Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO Question - new site or 301 to old site?

• 14-02-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭

I've been mulling over the idea of a new web directory with some enhanced features. The problem is that I don't know whether I should use a category killer domain name (exact keyword match) for a new site or 301 redirect it to an existing 12 year old site with a web directory section. Would it be best to build a new site with the new domain name or would there be any SEO advantage in redirecting it to the old site?

Regards..jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Based on your post, I would use the killer domain name - as the benefits of using that should outweigh the benefits of the domain authority of your 12 year old site. However it also depends on your plan/vision for the directory site. If you have reasonably big plans for it, I would definitely use the new domain. If you see it as more of an 'add-on' or relatively small directory/resource, then it might be worth looking at tacking it on to the existing website.

So, it depends on your goals I would say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭jmcc

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Based on your post, I would use the killer domain name - as the benefits of using that should outweigh the benefits of the domain authority of your 12 year old site.
    Well the 12 year old site deals with statistics and other data (currently updating some of it). The killer domain is probably best as I can fold in a modified search engine as well.
    However it also depends on your plan/vision for the directory site.
    Optimistically, it will dominate the Irish web directory market. But it would require some work to get it to that stage.
    If you have reasonably big plans for it, I would definitely use the new domain.
    Well it is not going to be a global Googlekiller. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

jmcc wrote: »
    I've been mulling over the idea of a new web directory with some enhanced features. The problem is that I don't know whether I should use a category killer domain name (exact keyword match) for a new site or 301 redirect it to an existing 12 year old site with a web directory section. Would it be best to build a new site with the new domain name or would there be any SEO advantage in redirecting it to the old site?

Regards..jmcc

My understanding is that the main function of 301 is to preserve existing rankings when you transfer. As (I'm assuming) your new domain has no ranking a 301 redirect would be of no more benefit than, say, domain forwarding.

In the scenario you suggest I'd have thought redirecting the old domain and urls to the new keyword-rich domain to be the best option.

cormee wrote: »
    My understanding is that the main function of 301 is to preserve existing rankings when you transfer. As (I'm assuming) your new domain has no ranking a 301 redirect would be of no more benefit than, say, domain forwarding.
    I just checked the ranking and it has no PR. Basically I was thinking that it would funnel random traffic to the old site. However it looks like I'll be splitting the old site and using the category killer domain for its own site.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

If there is no PR and it's a traffic grab - the new domain would be the better option IMO

• Advertisement

IRE60 wrote: »
    If there is no PR and it's a traffic grab - the new domain would be the better option IMO
    Looks like I've a lot of web site descriptions/reviews to write then. :)

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement