Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10.2 million pound Lottery Winners claim disability allowances

• 04-02-2012 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/10077211

A couple who scooped a £10.2 million lottery jackpot have defended their right to claim benefits more than six years later.
    Mick and Jean O'Shea won the huge EuroMillions sum in 2005, but Mr O'Shea still receives £500 a month disability allowance because it is not means-tested, the Sun reported.

Even though the're not actually breaking the law, do you think the money and free cars should go to people who can't afford it?

The former builder told the newspaper: "I worked for 40 years and I'm entitled to it. I've been getting it since about 1996. I declared the win to the authorities at the time, but it doesn't matter as it's not means-tested."

Hmmm....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Fair play to him. I'd do it if I could get away with it. If ye can't beat em, join em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Don't see anything wrong with it tbh, yes they may be rich already, but they are entitled to it, so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Because you can doesn't mean you should.
    I'd feel pretty mangey doing that.

Stingey thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

With 10 million he could turn himself into an Ironman, but he's probably not as he would lose his disability allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Because you can doesn't mean you should.
    I'd feel pretty mangey doing that.

Stingey thread?
    I couldn't agree more. In these recessionary times shouldn't there be more means testing to make sur the people getting benefits are in genuine need of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's Legal, and there's Moral.......not always the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    I'm entitled to it.
    That's what is wrong with Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fucking idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

KKkitty wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. In these recessionary times shouldn't there be more means testing to make sur the people getting benefits are in genuine need of them.

If the couple won the Irish Lottery they would be means tested. In the UK it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We shouldn't have to rely on people "doing the right thing", whether it comes to social welfare, pay or whatever. It's up to governments (and the people who elect them) making sure that they're spending our money properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    If the couple won the Irish Lottery they would be means tested. In the UK it's not.
    It should be means tested anyway no matter what country you reside in. People struggle every day and these people rubbing their noses in it doesn't make it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

KKkitty wrote: »
    It should be means tested anyway no matter what country you reside in. People struggle every day and these people rubbing their noses in it doesn't make it better.

I agree completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Simple answer:

They're hungry bastards. That 10 million is still in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Claim it but give it away to charity...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

its not that id feel bad or stingey tbh, even though it is a very stingey thing to do, but if i had 10.2 million in the bank or wherever i certainly wouldnt be even thinking of, oh must get my sw payment today! :confused:

thats a very comfortable existance by far to have with 10million, my goal would to never be on sw again if i had that, just because i could definitly say that, most people couldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Claim it but give it away to charity...

Just about to say that.

It's what Alan Sugar does with his allowances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's what is wrong with Ireland.

What that the uk disability allowance isn't means tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bound to be Irish anyway.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Such an attitude of entitlement in this country . . .

ottostreet wrote: »
    Don't see anything wrong with it tbh, yes they may be rich already, but they are entitled to it, so why not?

Entitled, the most over used, over rated word on the planet. Everyone thinks they are 'Entitled 'to something. ::rolleyes:

Shouldnt any disablitiy be based on the fact that you cant work and therefore cant afford to look after your self? why does this man think he is Entitled to state care, when he can quite clearly care for himself.

Greedy bastard. Kick up the hole is what hes entitled to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

As he said he worked for 40 years and is entitled to it. regardless of the win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Look to your leaders

David Cameron is a multi millionaire and claimed disability allowance for his son

He is the leader after all and wants people to follow him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

whatsamsn wrote: »
    Simple answer:

They're hungry bastards. That 10 million is still in the bank.

Totally agree they're just miserable, hungry,grasping, scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Jean O'Shea: "Now that we've won 10 million in the Lotto Mick, what will we do about all the begging letters?"

Mick O'Shea: "Keep sending them Jean!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

patwicklow wrote: »

It's not a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fair play to them I say. It's not their fault that such a ridiculous welfare system exists. It takes extreme cases like this to make people realise just how absurdly unfair and ambiguous the criterion is for some of this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mickey Lover

Imagine having that amount of money and that attitude - it's sickening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Such an attitude of entitlement in this country . . .

It's a UK issue, unless you mean the few people in this thread who said they would do the same.

lets not kid our selves here, theres plenty in Ireland with that exact same sense of ENTITLEMENT, who are doin the diddle, taking money they dont need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

patwicklow wrote: »

If everyone got their tax mone back through benfits what does the country run on?

Advertisement