Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2012, 00:07   #1
fanadman1

any idea whats wrong

my 02 seat leon 1.9tdi 110bhp
is extreamly hard to start blows white smoke for a while and is quite dead as per normal would tis be dirty diesel or something else ?
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 00:19   #2
Migworks

white smoke from diesel

Sounds like water vapour burning with the exhaust gases, this gives off the white cloud, unlike black smoke, which is oil mixing with the exhaust gases.

As the engine is also down on power, could be a head gasket leak causing this.

Best bet is to get her to either a good diesel mechanic (someone recommended to you) or sink your trust into a garage, again better if you know them or be introduced to them, though this still wont be a barrier against being ripped off.

Just as an aside, is there anyway a small amount of petrol was put in the tank? hope not.........
10-02-2012, 00:21   #3
dharn

could be glow plugs, hard started white smoke is unburned fuel being expelled, or it could be head gasket gone blowing steam out the exaust
10-02-2012, 00:25   #4
fanadman1

since posting earlyer i've been told it could be an air flow meter symtoms very similer :/ no chance petrol got in i put 10 euro of diesel in just hours befor this started :/ the car is hard started when warm so would that not rule the glow plugs out ?
10-02-2012, 00:27   #5
dharn

YA THAT WOULD RULE OUT GLOW PLUGS.
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 00:36   #6
Migworks

and i spent three days arguing with my dad over a mysterious problem that stopped our old van dead, and what was the cause? He put a small amount of diesel in our petrol tank and that was that lol.

Air sensors can break down, although modern cars running ecu's usually have a default mode when a sensor goes, allowing you to continue driving (get you home mode). Not sure if it would cause the smoke? When you start her up (or him 8@) ) and its pumping out the white smoke, put your hand near the tailpipe, does it become very wet??? lot of moisture coming through is water getting into the exhaust system.

A well kitted out mechanic will have a pressure tester he can rig to the engine and it will show up any head gasket leaks.

Good luck fixing her (or him)
10-02-2012, 00:39   #7
fanadman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migworks View Post
and i spent three days arguing with my dad over a mysterious problem that stopped our old van dead, and what was the cause? He put a small amount of diesel in our petrol tank and that was that lol.

Air sensors can break down, although modern cars running ecu's usually have a default mode when a sensor goes, allowing you to continue driving (get you home mode). Not sure if it would cause the smoke? When you start her up (or him 8@) ) and its pumping out the white smoke, put your hand near the tailpipe, does it become very wet??? lot of moisture coming through is water getting into the exhaust system.

A well kitted out mechanic will have a pressure tester he can rig to the engine and it will show up any head gasket leaks.

Good luck fixing her (or him)
im takeing HER to a machince friend tomorrow the white smoke is not moisture anyway but the head gasgate was done not so long about so that should be ruled out aswell ?
a friend of mines mk4 golf went and it showed very similer symtoms dead hard to start and white smoke :/ btw i feel cars should always be her
10-02-2012, 01:06   #8
Migworks

well, the head gasket might of been done before, but unless the head was skimmed (adds to the cost so a lot will chance not doing it) it might be going again.

See how you go mate, hopefully your bud will identify the prob and its a quick cheap fix.

And cars will always be a SHE, mainly due to HER being very good at emptying our wallets!!!
10-02-2012, 01:21   #9
d o'c

whats the coolant level like.

if it is head/ head gasket symtoms again,
get the head pressure tested.

if the car was badly overheated before (the previous HG), and the head gasket is gone again then change the head

Last edited by d o'c; 10-02-2012 at 01:23.
Advertisement
10-02-2012, 10:07   #10
sean1141

is the tempature gauge inside working normally??
10-02-2012, 12:38   #11
fanadman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1141 View Post
is the tempature gauge inside working normally??
no
10-02-2012, 12:39   #12
sean1141

replace the coolant temp sensor, buy a genuine one, they are about 30 quid and easy enough to fit
10-02-2012, 12:48   #13
fanadman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1141 View Post
replace the coolant temp sensor, buy a genuine one, they are about 30 quid and easy enough to fit
is this what it sounds to be ? id be elighted if its all that it is :/ im so worried i got dirty diesel and ****ed up my injecters
10-02-2012, 13:00   #14
dharn

doubt if its that simple, white smoke when cranking is not good
10-02-2012, 16:57   #15
RoSparrow

tbh it sounds more like the turbo with the white smoke and down on power.
Did u check the oil level id check that straight away

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion