Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Possible to build good Gaming PC for €550-ish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yes, that's a fairly big difference. A big difference in cost too - the 6970 is usually about double the price. Here's a comparison:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=292

There's new cards coming tomorrow, the 7750 and the 7770. There's also the 7850 & 7870 coming in early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LittleMc95

No between the 6870 and the 6790 not the 6970.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The 6870 is about 40% more powerful, and better value too.

Oh, right. I must be half blind. Or lex-dis-ic.

I don't think that the 6790 is really worth getting. The 6850 is a fair chunk better and if I recall correctly, the power consumption on the 6790 was high for its performance.

Certainly don't buy it tonight anyway. Have a look at how the 7750 & 7770 perform when they're reviewed/released tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LittleMc95

have you any idea how much they will be?

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    The estimate in price for the 7750 & 7770 is $99-$159. You can't convert that directly to euro as hardware is a bit more expensive here. That's about the range of the 6750, 6770 and 6850 at the moment on US site newegg, the range of these in euro shops are €80-€140 or so. You could probably add a bit more for it being a new product and the shop getting a cut but I think that €90-150 is a credible range for these cards at a competitive online seller.

I'm not affiliated with any seller or review site; pricing and performance are kept fairly quiet so I can only guess at best.
    You'll find out tomorrow, if you can bear the excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SpankThru

Hey , i have another stupid question :) Do i really need a soundcard? Thanks

All, or nearly all motherboards these days come with onboard sound which is good enough for most people.
    They come with wired network cards built in too.

All, or nearly all motherboards these days come with onboard sound which is good enough for most people.
    They come with wired network cards built in too.

So ill have to buy a wireless adapter ? (the family computer has the wired connection)

Edit; I was watching a video on YouTube and this guy had like 5 fans in his build ,Is this unnecessary ?

Yes, desktop PCs & motherboards rarely come with wireless. If possible, you should try to get a wired connection.

If you can't be running wires around the place, you could consider homeplugs.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/
    A bit more expensive than wireless, but you will usually get a better quality connection. They've been known to cause some radio interference so that might affect where you'd use them.

• Advertisement

What are they for? I've never seen them in my life :s

You plug one into the wall electricity socket and connect it to your router.

Then plug another one in near where you have your PC and bingo - you get internet to your PC through your electricity cable!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug
    No, this isn't a hoax, it's not April yet.

Thanks,
    Any info on the new Graphis Cards yet?, cant find much online about them :)

They're a bit crap. The 7750 is an OK budget card but the 7770 is overpriced.
    The 7770 is slightly less powerful than the 6850 but priced in the 6870 range.

If you're buying somewhere like hardwareversand, you'd be much better off with a 6870.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46795

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If you're buying somewhere like hardwareversand, you'd be much better off with a 6870.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46795

Seeing this post makes me happy :)

Those plugged network adapters look really sweet. A bit too expensive for me right now though. But really cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

SpankThru wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Any info on the new Graphis Cards yet?, cant find much online about them :)

You can read about them here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/amd-radeon-hd-7750-radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition-review

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Seeing this post makes me happy :)

Those plugged network adapters look really sweet. A bit too expensive for me right now though. But really cool.

Is there much point getting them if my pc will be a few meters away from the router?

If it's just a few metres away from the router, just use an ordinary network cable!

Here's a selection of some 7m Cat 6 cables. Take a pick of a colour that you fancy.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=45368
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=45366
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=45367

If it's just a few metres away from the router, just use an ordinary network cable!

Here's a selection of some 7m Cat 6 cables. Take a pick of a colour that you fancy.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=45368
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=45366
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=45367

I wouldnt be able to use wired , its in an awkward position :)

Do i need to get extra fans btw?

Oh, well in that case, the homeplugs should be suitable.

Is this for the build in post #2? Bitfenix merc? I think there's one fan in there. An i3 wouldn't have much heat so it depends on what graphics card you buy. Two should be enough for most situations in a lighter build like that.

• Advertisement

Oh, well in that case, the homeplugs should be suitable.

Is this for the build in post #2? Bitfenix merc? I think there's one fan in there. An i3 wouldn't have much heat so it depends on what graphics card you buy. Two should be enough for most situations in a lighter build like that.

Yeah,
    Im probably going to get 6870 1 GB

Random Stupid Question #3 : How long will it be until this build wont be able to play new games? Also, how do you counteract this progression? (how do you stay up to date without spending €300 a month)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah,
    Im probably going to get 6870 1 GB

Random Stupid Question #3 : How long will it be until this build wont be able to play new games? Also, how do you counteract this progression? (how do you stay up to date without spending €300 a month)
    Thanks

Play new games? About two years. Play new games well? About a year, probably less.

You can overclock to get a bit more performance (~20% at most), but the short answer is: you don't. Unfortunately you'd have to spend €400-ish at least every year to stay up to date properly. That's extremely rough though. It depends how how picky you are with game settings, etc. and how good you are at not scratching. :P

It will probably be able to play games for many years to come, you'll just have to start turning the details down.
    New games don't progress as fast as they used to as most developers have to keep an eye on the console world. They'll want they games to run on consoles to give them more people to sell to. A new PC like that would be several times the power of the console and with the rumoured specifications of the new xbox, a 6870 would still be more powerful than that. Consoles have the advantage of having games being very tightly coded for them to take advantage of the hardware to the maximum whereas a PC has a lot more to juggle with like a full operating system.

The best way to stay to save you from having a completely obsolete computer in the near future is to be careful in selecting your components for future upgrades. The worst option is to get something like a Dell which may not support any upgrades as you might need particular motherboard type and the PSU mightn't be able to take on a graphics card. When you build yourself, all the components are standardised.

-A case like the Bitfenix Merc (I'd go with the Beta instead though if it was me), has room for extra hard drives or fans for the future. Motherboard fittings are standard if you wanted to replace that too.
    -The H61 motherboard should be able to support all 1155 CPUs of this generation and the new Ivy Bridges allowing you to upgrade to a quad core or whatever. If you really wanted to keep your options open, you could get a Z68 motherboard which would allow you to overclock any "K" series CPU. However, it would double the cost of the motherboard. More expensive motherboards allow for multiple graphics cards.
    -500GB hard drive should last you a while and it's a good model, but you can add in more hard drives later.
    -8GB is a lot of RAM for now. Most people won't even use 4GB. That's a lower end motherboard so it only has 2 slots but many have 4.
    -The 6870 is a good GPU and the most important thing for games. That and the CPU would be the first thing that you'd be looking at if you needed upgrading later on. The 450W PSU would be enough to support that or equivalent cards.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Play new games? About two years. Play new games well? About a year, probably less.

You can overclock to get a bit more performance (~20% at most), but the short answer is: you don't. Unfortunately you'd have to spend €400-ish at least every year to stay up to date properly.

Ohhh :( How about just playing new games but having them look as good as new games look/play now? Like in 5 years will today's "ultra/very high" be "medium/low" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

To be honest I don't think you have anything to worry about with Gpus like 6870, if you support CF then even better as there should be few of them on adverts.

Pc graphics are pushed back by consoles these days. Developers won't be bothered to make 2 separate games for console and pc. They just make console version and then port it to pc, so that's why pc games became less demanding. Ofc we got awesome exclusives, but of they will scale very well with hardware.
    If rumors are true about Xbox360 + 90, then pc gamers can't relax with 6870++ Gpus. Keep in mind: upgrade bug will bite you way sooner then outdated hardware bug.

Serephucus wrote: »

You can overclock to get a bit more performance (~20% at most), but the short answer is: you don't. Unfortunately you'd have to spend €400-ish at least every year to stay up to date properly. That's extremely rough though. It depends how how picky you are with game settings, etc. and how good you are at not scratching. :P

Bejesus dude! Stop scaring the loving **** out of younglings! :)))

Ok....Give us pc newbs the skinny! Taking the upgrade bug out of the equation, how long will these €500-700 PCs last us? Like in 7 years, without upgrading, can i still play the 2019 games in the same quality/res as today's games? Or will computer benchmarks be too high?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Ok....Give us pc newbs the skinny! Taking the upgrade bug out of the equation, how long will these €500-700 PCs last us? Like in 7 years, without upgrading, can i still play the 2019 games in the same quality/res as today's games? Or will computer benchmarks be too high?

No one can say that far in future. So far you will be grand with current and next gen, which means 2-3 years minimum of quality gaming. After that, who knows. If new xblender is really so crap hardware wise, then it might last way longer then we think. The only thing that you will be changing: Gpus. So if you will need to spend around 200eu every 2-3 years, then I am really don't see problem in that.

I managed 5 years on my old pc and then upgraded for 170eu and pc is like new again. Now situation is even better as these CPU and ram are not even fully maxed out by gaming. I am afraid to say it, but I would expect this gen pcs to last really long. Unless they will find some new way of making games.

Thanks for all the help guuuuuuuuuys
    BUT
    Im confuzled about 2 things,: Do i need a sdd?
    Do i need a cpu cooler?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Thanks for all the help guuuuuuuuuys
    BUT
    Im confuzled about 2 things,: Do i need a sdd?
    Do i need a cpu cooler?

Thanks

Do you need an SSD? No. You can boot your OS of a normal Hard Drive but load times will be significantly slower. I'm talking around 10-15seconds for a full boot with a SSD, and around the minute mark with a normal 7200RPM HDD.

Do you need a CPU Cooler? Yes. But if you are buying it new it will come with a stock cooler which is quite loud but will be perfectly fine as long as you don't do any major overclocking. For example, the stock cooler with the i5 2500k could handle an overclock to 4Ghz but much more than that might damage it.
    A third party CPU cooler is not that expensive. Around 20euro for a decent enough one. Its probably worth it.

Advertisement