Train Times Ireland - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2012, 12:56   #1
Sauce

Train Times Ireland

Hey guys,

I have just created my first android which is called Train Times Ireland. I am a software developer by trade and I wanted to something constructive with my commute on the train to work every day except sleeping so I decided I would learn how to develop android apps.

I was really liked Stephen McBrides Next Train Ireland app and with a lack of ideas for a project I decided I would try make my own version.

The app itself provides real-time train information for trains and station throughout the country. It highlights if a train is running late or early and provides a detailed journey plan for each train, showing what stations the train has called to and is due to call to. I have also included an Irish Rail twitter feed in the app.

Please check it out and tell me what you think or what I could improve on. Go easy on me though, remember this is my first app

https://market.android.com/details?i...intimesireland

Thanks,
Adrien

Last edited by Sauce; 10-02-2012 at 13:03.
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 13:01   #2
Atomic Pineapple

Link?
10-02-2012, 13:04   #3
Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by draffodx View Post
Link?
Sorry I have updated my post to include the link now
Thanks from:
10-02-2012, 13:21   #4
Atomic Pineapple

It crashed on me when I first tried to check out Dun Loaghaire station, while it was fetching the data I changed orientation and I was left with a blank screen, when I switched it back the app crashed, report sent.

The logo is really nice and the overall app seems pretty good, the issues I would have with it are:

The ad that appears at the top after a few seconds that pushes everything down is very annoying.
The list items are a little bit too small when selecting a station
The latest information is nearly always blank for me, maybe if there is no latest information don't display this field?
Thanks from:
10-02-2012, 13:27   #5
Sauce

Quote:
It crashed on me when I first tried to check out Dun Loaghaire station, while it was fetching the data I changed orientation and I was left with a blank screen, when I switched it back the app crashed, report sent.

The logo is really nice and the overall app seems pretty good, the issues I would have with it are:

The ad that appears at the top after a few seconds that pushes everything down is very annoying.
The list items are a little bit too small when selecting a station
The latest information is nearly always blank for me, maybe if there is no latest information don't display this field?
Thanks. I will look into these issues. Its always helpful to have constructive feedback.
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 13:33   #6
Atomic Pineapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Thanks. I will look into these issues. Its always helpful to have constructive feedback.
No problem, the issue with the ad is that everything seems to be pushed down by it which doesn't look good in my opinion not the actual ad itself
Thanks from:
10-02-2012, 13:54   #7
debarra156

Train Times Ireland

First impressions are good. I have used Next Train Ireland for some time and like it a lot. However, in recent weeks it has crashed repeatedly so will give this one a go. Looks good - I agree that the station list is in small font but using favourites will overcome this. Ads dont bother me - I dont read them.
Thanks from:
10-02-2012, 14:06   #8
smackyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Hey guys,

I have just created my first android which is called Train Times Ireland. I am a software developer by trade and I wanted to something constructive with my commute on the train to work every day except sleeping so I decided I would learn how to develop android apps.

I was really liked Stephen McBrides Next Train Ireland app and with a lack of ideas for a project I decided I would try make my own version.

The app itself provides real-time train information for trains and station throughout the country. It highlights if a train is running late or early and provides a detailed journey plan for each train, showing what stations the train has called to and is due to call to. I have also included an Irish Rail twitter feed in the app.

Please check it out and tell me what you think or what I could improve on. Go easy on me though, remember this is my first app

https://market.android.com/details?i...intimesireland

Thanks,
Adrien
Hi Adrien, congrats on the app - looks good and it's always healthy to have some competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by debarra156 View Post
First impressions are good. I have used Next Train Ireland for some time and like it a lot. However, in recent weeks it has crashed repeatedly so will give this one a go. Looks good - I agree that the station list is in small font but using favourites will overcome this. Ads dont bother me - I dont read them.
I'm working on a big refresh of the Next Train Ireland app at the moment which should fix the issues seen in recent weeks.
Thanks from:
10-02-2012, 14:15   #9
Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackyB View Post
Hi Adrien, congrats on the app - looks good and it's always healthy to have some competition

I'm working on a big refresh of the Next Train Ireland app at the moment which should fix the issues seen in recent weeks.
Thanks Stephen. You have set the bar very high for real time apps. Next Train Ireland and Next Bus Dublin are 2 great apps that I have used almost on a daily basis.

Been a .NET developer it was a bit of a step over to developing in Android but i have really enjoyed it so far.

Best of luck with the refresh. Im sure it will be excellent
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 15:39   #10
Professey Chin
Riddly Diddly

This oughta be fun

Best of luck to you both
(2) thanks from:
10-02-2012, 16:53   #11
Atomic Pineapple

Another thing I noticed is it just displays a blank screen when there's no train info available for a station, so for example on Attymon I just get a blank screen, is there actually no train info for it or is this a bug? If theres no info then you should put a string in saying theres no data or something
Thanks from:
10-02-2012, 23:24   #12
Sauce

Quote:
Another thing I noticed is it just displays a blank screen when there's no train info available for a station, so for example on Attymon I just get a blank screen, is there actually no train info for it or is this a bug? If theres no info then you should put a string in saying theres no data or something
There is actually no train in this instance. I will release an update over the weekend with this fixed along with the other bugs and suggestions given
11-02-2012, 20:23   #13
wotzgoingon

Just downloaded it there. Pretty good but it's late enough, so only one train is mentioned. I will try it out in the morning and see how many trains are listed. Or maybe it just tells you when the next train is. Didn't come across any ad's as a previous poster mentioned, and I didn't find the list small either. Fair play OP and keep up the good work.
Thanks from:
12-02-2012, 12:36   #14
Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotzgoingon View Post
Just downloaded it there. Pretty good but it's late enough, so only one train is mentioned. I will try it out in the morning and see how many trains are listed. Or maybe it just tells you when the next train is. Didn't come across any ad's as a previous poster mentioned, and I didn't find the list small either. Fair play OP and keep up the good work.
Hey wotzgoingon....Thanks for your support It should at a minimum list all trains that are due at a given station in the following 60 minutes. The data comes from Irish Rail so this list can include trains that are due in the more than 60 minutes time too
12-02-2012, 12:47   #15
Sauce

Quote:
Hey draffodx. I have published an update to the market which:

- Fixes the crash that you were receiving.
- Increases the size of station list items.
- Outputs a message when no trains are due so you dont get a blank screen
- Moves the ads have been moved to the bottom of the screen and should not make the screen layout move anymore.

I did not implement your suggestion regarding hiding the latest information when there is none available as I feel this will lead to an inconsistent UI experience and it just didnt look right.

Thansk for the feedback draffodx. Its always helpful

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion