Steyr replacement - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2012, 11:08   #16
KickstartHeart

OP do you have a link to the article? I'd like to get a read of it.
Cheers.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 11:10   #17
KickstartHeart

Any idea what sites they might put on them anybody?
08-02-2012, 11:35   #18
neilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilled View Post
There are two versions of the A3, the A3 and the A3 SF.

See http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/military-law-enf/
There was also an Austeyr A4, but that seems to have dropped off the radar somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoltuile View Post
Thanks. Is that a mechanism release catch on the A3?
It is.
This presentation covers where the aussies are going with the f-88 http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2011smallar...397Evenden.pdf
08-02-2012, 22:10   #19
SIRREX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoltuile View Post
Thanks. Is that a mechanism release catch on the A3?
If your refering to the catch on the side of the butt, just behind the magazine, then it's an extra magazine catch required in the US, AFAIK for the purpose of preventing high speed mag changes etc
08-02-2012, 22:16   #20
Donny5
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRREX View Post
If your refering to the catch on the side of the butt, just behind the magazine, then it's an extra magazine catch required in the US, AFAIK for the purpose of preventing high speed mag changes etc
You're talking out your arse - it's the Bolt Release Catch and it releases the action forward following an IA.
Advertisement
08-02-2012, 22:31   #21
amurph0

The PDF already use the AUG A2 in limited numbers, fitted with an Elcan sight. And have been using them for a good few years.

You can see it being used on a live fire range in a video on the DF youtube page.

I've been told that in the future most members of each section on training exercises and overseas will be issued with an A2 mounted with an Elcan Spectre DR sight (different from the one in the video) while the rest will use the A1.

Non-infantry units (Artillery, Logs, Comms, etc) will continue to use the A1.

I've also been told that the A3 is a no go for general issue because of the cost and added weight. Plus the fact that accessories that could be mounted to the side rails (PEQ units, lights, grips etc) aren't on general issue anyways, so unless those accessories go on general issue then the A3 won't be considered because it isn't necessary.

Last edited by amurph0; 08-02-2012 at 22:40.
08-02-2012, 22:35   #22
SIRREX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny5 View Post
You're talking out your arse - it's the Bolt Release Catch and it releases the action forward following an IA.
Boll*x it is, I've been firing the Steyr for over 20 years, and there is no specific bolt release catch, when the action locks to the rear it is released by means of the the cocking handle. Try checking out who your talking to before you talk out of your arse!!

I may be wrong about the reason for the extra magazine release catch, and thats why I said AFAIK (As Far As I Know)
08-02-2012, 22:44   #23
amurph0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRREX View Post
Boll*x it is, I've been firing the Steyr for over 20 years, and there is no specific bolt release catch, when the action locks to the rear it is released by means of the the cocking handle. Try checking out who your talking to before you talk out of your arse!!

I may be wrong about the reason for the extra magazine release catch, and thats why I said AFAIK (As Far As I Know)
Actually he's correct. It is a bolt release catch.

That "extra magazine release" you see on the side of M4's is also a bolt release catch, it is the button that is used to release the action after the hold open device holds it to the rear when there's an empty magazine. That feature was taken from the M4/M16 design and added to the more recent Steyr AUG designs for the american market.

Also if you watch the official Steyr presentation video on the A3 SF you'll see the button being used after a magazine change to release the action without having to use the cocking handle.

Last edited by amurph0; 08-02-2012 at 22:48.
Thanks from:
08-02-2012, 22:58   #24
SIRREX

[QUOTE=amurph0;76988964]Actually he's correct. It is a bolt release catch.

That "extra magazine release" you see on the side of M4's is also a bolt release catch, it is the button that is used to release the action after the hold open device holds it to the rear when there's an empty magazine. /QUOTE]

I'll get me coat!!
I must be stuck in the past with the Irish version
Advertisement
09-02-2012, 00:49   #25
Manic Moran

The Steyr design has been around for so many years, it's inevitable that there are changes made in the design over the last few decades.

This, for example, is very definitely a bolt release.

Whereas this...

is a magazine release.

The one on the A3 linked to in the earlier post is a bolt release.

Manual located here: http://www.steyrarms.com/fileadmin/u...USA_Manual.pdf "Bolt Release Lever"
Thanks from:
09-02-2012, 02:10   #26
Story_Bud
Closed Account

not the one i first read but ah sure
http://www.herald.ie/news/defence-fo...e-2926884.html
09-02-2012, 14:48   #27
Poccington
Closed Account

New housing with rail system and sight system will be the order of the day.
09-02-2012, 17:45   #28
Maoltuile

[QUOTE=SIRREX;76989272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post

That "extra magazine release" you see on the side of M4's is also a bolt release catch, it is the button that is used to release the action after the hold open device holds it to the rear when there's an empty magazine. /QUOTE]

I'll get me coat!!
You're not alone. For those of us who remember the FN, IA's may just get more familiar again
09-02-2012, 19:20   #29
Donny5
Closed Account

[QUOTE=SIRREX;76989272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amurph0 View Post

I'll get me coat!!
No worries. I could have been a bit more diplomatic myself. Anyway, the A3 looks a good choice for the replacement.
10-02-2012, 00:25   #30
SIRREX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
Whereas this...

is a magazine release.
Yep that's the one I was confusing it with, Manic, can you tell us what was the reasoning behind the fitting of these auxillary magazine catches? And are they state specific or country wide

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion