Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-02-2012, 21:50   #1
yellow50HX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 1st left after the 466th pothole
Posts: 1,387
case 4240, what are they like?

Hi,

a friend of mine was asking me if i knew anything about case 4240's, which i dont. he was looking at a 4220 with a loader and said it was nice a tidy and would be ideal around the yard and shed, but didnt have the power. the 4240 is supposed to be about 100hp. have seen a few around but dont know anyone with one. the low profile cab looks good for stockmen and they dont seem to be as expensive as a massy of ford.

so was wondering if anyone out there has had/has one and what would they be like?
yellow50HX is offline  
Advertisement
13-02-2012, 21:59   #2
stanflt
Registered User
 
stanflt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow50HX View Post
Hi,

a friend of mine was asking me if i knew anything about case 4240's, which i dont. he was looking at a 4220 with a loader and said it was nice a tidy and would be ideal around the yard and shed, but didnt have the power. the 4240 is supposed to be about 100hp. have seen a few around but dont know anyone with one. the low profile cab looks good for stockmen and they dont seem to be as expensive as a massy of ford.

so was wondering if anyone out there has had/has one and what would they be like?

had a 4230xl for about 1 year-worst year of my life. only bought it cause the old 1212davey brown blew up 2days before xmas and it was the only tractor with loader available- s**t hydrolics-gears-arms-pick up hitch-
a realy poor tractor
stanflt is offline  
13-02-2012, 22:14   #3
Farmer Pudsey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: East above, West above Bills on the Nob
Posts: 4,730
Same tractor as a Case 4230 which is about 80ish Horsepower. They added a turbo to give it the extra HP. Very hard to ge a clean 4240 as anybody that had them seemed to have worked them hard also hydrulics etc were not strong enough for 100hp tractor. No shuttle except on later models however I agree nice tidy tractor syncro mesh on gears used to give problems. Also digital dash often had to be replaced so you could get one that said 4000 hours but had 8000 on it.

If you get a nice clean one at right money I chance it but get it well checked out. But you would not want to treat it like a 100hp tractor

Also they have to be serviced regular engine and hydrulics oil,filters etc if you donot you will have problems not like Masseys or Fords that will gou on for years without serviceing

Last edited by Farmer Pudsey; 13-02-2012 at 22:18. Reason: addition
Farmer Pudsey is offline  
13-02-2012, 22:24   #4
yellow50HX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 1st left after the 466th pothole
Posts: 1,387
doesnt sound ideal for heavy work then. probaly only be ok for general work then?

would be used for feeding cattle silage bales, cleaning out sheds (hence the lp cab) and pulling a 1600 gallon slurry tank. he also does a small bit of tillage so would need to be able to drive a rotavtor and pull a plough, and the usual bits and bobs (topping, spreading etc. he has an big 4wd which is ok but getting old and is too big for what he does now (used to do more tillage), and the yard tractor is too small for lifting the bales and other loader work.
yellow50HX is offline  
29-10-2013, 19:31   #5
colinJX90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
case 4240

well lads, i have a 1100 gallon tanker on a case jx90 ( 90hp ) and its struggling to pull it when filled, 1600 gallon behind 100hp would not be advisable
colinJX90 is offline  
Advertisement
29-10-2013, 19:49   #6
jersey101
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow50HX View Post
Hi,

a friend of mine was asking me if i knew anything about case 4240's, which i dont. he was looking at a 4220 with a loader and said it was nice a tidy and would be ideal around the yard and shed, but didnt have the power. the 4240 is supposed to be about 100hp. have seen a few around but dont know anyone with one. the low profile cab looks good for stockmen and they dont seem to be as expensive as a massy of ford.

so was wondering if anyone out there has had/has one and what would they be like?
have one here for the last 14 years and cant say one bad word about it. Has 18,000 hrs on it. Granted it got fully reconditioned 4 yrs ago, redid the injector pump this year on her, that was due to dirty diesel, has a loader on her and stacks all the bales here. Around 800 straw and 700 silage. Used to stake alot more silage than that a few years ago when we did silage for other lads. Father ran a chopoer baler off her and a 10ft mower and said she was a right yoke on them. ATM here she feeds, beds all stock, loads all muck, scrapes all the **** around parlour, draws 700-800 bales straw and stakes tham, draws 700 bales of silage and stacks them. Also wraps all the silage. We still have the original back tires on here, there near wore out now, and we've gone through 4 pairs of front tyres. She's near fooked now but she has well paid us back. Theres alot of bad stories around about them and i honestly dont know why
jersey101 is offline  
29-10-2013, 19:53   #7
maidhc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 6,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinJX90 View Post
well lads, i have a 1100 gallon tanker on a case jx90 ( 90hp ) and its struggling to pull it when filled, 1600 gallon behind 100hp would not be advisable
I have a 1600 gal behind a TS115 and it walks with it; by which I mean you know you are pulling it, but with no great drama. Actually had it behind a Zetor 6340 (7245) prior to that, it it was grand too.
maidhc is offline  
29-10-2013, 23:00   #8
Sharpshooter82
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey101 View Post
have one here for the last 14 years and cant say one bad word about it. Has 18,000 hrs on it. Granted it got fully reconditioned 4 yrs ago, redid the injector pump this year on her, that was due to dirty diesel, has a loader on her and stacks all the bales here. Around 800 straw and 700 silage. Used to stake alot more silage than that a few years ago when we did silage for other lads. Father ran a chopoer baler off her and a 10ft mower and said she was a right yoke on them. ATM here she feeds, beds all stock, loads all muck, scrapes all the **** around parlour, draws 700-800 bales straw and stakes tham, draws 700 bales of silage and stacks them. Also wraps all the silage. We still have the original back tires on here, there near wore out now, and we've gone through 4 pairs of front tyres. She's near fooked now but she has well paid us back. Theres alot of bad stories around about them and i honestly dont know why
Bad stories from fellas that don't look after the machines I'd say
Sharpshooter82 is offline  
29-10-2013, 23:08   #9
Farmer Pudsey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: East above, West above Bills on the Nob
Posts: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter82 View Post
Bad stories from fellas that don't look after the machines I'd say
It is not just that if you smell an issue with these cases you have to fix. It is not just a matter of I finish feeding the cattle and call mechanic in the morning.
Farmer Pudsey is offline  
Advertisement
29-10-2013, 23:10   #10
Sharpshooter82
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Pudsey View Post
It is not just that if you smell an issue with these cases you have to fix. It is not just a matter of I finish feeding the cattle and call mechanic in the morning.
Not able for hardship farmer?
Sharpshooter82 is offline  
29-10-2013, 23:20   #11
Farmer Pudsey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: East above, West above Bills on the Nob
Posts: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter82 View Post
Not able for hardship farmer?
No not afraid of hardship and TBH if one of these tractors in good condition was coming at the right price I would buy it. However you have to be aware of the pit falls. They need to be serviced and if an issue arises fix it. If you are good with tractors it is an advantage however if not you need to be aware of pit falls.
Farmer Pudsey is offline  
29-10-2013, 23:21   #12
Sharpshooter82
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Pudsey View Post
No not afraid of hardship and TBH if one of these tractors in good condition was coming at the right price I would buy it. However you have to be aware of the pit falls. They need to be serviced and if an issue arises fix it. If you are good with tractors it is an advantage however if not you need to be aware of pit falls.
Or have an eye and know when something isn't right
Sharpshooter82 is offline  
29-10-2013, 23:22   #13
131spanner
Registered User
 
131spanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Top of the Hill
Posts: 1,205
We had a 2wd 4210 a while back. Himself had great value on it, a lovely tractor for yard work with a loader. It had the low cab (not the XL one), so it was ideal for sheds. The only problems I can remember is the amount of tyres we cut, no fault to the Case of course
131spanner is offline  
03-11-2013, 01:35   #14
Mushy06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
We've a Case 4230xl pro cab (no loader) with about 8 years now, and the only thing we've done to it was the hydralic pump which was about 400 yoyos. We farming about 50 cattle. 1100 gallon tanker which it pulls grand apart from very very steep hill nearby but it still chuggs away (Not too sure about 1600 tanker if hilly land). It does everything we ask really. But you do need to keep an eye on Hydralic oil.
Mushy06 is offline  
03-11-2013, 17:08   #15
lakill Farm
Registered User
 
lakill Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Westmeath - Nationwide
Posts: 1,862
a 90hp tractor should run away with a 1100G tank. Its only about 5.5t of slurry and the tank.

My 100hp ran away with 1350G and now looking for 1600G for myself. I know a lad who has a 2050 major behind a MF390. Slowing it down is his issue
lakill Farm is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet