'll sort out voting for you.

What bulls**t are u on about now Cambridge?

another boards user i identified as Thomas Ryan posted a link up to a BEBO account of guy called Cian Spillane. A completely different person to the PSU candidate. The bebo belonged to a 19 year old and hadn't been updated in 3 years. The bebo made some homophobic account and thomas ryan's boards account tried to imply that cian spillane is a homophobe.

If anyone disagrees get the moderator to show you the deleted post.

Ryan has lost all credibility in my eyes.

Not exactly the actions of
    a) a post grad student; clearly the guy is devoid of any maturity.
    b) the whole thing strikes me as very petulant, thomas a bit sour cause his little fianna fail secret was revealed. I wouldn't have been keen on him anyway as a result of his political leanings, but that childish behaviour is ill befitting anyone who wants to represent a populus.

I spoke to Thomas and he really didn't strike me as being a very intelligent individual. A bit on the slow side, probably isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

Hope Cian wins.

Not exactly the actions of
    a) a post grad student; clearly the guy is devoid of any maturity.
    b) the whole thing strikes me as very petulant, thomas a bit sour cause his little fianna fail secret was revealed. I wouldn't have been keen on him anyway as a result of his political leanings, but that childish behaviour is ill befitting anyone who wants to represent a populus.

I spoke to Thomas and he really didn't strike me as being a very intelligent individual. A bit on the slow side, probably isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

Hope Cian wins.

Hold yer horses biys - A: Is that actually Thomas Ryan who posted this now- phantom post, or someone trying to (ironically) smear Thomas' campaign by posing as him?

B: This isn't the Irish presidential election. Is a candidate for the PSU really going to link to a Bebo account that acrimoniously? Surely, surely not.

C: I know Bored Accountant has the whole agent psychology thing going on, and that's perfectly fine, but why isn't Thomas replying himself, rather than dictating replies? Is Bored Accountant actually Thomas speaking in the third person?

another boards user i identified as Thomas Ryan posted a link up to a BEBO account of guy called Cian Spillane. A completely different person to the PSU candidate. The bebo belonged to a 19 year old and hadn't been updated in 3 years. The bebo made some homophobic account and thomas ryan's boards account tried to imply that cian spillane is a homophobe.

If anyone disagrees get the moderator to show you the deleted post.

Ryan has lost all credibility in my eyes.

Well I can tell ya I've been with Thomas all day and he's been nowhere near a computer all day so can't have been him. Fair play to the mod to remove it immediately cause that sort of thing is not called for in any election campaign.
    I've been keeping an eye on boards on my phone and never saw it, so i'd say very few saw it.

Hold yer horses biys - A: Is that actually Thomas Ryan who posted this now- phantom post, or someone trying to (ironically) smear Thomas' campaign by posing as him?

B: This isn't the Irish presidential election. Is a candidate for the PSU really going to link to a Bebo account that acrimoniously? Surely, surely not.

C: I know Bored Accountant has the whole agent psychology thing going on, and that's perfectly fine, but why isn't Thomas replying himself, rather than dictating replies? Is Bored Accountant actually Thomas speaking in the third person?

Thomas doesn't have a boards account so I said i'd post up on his behalf and let him concentrate on meeting people rather than having any abuse/rumours thrown at him affecting his head while campaigning.

Secondly I'm not Thomas Ryan.
    I have no bother identifying myself as Mark O'Donovan, President of the Handball Club.

Thomas doesn't have a boards account so I said i'd post up on his behalf and let him concentrate on meeting people rather than having any abuse/rumours thrown at him affecting his head while campaigning.

Secondly I'm not Thomas Ryan.
    I have no bother identifying myself as Mark O'Donovan, President of the Handball Club.

Cheers for that.

I guess my real point was to Horsemeat - that whoever put up that post (that I didn't see) can surely have nothing to do with Thomas Ryan's campaign, and therefore doesn't deserve contempt on that one issue at least. Your own opinions are your own obviously.

how do we know it wasn't thomas? the person who made the posts was a member of ff oige, as is thomas.

i think the moderator needs to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

i think the moderator needs to sort this out.
    A moderator needs to sort you out.

Here's the profile of the person who did it.

posts deleted from forums but still visible under account gp.

highly likely it's thomas ryan

http://www.boards.ie/search/?u=454271&sort=newest

• Advertisement

right lads

Post 1 (part)
    99astra wrote:
    this is repeating itself. its irrelevant. Both candidates are awful but at least Thomas Ryan is capable of bringing the PSU up to scratch and he understands and talks about the issues facing research ..

