Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-01-2012, 19:55   #1
Mumty

Why Are We Forced To Do Religion For JC?

I hate religion its a f****** joke, learning about God when I could be doing something practical. Why are we forced into Religion? I don't even believe in God but I still have to do the exam!

And our class is a joke, nobody takes him seriously, I could really be doing something better with my time, like a study period.
So why is my school forcing this bullsh*t on me?
Advertisement
28-01-2012, 20:14   #2
ButtonBox

Before you start attending a secondary school, you're supposed to know what subjects are mandatory or not. In some schools, religion is, so you have to take the exam (in the junior cert cycle anyway) whether you want to or not, unfortunately.. :/
I agree, though. I'd like a free class to study, but that'd only be useful in exam years, you know? Other years would just doss most of the time like.
Religion class would be so much more fun if it wasn't an exam subject.
28-01-2012, 23:59   #3
spurious
Category Moderator

Most Irish schools are owned by reigious orders or churches. Even VEC schools, which are not owned by them are obliged by law to give two hours of religion per week. It shows you how disgracefully under the heel of the church Irish governments have been and still are.
Thanks from:
29-01-2012, 00:03   #4
kelijryan

the religion that is usualy in the jc isnt just about catholics, its about all world religions and how they started and what their culture is it can be interesting at times
Thanks from:
29-01-2012, 00:12   #5
baz2009

Send a message via MSN to baz2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
It shows you how disgracefully under the heel of the church Irish governments have been and still are.
If they were then it'd all be Catholocism. When I did my JC in 2009 there was much more emphasis on the other world religions than Catholocism. It's good to have some education and understanding of them, imo.
Advertisement
29-01-2012, 10:13   #6
spurious
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz2009 View Post
Quote:
It shows you how disgracefully under the heel of the church Irish governments have been and still are.
If they were then it'd all be Catholocism. When I did my JC in 2009 there was much more emphasis on the other world religions than Catholocism. It's good to have some education and understanding of them, imo.
The religion exam is no problem - it is a choice. The OP asked about having to do religion and the reason is church owned and church controlled and church influenced schools, be they catholic, protestant, islamic or jedi.

Outside an academic study or exam situation, it has no place in a school, imo.
29-01-2012, 10:44   #7
conorcan2

Quote:
The religion exam is no problem - it is a choice. The OP asked about having to do religion and the reason is church owned and church controlled and church influenced schools, be they catholic, protestant, islamic or jedi.

Spurious:

I went to a Christian brothers school. In religion class, there was a equal/greater coverage of non-catholic topics. Free debate was encouraged and I don't remember the teacher advocating Christian ideals. It was similar to how a secular, non-partisan class about religion should be. Maybe your experience was different.

I believe that it is important to learn about religion because it is one of the most powerful socio-economical-political influences in the world. You can learn about religion without having to believe in any of it.

The idea that education should merely be for productive ends is great for making students into producers, but there are other aspects of being human that don't have readily quantifiable results. History is another example of a subject that seems unproductive.
29-01-2012, 10:46   #8
franciebellew
Banned

What is jc?
29-01-2012, 10:48   #9
conorcan2

Jesus Clones.

or Junior Cert...take your pick.

Last edited by conorcan2; 29-01-2012 at 10:49. Reason: Not 100% accurate
Advertisement
29-01-2012, 11:20   #10
franciebellew
Banned

Who the fu-ck is Jesus clone?
29-01-2012, 20:43   #11
Bazinga_N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumty View Post
I hate religion its a f****** joke, learning about God when I could be doing something practical. Why are we forced into Religion? I don't even believe in God but I still have to do the exam!

And our class is a joke, nobody takes him seriously, I could really be doing something better with my time, like a study period.
So why is my school forcing this bullsh*t on me?
Firstly, I too am atheist, in matter of fact three out of the nineteen in our religion class is atheist, there is two Protestants, one Muslim and the other thirteen are Catholic. So, if our class was all about God, there would be some serious issues :/ !! So, in our class so far anyways, we studied Communities, Christianity, Islam and Morality? I'm guessing your teacher doesn't move on too quickly! Have you done anything else but Christianity?? Maybe your teacher's a nun or something Anyways, most likely its probably your class's fault. If there messing and not listening our taking there serious then its very hard for your teacher to move on and TEACH ye :O!! Religion is a lovely subject and many people get A's in it! (Me included )

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciebellew View Post
Who the fu-ck is Jesus clone?
Oh lord

Quote:
Agreed, if a school should be multicultural, than it most certainly should not be focusing on a religion!
30-01-2012, 17:44   #12
AtomicKoala

I think that two hours a week is ridiculous, that time could be used far better. I'd say put the relgious stuff in with CSPE, and make it mandatory to have two CSPE classes a week, and an extra Computer class. Just my opinion.

Also the religious education system is very much biased towards Catholicism - over half of any R.E. book is Catholic ethos Christianity in my experience. Our school never did exams mind, given we wasted two hours a week on Religion, I'd nearly prefer we had done it for the JC.
31-01-2012, 17:29   #13
user43210

You do not HAVE to do religion for the junior cert.
I didn't and was the only one in my school at the time. See this website for advice on getting out of it http://www.teachdontpreach.ie/
31-01-2012, 20:50   #14
Julius Seizure

Quote:
Most Irish schools are owned by reigious orders or churches. Even VEC schools, which are not owned by them are obliged by law to give two hours of religion per week. It shows you how disgracefully under the heel of the church Irish governments have been and still are.
Im in a co-ed VEC school and we get 40 mins religion a week. Not that we actually take it for the Junior Cert. We just get study time instead
31-01-2012, 21:57   #15
graeme157

I'd go mental if my school made us sit the religion exam. We do all world religions and morality that were mentioned above but we don't have to actual learn anything.

We just spend religion class staring at our fit teacher!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion