Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-02-2012, 12:57   #61
--Kaiser--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Fallacy View Post
After training is absolutely the BEST time to eat whatever sugary crap you might want to be honest. Your metabolism is all amped up and your muslces are glycogen depleted so the sugar will actually be put to good use.
Not if you're trying to lose weight. It takes an awful lot of exercise to fully deplete your glycogen stores
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 13:04   #62
Peetrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Kaiser-- View Post
Not if you're trying to lose weight. It takes an awful lot of exercise to fully deplete your glycogen stores
No, Logical Fallacy is dead right. You have about a 30min window after moderate/intense physical exercise in which your body will be looking to replace used glycogen.
What you eat is much more likely to be changed to glycogen instead of to fat stores.
14-02-2012, 13:08   #63
--Kaiser--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetrik View Post
No, Logical Fallacy is dead right. You have about a 30min window after moderate/intense physical exercise in which your body will be looking to replace used glycogen.
What you eat is much more likely to be changed to glycogen instead of to fat stores.
That's not my point (and xzanti's). If you are trying to lose weight, drinking an energy drink afterwards is just pointless. Sure, it would be helpful if you are doing some endurance event, but more than likely an endurance athlete won't need to lose weight
14-02-2012, 13:10   #64
_feedback_

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniemcq View Post
I have one of the worst diets in here,

I have a fry every morning at work, 2 sausages, 2 bacon, egg, beans white bread.

I've tried making it healthier by using scrambled eggs instead of fried now though.

I have 2-3 bags of crisps a days, about half dozen bars of chocolate,

no fruit, no veg (bar beans, peas and the very VERY rare carrot when i'm home and there is stew)

have way to much salt and butter on my spuds.

eat very little fish, never drink water and go on day long sessions on a fairly regular basis.

altogether i eat around 4000-5000 calories a day (fry, dinner at work, tea, dinner at home, snacks and supper along with all the junk)

The only exercise i get is a game of 5 a side (once in last 4 or 5 months) or a walk home after work.

I'm 6ft 2, 66kg and have excellent cholesterol.

Go metabolisim!
For some reason, I always thought you were a girl.

So I was reading through the post thinking RESPECT !

Then I got to the end, realised you were a guy, and thought, fat bastard
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 13:11   #65
Gummy Panda
I'm too busy relaxing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Fallacy View Post
After training is absolutely the BEST time to eat whatever sugary crap you might want to be honest. Your metabolism is all amped up and your muslces are glycogen depleted so the sugar will actually be put to good use.
It depends on diet and intensity/type of training.

Even during a cut, a lot of bodybuilders will add dextrose to a shake to help recovery

Also the insulin spike can be used as delivery mechanism
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 13:21   #66
booboo88
Banned

Im a very finicky eater, I usually only like chicken turkey or ham, which it can be hard to come up with different ideas on what to eat, but while im working its usually take away as I leave at 7.30 but might not get home til 10oclock. but my down fall is sugary drinks, but Im trying to cut down.
14-02-2012, 13:29   #67
Peetrik

Quote:
That's not my point (and xzanti's). If you are trying to lose weight, drinking an energy drink afterwards is just pointless. Sure, it would be helpful if you are doing some endurance event, but more than likely an endurance athlete won't need to lose weight
Ah ok it's just crossed wires, I agree with you 100% on the energy drinks, they are sugary garbage and detrimental to weight loss. I suspect a large portion of people, especially those new to dieting, would feel the need to 'cheat' however. I was agreeing with Logical that (if you have to) after exercise is the best time to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummy Panda View Post

Even during a cut, a lot of bodybuilders will add dextrose to a shake to help recovery
Bodybuilders would be up there with sumo wrestlers for some of the least healthful practices in sports. Wouldn't be looking too closely at them for advice
14-02-2012, 13:45   #68
Logical Fallacy

Quote:
I had all my clients eating a nice sugary something post workout and it never affected their weightloss in a negative way. I'd rather have them recovering correctly from a workout and feeling better for it, than coming in the next day all sore and tired.

It's also a bit help psychologically, people don't feel like they need to starve themselves. If anything it was a useful tool to drive them harder in the gym.

The implication that one energy drink will do enough to limit the effectiveness of a 24 hour period of excercise, rest and correct diet is just wrong tbh.

If you eat right all day and work hard in the gym there is nothing wrong with a little something sugary post workout. If an energy drink can slow your weightloss in a major way then you are not working hard enough to begin with and have more important things to worry about.
Thanks from:
14-02-2012, 13:49   #69
Greentopia

Diet is pretty good I think.

Big breakfast:
Porridge with honey, cinnamon and soft fruits like raspberries or a chopped banana on top. Toast, sometimes a boiled egg. Apple or orange juice.

Lunch:
Homemade soup and bread or salad wrap or sandwich with hummus, turkey and brie, chicken.

Dinner:
Stir fry, Italian, Thai or Indian meals-from scratch usually, using store bought sauce if I don't have the time. Vegetarian a few days a week, chicken, fish based meals the rest of the time. Red meat once a forthnight or so-not keen on it. A roast (chicken) on Sunday usually.

Snacks-Fruit. Chocolate nearly every day but I love it whatever nuts or seed I have in the cupboard.

I drink water-tap, tea by the bucket load and fruit juices. Don't drink much alcohol. Never drink soft drinks-phosphoric acid that makes them fizz leaches calcium from the bones and my Mum had osteoporosis so I have to avoid them.

I eat too much bread slathered with butter, too much chocolate and I'd eat cake til I burst if I could so I restrict it. Crisps or junk food rarely-chips and burgers just sit in my stomach like lead for days if I eat them.

I walk or cycle everwhere. I go running a few days a week. No weight problems thankfully.
Advertisement
14-02-2012, 13:57   #70
Novella

Send a message via Skype™ to Novella
I've been eating pretty badly lately. A lot of chocolate. I also drink a lot of energy drinks like Lucozade which I know is terrible.
14-02-2012, 14:19   #71
Gummy Panda
I'm too busy relaxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetrik View Post

Quote:

Bodybuilders would be up there with sumo wrestlers for some of the least healthful practices in sports. Wouldn't be looking too closely at them for advice
In what way? The extreme dieting in contest prep or AAS use?
14-02-2012, 23:36   #72
treborflynn

I EAT PUPPIES AND KITTENS AND BABIES
14-02-2012, 23:57   #73
Aenaes

I use bacon as a condiment.
15-02-2012, 00:02   #74
Peetrik

Quote:
In what way? The extreme dieting in contest prep or AAS use?
While I'm sure the dieting isn't 'good' for them, it's not something I would be overly concerned about, it's the supplements that would concern me. The sport is rampant with supplements that are aimed at short term gain but with little or no consideration on the long term effects that they have on the human body and thats without even getting into the steroids.
15-02-2012, 00:04   #75
Holsten

Used to be pretty good, weighting out food, keeping track of calories, eating very healthy, etc...

That's gone to **** lately though, hopefully get back eating well soon! Feel a million times better plus it usually works out cheaper!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion