Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-01-2012, 23:55   #16
Zaph
Commander of The Internet

Yeah, they're not bad there. There's one who has a face like a smacked arse on her all the time, but the rest of them are pretty pleasant.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-01-2012, 02:04   #17
CrazyRabbit

Tesco in Roselawn are a great example of how not to run a supermarket. I can't remember the last time there was even baskets at the front door. I always have to go down the line of checkouts hunting for one.

The foods on the shelves are frequently 1-2 days from their 'sell by' date even though it should be 7-10 days for 'fresh' food. That and the fact that they are frequently sold out of many things would indicate that the don't get resupplied with fresh stock very often. It's amazing see so many empty shelves in there sometimes.

Oh, and they have the worst choice of any supermarket I've visited.

And as mentioned above, the staff are like zombies.

I'd go elsewhere, but they are 20 seconds walk away, are open 24 hours (which suits me), and I don't have a car to go a lot further away.
(2) thanks from:
31-01-2012, 09:50   #18
Turbulent Bill

Service-wise I think Superquinn in Blanch village is pretty good, and overall it's my preferred supermarket. Great selection of fresh food, acceptable prices (once you avail of the offers) and the fact that it's never too busy are all important too.

Dunnes in the centre is inevitably mobbed (selection is good though), while Tesco Roselawn looks like a bomb site. M&S doesn't have the selection or prices to make me go regularly, and I hate that pretty much everything is UK-sourced.
31-01-2012, 12:45   #19
Cathmandooo
Gifterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
It's surprising that there isn't a Supervalu in D15 at all. The nearest is Leixlip I think.
There used to be, I worked in there mind you that was 12 years ago

Not sure why they left, it used to do a good trade.
31-01-2012, 13:31   #20
Polar101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathmandooo View Post
There used to be, I worked in there mind you that was 12 years ago

Not sure why they left, it used to do a good trade.
I'm curious, whereabouts was it back then? (Only lived in the area for the past 6 years myself)
Advertisement
31-01-2012, 13:42   #21
ThisRegard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRabbit View Post
The foods on the shelves are frequently 1-2 days from their 'sell by' date even though it should be 7-10 days for 'fresh' food.
How so ? If it's one or two days within its sell by date, it's within the sell by date. There's no such thing as fresh food having to be within a certain period of a sell by date. In fact you shouldn't even go by the sell by date when you're buying something, it's the use-by or best before date that's important. Even at that there's nothing wrong with having some on display after its best before date as long as it's obviously not spoiled.
Thanks from:
31-01-2012, 14:00   #22
Nolimits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar101 View Post
I'm curious, whereabouts was it back then? (Only lived in the area for the past 6 years myself)
Eurospar in Hartstown used to be a Super Value when I was a kid
31-01-2012, 14:02   #23
Cathmandooo
Gifterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar101 View Post
It used to be the ground floor of Debenhams in the centre. It was Roches Stores back then with a Supervalu supermarket. I think the supermarket went before Debenhams took over and Roches used both floors for home and clothing for a while.
Thanks from:
31-01-2012, 14:02   #24
Nolimits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisRegard View Post
How so ? If it's one or two days within its sell by date, it's within the sell by date. There's no such thing as fresh food having to be within a certain period of a sell by date. In fact you shouldn't even go by the sell by date when you're buying something, it's the use-by or best before date that's important. Even at that there's nothing wrong with having some on display after its best before date as long as it's obviously not spoiled.
As some one that works in the Dunnes in the center (really getting hammered in here) it's illegal for anything to be on the shelf after its best before date, you can get a fine for each item. That's not to say that mistakes don't happen though
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
31-01-2012, 14:05   #25
ntlbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by annfield1978 View Post
superquin has more staff than customers
None of them seem to work on the till tho?
31-01-2012, 14:05   #26
ThisRegard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolimits View Post
As some one that works in the Dunnes in the center (really getting hammered in here) it's illegal for anything to be on the shelf after its best before date, you can get a fine for each item.
It's not illegal, an item after its best before date, which is an advisory date, can be sold after such a date as long as the customer is aware of said date.

However it is illegal to sell items after their use by date.
Thanks from:
31-01-2012, 14:06   #27
ntlbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead Panda View Post
Pretty dismal apart from M&S. They're really friendly in there. I don't go to Superquinn enough to comment on it, but Dunnes in the centre and Tesco in Roselawn are awful. I nearly always feel like I'm inconveniencing them.

We've started to shop in Tesco in Cabra and it's like another world there. The shelves are fully stocked and the staff are friendly.

I think it's called the honeymoon period
(2) thanks from:
31-01-2012, 14:11   #28
Nolimits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisRegard View Post
It's not illegal, an item after its best before date, which is an advisory date, can be sold after such a date as long as the customer is aware of said date.

However it is illegal to sell items after their use by date.
Fair enough, we don't ever tell people if something is past its best before date, it's supposed to be just taken off the shelf, this is probably where the fine comes in as the customer hasn't been made aware of the date.
31-01-2012, 14:29   #29
annR

I find the fruit from Tesco Roselawn absolutely terrible. Horrible oranges and cardboard pears . .. . . .

I shop in Lidl and never have a complaint about the customer service. The place is professionally run. Totally different culture to the established supermarkets here.
Thanks from:
31-01-2012, 19:03   #30
annfield1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlbell View Post
None of them seem to work on the till tho?
yeah, they are all managers, i had a laugh about it with one of the till girl, all these guys running around managing their section, its not big enough to warrent 4 or 5 managers!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion