Postgrad in Edinburgh - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2012, 16:25   #1
cc87

Postgrad in Edinburgh

Just have 2 quick questions.....

Any advice on writing a personal statement when applying to a taught masters?? Im trying to avoid it reading like a biography of sorts. How much should I include on the academic side and how much personal stuff should be in it?

Also from what i can see, theres no way to get a grant for a postgrad course in scotland??? or am i hopefully wrong?
Advertisement
15-02-2012, 13:58   #2
HavingCrack
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc87 View Post

Also from what i can see, theres no way to get a grant for a postgrad course in scotland??? or am i hopefully wrong?
There's funding available for PhD's and some research Masters. However if it's a taught Master's there is no general Scottish funding available. There may be course, department or university specific funding (everywhere is different) but it's quite competitive and fairly rare.
06-03-2012, 18:39   #3
Helpyouspeak

Hey there,

In terms of writing a statement I guess it depends on what course you are applying for but what I did was include a lot of background on the modules I've studied that would be of assistance in the Masters. I only included a little bit on the personal side although I had to include a lot about volunteering. What is important is to show that you have been working towards this Masters, that you haven't jsut decided to do it on a whim so if you have anything that can show that, then it would look good I think.

About the funding, I am actually trying to find this out too but from what I have seen to date, there is funding if you are doing a health science course.

Good luck with it all.
13-03-2012, 00:15   #4
lilmizzme

Hey guys,

Im starting the PGDE in Edinburgh in September. I'm also finding it hard to find info on funding and support. I know the Scottish government won't pay maintenence, but can us Irish students apply for a student loan like most students do over there?
13-03-2012, 10:05   #5
HavingCrack
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmizzme View Post
Hey guys,

Im starting the PGDE in Edinburgh in September. I'm also finding it hard to find info on funding and support. I know the Scottish government won't pay maintenence, but can us Irish students apply for a student loan like most students do over there?
A postgraduate is not eligible for the government backed student loan system which is specifically for undergraduates. So the short answer is no.

You could apply for a career development loan from a bank (I think HSBC are pretty good for this) but these have become harder and harder to get.
Advertisement
14-03-2012, 00:00   #6
lilmizzme

Thanks for the response. The PGCE is adminsitered int he same way undergrad degress are, its an exception to the postgrad rule, afaik. So while I was hoping loans would still be available, having done a bit more research, it seems tuition fees are paid, but I can't apply for a loan unless I've lived in England three years. Seems I'll be knocking on banks doors this summer.
29-04-2012, 13:58   #7
Sinead.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmizzme View Post
Thanks for the response. The PGCE is adminsitered int he same way undergrad degress are, its an exception to the postgrad rule, afaik. So while I was hoping loans would still be available, having done a bit more research, it seems tuition fees are paid, but I can't apply for a loan unless I've lived in England three years. Seems I'll be knocking on banks doors this summer.
I was just wondering where did u find out that tutition fees are paid for?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion