[Rejected] Car Detailing Sub Forum off Motors - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

14-02-2012, 12:39   #1
fitzgeme

Car Detailing Sub Forum off Motors

Car detailing is a growing and popular pastime. There are some large dedicated site such as detailing world but a Irish section would be nice to discuss products, methods and show examples etc.
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 13:54   #2
TestTransmission

The detailing thread has 260 posts in just over 3 months. While I would think it could be a good idea ,there's simply not enough interest/traffic for it .
(2) thanks from:
14-02-2012, 15:45   #3
fitzgeme

Fair point, 90 posts a months is still a fairly large number. I see a lot of familiar names on Detailing world and assume it would grown organically if there was a dedicated forum.
14-02-2012, 16:08   #4
Zaph
On sabbatical - dial 0 for assistance

90 posts a month is nothing, it's only 3 posts a day. There would want to be substantially more traffic before this could even be considered for a forum imo.
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 16:43   #5
helimachoptor
Talk to Heli

Sorry to hijack Fitz... but Zaph is there a threshold for this type of stuff (have my own request in for a new forum)
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 17:02   #6
TestTransmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgeme View Post
Fair point, 90 posts a months is still a fairly large number.
Not for motors it isn't, it's tiny.I'd love to see this but unless there's an explosion of people using the detailing thread I can't see it being warranted.
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 17:29   #7
Zaph
On sabbatical - dial 0 for assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimachoptor View Post
Sorry to hijack Fitz... but Zaph is there a threshold for this type of stuff (have my own request in for a new forum)
Not really. What I posted was only my opinion rather than an official position, but I think it would be hard to justify a new forum based on an average of three posts a day.
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 17:32   #8
vectra
"Quick Silver"

Send a message via Skype™ to vectra
I think it would be a lot busier if it was a dedicated forum. It is sort of hidden away at present in the DIY section.
I do think there is good potential there
14-02-2012, 18:17   #9
Curran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectra View Post
I think it would be a lot busier if it was a dedicated forum. It is sort of hidden away at present in the DIY section.
I do think there is good potential there
+1 to the above!

Also, just checked the first post on the current thread....29th of November!
Between then and now we hardly had the weather and the daylight in the evenings, that would be ideal for car cleaning - reckon there will be a lot more traffic from next month onwards and its currently a bit hidden, as mentioned
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 18:23   #10
MetzgerMeister
Ich bin nur ein böser Traum

In fairness, it's no wonder there's such few posts in the detailing thread. Not only due to this being the wrong time of year, but also in order to get to the detailing thread, you have to go Motoring > Motors > DIY/Maintenance > Detailing Thread.

With regard to the DIY sub-forum - the way I saw it was that if you had a DIY, you made a post on the steps involved along with photos if possible. Instead it's being mis-used and is full of threads which really should be in the main motors forum.

Last edited by MetzgerMeister; 14-02-2012 at 18:28.
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 18:27   #11
Curran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
in order to get to the detailing thread, you have to go Motoring > Motors > DIY/Maintenance > Detailing Thread..
How about a trial run.....

Motoring > Motors > Detailing Thread (Sticky)
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 18:53   #12
fitzgeme

I think the argument about the number of post on a single thread is a bit of a nonsense. Detailing is huge in the UK. It has entire dedicated forums and is a multi million pound industry. There are at least 8 professional detailers in this country, 3 dedicated Irish on-line shops at least. People are not posting because there is nowhere to post about this stuff. When I see forums about pro wrestling, shooting, discworld sustainable living, hobby radio, individual tv shoes etc I really think that the interest in detailing would put these in the shadows. There is a cleaning and detailing section on BMW-Driver.net that is quite popular (http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13) and that forum has a tiny fraction of the users boards.ie has.

It would also attract advertisers and generate a good few click throughs on targeted ads, specifically at a group or users that buy nearly everything on-line.

Last edited by fitzgeme; 15-02-2012 at 08:48.
(4) thanks from:
14-02-2012, 20:11   #13
MetzgerMeister
Ich bin nur ein böser Traum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgeme View Post
It would also attract advertisers and generate a good few click throughs on targeted ads, specifically at a group or users that buy nearly everything online.
...which would lead to users buying products from that site and being able to post in the detailing forum about it. Also it might happen that these companies would provide group buys and generate even more posts on the detailing forum.
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 20:50   #14
vectra
"Quick Silver"

Send a message via Skype™ to vectra
^^ Two good posts there
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 21:38   #15
Northern Monkey

Would it be possible to have a trial run and if it doesn't get the volume just move the threads back to motoring?

At the minute I would never think to look in DIY for a detailing thread.
Forum Closed