Post 2
    99astra wrote:

right. what do people think. I think 99astra is either Thomas Ryan or a good friend of his. This is a shill 101. I'll leave it up to the rest of you to decide wheter Thomas Ryan made these posts, put your man up to it, or the fella thought he was acting in TR's interests but didn't have his approval.

Either way, the candidate hasn't impressed me.

Decryptor wrote: »
    A moderator needs to sort you out.

attack the post not the poster.

post reported.

right lads vote early for often

e6s6n.jpg

how do we know it wasn't thomas? the person who made the posts was a member of ff oige, as is thomas.

Well I can tell ya it wasn't Thomas cause he isn't a member of FF Oige as far back as any of them posts. The length he's in it, I would hardly even consider him a proper member.

As soon as you look at the bebo profile. its fairly obvious that its a different Cian Spillane since he's from Cork, so a quite poor attempt at a slur campaign.

If anyone had bothered to turn up for the hustings rather than just the 2 campaigners friends, they would have gotten a chance to grill both candidates and see how they react.

Cian has included in his manifesto to allow 4th years to vote. I think that would only open a can of worms and alienate research post grads. But if ye want that vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

attack the post not the poster.

post reported.
    OMG! How could you?! I could report your post for stupidity.

Well I can tell ya it wasn't Thomas cause he isn't a member of FF Oige as far back as any of them posts. The length he's in it, I would hardly even consider him a proper member.

As soon as you look at the bebo profile. its fairly obvious that its a different Cian Spillane since he's from Cork, so a quite poor attempt at a slur campaign.

If anyone had bothered to turn up for the hustings rather than just the 2 campaigners friends, they would have gotten a chance to grill both candidates and see how they react.

Cian has included in his manifesto to allow 4th years to vote. I think that would only open a can of worms and alienate research post grads. But if ye want that vote for him.

right fair enough. i'll have to take you word on it. i guess i owe tommy an apology (assuming you're all telling the truth).

tbh i'd get nothing out of embarrassing the two lads in public.

right fair enough. i'll have to take you word on it. i guess i owe tommy an apology (assuming you're all telling the truth).

tbh i'd get nothing out of embarrassing the two lads in public.

Probably wouldn't have been a lot more productive to have been tearing the two boy's manifestos apart and what there going to do for you rather than political affiliations. It comes up in every sabbatical election and at the end of the day doesn't make any difference because there elected to represent the students, not any party.

listen, when a lad puts worked part time in lidl has some kind of quality aspect of his election manifesto you know something is wrong.

post-grad dip in computing? i'd imagine he barely knows any html. it very fairly ambitious getting the website redone (unless he wants to go and spend 20k on it like the su did).

he's not a real post grad. he's doing a micky mouse diploma designed for people who are can't get jobs. it's basically just stuff people in first year cs do.he wants a job, any job will do and instead of going to get a job in lidl as a manager again and have 25 people compete with you, he's in this two horse race.

he doesn't know anything about science, he knows nothing about research. He's basically said so as well. i'd be very weary, as a phd candidate having this fella in charge of the psu, as impotent a role it is.

he's a business grad from some ****ty it doing a graddip in it...don't touch him with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

listen, when a lad puts worked part time in lidl has some kind of quality aspect of his election manifesto you know something is wrong.

post-grad dip in computing? i'd imagine he barely knows any html. it very fairly ambitious getting the website redone (unless he wants to go and spend 20k on it like the su did).

he's not a real post grad. he's doing a micky mouse diploma designed for people who are can't get jobs. it's basically just stuff people in first year cs do.he wants a job, any job will do and instead of going to get a job in lidl as a manager again and have 25 people compete with you, he's in this two horse race.

he doesn't know anything about science, he knows nothing about research. He's basically said so as well. i'd be very weary, as a phd candidate having this fella in charge of the psu, as impotent a role it is.

he's a business grad from some ****ty it doing a graddip in it...don't touch him with a barge pole.

Still flinging mud?

Do you have anything to back up these assertions?

• Advertisement

ciaran, this is about the 10th time you ask me to prove common knowledge. you literally must know nothing about anything. you have no life skills, no street smarts, no common sense, no general knowledge. I told you UL is rife with petty theft, you say "no it isn't, show me proof". open your eyes.

I tell you a graddip in IT isn't work the price of the parchment. educate yourself on it, you don't even know what a graduate diploma is, so how dare you try and contradict me. as is said in the other thread, i'm not replying to any more of your trolls. good luck.

Advertisement