Pc Gaming - Page 3 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-02-2012, 20:45   #31
ShadowHearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillah View Post
I use both Windows and OS X for different things on different machines. I take no part in the factional warfare people seem insistent on waging over them, and trying to dismiss me as a fanboy is both ad hominem and a strawman.

Earlier you said "The can, but that's about it. If you will do that separate partition with windows, you might play few older games on lowish settings" - implying that even on a Windows boot a Mac was somehow inherently inferior for gaming, which just isn't true. You've either got the hardware or you don't, Windows doesn't care who assembled it.
thread is yours, have fun.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 20:47   #32
Krusader

Quote:
I use both Windows and OS X for different things on different machines. I take no part in the factional warfare people seem insistent on waging over them, and trying to dismiss me as a fanboy is both ad hominem and a strawman.

Earlier you said "The can, but that's about it. If you will do that separate partition with windows, you might play few older games on lowish settings" - implying that even on a Windows boot a Mac was somehow inherently inferior for gaming, which just isn't true. You've either got the hardware or you don't, Windows doesn't care who assembled it.
He ment the gpu in this MAC is not really designed for high end gaming, I thought it was obvious what he ment
(4) thanks from:
14-02-2012, 20:52   #33
Magill

Macs are ****e.
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 20:53   #34
Zillah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosáidí View Post
He ment the gpu in this MAC is not really designed for high end gaming, I thought it was obvious what he ment
He posted that before he even knew which model we were talking about so that obviously doesn't make sense. He also said "macs", plural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHearth View Post
thread is yours, have fun.
You said that already. Post again if you want the last word.
14-02-2012, 20:57   #35
ShadowHearth

Macs are ****e
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 22:00   #36
Krusader

Quote:
He posted that before he even knew which model we were talking about so that obviously doesn't make sense. He also said "macs", plural.
Yeah but i've never seen a custom build MAC, they 99% of the time dont have high-end GPUs

Whereas you can build a top PC rig for €650-750 easily
14-02-2012, 23:06   #37
Zillah

Any of the new generation of iMacs can run modern games perfectly well at medium/high settings. Like I said, I have one of the lower end iMacs and I played Skyrim no problem. I'm not saying they're cost effective, but saying that old games on low settings are your only choice with a mac is clearly not true.
14-02-2012, 23:29   #38
gizmo

Using the Model Identifier and Serial Number it seems to be this machine. So an Intel E8235, 2GB RAM and a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 card. Performance, unfortunately, won't be particularly good with new games cloud493.

That doesn't mean there aren't loads of other games to choose from however. If I were you I'd browse through Steam and keep an eye out for highly rated games which happen to be a bit older or don't look overly demanding visually, there's plenty of great deals to be had on some fantastic games. As for Starcraft, well the first one should run fine, the sequel not so much. You can get a demo of it via Battle.net though and give it a try.
15-02-2012, 00:04   #39
aN.Droid
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosáidí View Post
Yeah but i've never seen a custom build MAC, they 99% of the time dont have high-end GPUs

Whereas you can build a top PC rig for €650-750 easily
You can build mac's they are called hackintosh's, also 650-750 isn't really a top end pc, I would say it is a mid range one, top end would be around 1000-1500 and enthusiast would be 1500 - infinity.
Advertisement
15-02-2012, 00:31   #40
Tony EH

Bottom line Cloud, if you want to play PC games, then get yourself a decent PC.
15-02-2012, 00:31   #41
Krusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limericks View Post
You can build mac's they are called hackintosh's, also 650-750 isn't really a top end pc, I would say it is a mid range one, top end would be around 1000-1500 and enthusiast would be 1500 - infinity.
thats with monitors and all though and probably the the new Radeon 7xxx series GPU
15-02-2012, 08:03   #42
ShadowHearth

Quote:
Sooooooooooooo lol at this.

Come to "building pc" forum on boards.ie, then post something taken out of the arse.

If we build pc for 1k eu then it is high end monster gamer ultra "you have too much money son" machine. Anything above 1k eu - you are mad bro.

600-800eu gets you a high end pc, which will play any game on 1080p.

As mentioned before, OPs machine is very old. No matter what brand it is.. Is it apple, pear, orange or rat box. Hardware is old, but you might try get some older games indeed.

If op really wants to start pc gaming, then he can build a new pc ( not mac ) , which is not that stupidly expencive these days.
(3) thanks from:
15-02-2012, 14:04   #43
Wossack

surprised by your 'lol' at Limericks, not too sure whats so wrong about it.. note he says 'top end pc', not 'top end gaming' machine

I know a lad with an 8000e pc, for example
15-02-2012, 15:17   #44
ScumLord

Quote:
Once you go above a grand your into the realm of uber PCs with 8gb plus of ram. Although that's just for the box and not including peripherals.
15-02-2012, 15:24   #45
ShadowHearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumLord View Post
Once you go above a grand your into the realm of uber PCs with 8gb plus of ram. Although that's just for the box and not including peripherals.
Ram is cheap as chips these days, so it's not an indicator of uber pc m8. 8gb ram is like 36eu. We put 8gb ram even in to med spec pcs. Pc gaming got to the point where gpu is doing most of the work. CPU is playing secondary role now and max you need ram for gaming pc - 4gb, but as mentioned before, ram is so cheap, it is a sin not to take 8gb, unless you going for budget gaming pc for 400eu.

Keyboard and mouse can be gotten for 20eu, most monitors have speakers built in or even if you use tv you get sound by hdmi cable too.

Last edited by ShadowHearth; 15-02-2012 at 15:31.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion