Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who's going to win the Champion Hurdle
Hurricane Fly 85 70.83%
Zarkandar 7 5.83%
Binocular 13 10.83%
Grandouet 0 0%
Oscars Well 2 1.67%
Rock on Ruby 8 6.67%
Other (please specify) 5 4.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 19:23   #271
Shane732
Moderator
 
Shane732's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,264
Odds on - Paddy Power standing it up at 10/11
Shane732 is offline  
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 20:06   #272
tomdillon2012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 13
Binocular to win dont think Hurricane Fly is suited to Chelt track, Binocular a course specialist. I think the Fly is underpriced @ odds on. Surely Sizing europe represents better value if you want something @ that price. Binocular e/w for me
tomdillon2012 is offline  
05-03-2012, 20:16   #273
RichieLawlor
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdillon2012 View Post
Binocular to win dont think Hurricane Fly is suited to Chelt track, Binocular a course specialist. I think the Fly is underpriced @ odds on. Surely Sizing europe represents better value if you want something @ that price. Binocular e/w for me
Make up your mind
RichieLawlor is offline  
Thanks from:
05-03-2012, 20:43   #274
jimjamcos
Registered User
 
jimjamcos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdillon2012 View Post
Binocular to win dont think Hurricane Fly is suited to Chelt track, Binocular a course specialist. I think the Fly is underpriced @ odds on. Surely Sizing europe represents better value if you want something @ that price. Binocular e/w for me
If you watch last years Champion Hurdle you'll see Hurricane Fly pulled very hard from the start yet still had enough left in the tank to battle a tough Peddlers up the hill. In fact, Mullins has since stated he was disappointed with last years winning run!

Now to this year... Mullins says The Fly's most recent win was he best ever! Why? Crucially, Mullins noted that they were fearful for the horse's chances that day (hence the alarming drift) as he didn't have the usual "boldness" beforehand. He would, with hindsight given the exhibition that followed, later suggest that this may simply be because the horse has matured and settles better.


Binocular's run against Celestial Halo, while impressive, doesn't hold up to The Fly's equally devastating showing against much better quality in Oscars Well, Thousand Stars and Unaccompanied.


Conclusion: While Binocular is definitely worth an each-way bet, The Fly is proven at Cheltenham, will settle better this year and have more left in the tank to power up the hill. Only one winner I'm afraid!
jimjamcos is offline  
Thanks from:
05-03-2012, 21:13   #275
tomdillon2012
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 13
Binocular to swot the fly up the hill. . Would you rather back a quevega big bucks double @ 6/4 or hurricane fly @ 10/11
tomdillon2012 is offline  
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 21:44   #276
Shane732
Moderator
 
Shane732's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdillon2012 View Post
Binocular to swot the fly up the hill. . Would you rather back a quevega big bucks double @ 6/4 or hurricane fly @ 10/11
With Quevega you're hoping that Mullins turns her out right first time and that the mares race is pretty weak. Personally I fancy Quevega - even if she's not 100% I think she'll beat the rest of the field.

I think a Mullins treble may be on the cards. What about the fourfold for Ruby - including Kauto in the mix!

You can get somewhere around the 5/2 mark on the treble.
Shane732 is offline  
05-03-2012, 22:47   #277
jimjamcos
Registered User
 
jimjamcos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdillon2012 View Post
Binocular to swot the fly up the hill. . Would you rather back a quevega big bucks double @ 6/4 or hurricane fly @ 10/11
If I was going big I'd do the single on Hurricane Fly definitely. Ruby laughs when asked has he any worries about The Fly whereas he warns that it would be a major feat for Quevega and Big Bucks, while massive favourites in weaker looking fields, to take their respective races for the fourth year. Oscar Whiskey, although not proven over World Hurdle trip, scares me as I ALWAYS FEAR THE UNKNOWN.

I've all 3 done in numurous ways anyway so I'll be a loser if any are beat!
jimjamcos is offline  
06-03-2012, 18:22   #278
mr.jingle
Registered User
 
mr.jingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane732 View Post
With Quevega you're hoping that Mullins turns her out right first time and that the mares race is pretty weak. Personally I fancy Quevega - even if she's not 100% I think she'll beat the rest of the field.

I think a Mullins treble may be on the cards. What about the fourfold for Ruby - including Kauto in the mix!

You can get somewhere around the 5/2 mark on the treble.
Who are the three in your Mullins treble?

With Paddy power giving better prices on all Ruby Walsh's mounts in March including the Festival then i can see you getting even's there on the day. Personally can see him going off around 10/11 on the day. Personally i can only see Zarkandar as his only real challenger this year as he's unexposed compared to some of the others
mr.jingle is offline  
06-03-2012, 19:33   #279
jimjamcos
Registered User
 
jimjamcos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jingle View Post
Who are the three in your Mullins treble?

With Paddy power giving better prices on all Ruby Walsh's mounts in March including the Festival then i can see you getting even's there on the day. Personally can see him going off around 10/11 on the day. Personally i can only see Zarkandar as his only real challenger this year as he's unexposed compared to some of the others
Ruby says Zarkander wont have the pace for CH and that Binocular is the main danger. Can't be having Zarkander given Ruby refuses to give him a chance!
jimjamcos is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-03-2012, 19:45   #280
UrbanSea
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18,293
I remember reading before though that Ruby never really rated Zarkandar
UrbanSea is offline  
06-03-2012, 19:52   #281
Colonel Sanders
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,624
Good support for Rock On Ruby today in the champion market

While I think HF will win of the so called "good things" he surely faces the stiffest opposition
Colonel Sanders is offline  
06-03-2012, 19:53   #282
jimjamcos
Registered User
 
jimjamcos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSea View Post
I remember reading before though that Ruby never really rated Zarkandar
And it seems he still doesn't when it's up against proven CH class in The Fly and Binocular! Paul Nicholls has been tipping it up as a brilliant each way bet at the Festival but it screams out to me why a superb race judge such as Ruby hasn't done likewise given he's rode the horse and the horse has done absolutely everything asked of him. It's obvious from the Betfair Hurdle at least that Zarkander is the type of horse who keeps finding and finding but I don't think Ruby feels it has the class to be a CH contender.
jimjamcos is offline  
06-03-2012, 19:57   #283
jimjamcos
Registered User
 
jimjamcos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
Good support for Rock On Ruby today in the champion market

While I think HF will win of the so called "good things" he surely faces the stiffest opposition
Who of the "good things" do you think will get beat? I have, like many I assume, done all (SS, HF, Q, BB) but one will invariably let me down...just keep changing my mind each day as to which one it'll be!
jimjamcos is offline  
06-03-2012, 20:01   #284
Colonel Sanders
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,624
I'm not in a hurry to oppose any of the "shorties" but will be availing of the PP offer innate Arkle. Probably via an each way bet on Cue Card
Colonel Sanders is offline  
06-03-2012, 21:58   #285
mdwexford
Registered User
 
mdwexford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Waiting For Cheltenham 2015
Posts: 7,786
Foolish to write off an unbeaten horse.

Nobody knows how much Zarkandar has left in the locker, not even Ruby.

I do think he'll need to travel much sweeter than he did at Newbury but after the cough and being out for so long who knows how straight he was that day.
mdwexford is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet