Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

21-02-2012, 01:39   #241
Ginge Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambridge View Post
you'd swear to god you were working in the pentagon. the biggest criticism thus far of the su and c&s is lack of transparency. why are you always trying to hide what's been talking about. would you not just say rather this cloak and dagger bull****. that trojan horse was a **** gimmick but i coming around to think you're some kind of walter mitty character.
There has been no transparanecy issues with C&S. The council agenda is never really hidden, is sent to all committee members of all c+s and it's not confidential, so anyone can request it or ask there committees to send it on.

Most people are not interested, so it's not sent out to everyone, I think there are moves to include them all on the website.

Edit: I do apologize if my original statement made it seem like we are all "cloaks and daggers".

Last edited by Ginge Young; 21-02-2012 at 01:47.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 01:55   #242
deise go deo
Closed Account

Quote:
Oh sorry i didn't know that. I really don't know much about local politics in ireland. My father helped Gerry Adams out with an election recently i just presumed we're on the same team.

Sinn Fein are a left wing party, and thats by European standards. In the US they would be seen as Communists.
Very much not the same team as the Republicen Party in the US.
21-02-2012, 03:34   #243
Mikel91

Quote:
Originally Posted by deise go deo View Post
Sinn Fein are a left wing party, and thats by European standards. In the US they would be seen as Communists.
Very much not the same team as the Republicen Party in the US.
SF republican is very different from what Irish Republicanism truly is.

I heard Dave Ryan is running
21-02-2012, 09:55   #244
wnolan1992

Quote:
Derek insists 24 hour library isn't a runner. I am inclined to agree with him but will have to do some research. As we all have rfid cards it will be easier to implement better swipe control access to rooms. I would try and get a 24 reading room in the main building (which is open 24 -7 anyway) for people to work around the clock on their laptops but i don't think i could get them access to books.
I believe that with cutbacks, 24 hour library access would be a no go. And I would advise against campaigning under the pretense that you could provide it.
I would agree with you on the main building though. Frankly it's a little baffling that they don't have a tutorial room with swipe access 24/7, given that security are already working those hours, so would be practically no cost to implement. I think anyone that could get a place to work 24/7 which is a little more conducive to work than Red Raisins would certainly gain a lot of votes.

Quote:
you'd swear to god you were working in the pentagon. the biggest criticism thus far of the su and c&s is lack of transparency. why are you always trying to hide what's been talking about. would you not just say rather this cloak and dagger bull****. that trojan horse was a **** gimmick but i coming around to think you're some kind of walter mitty character.
What's your name again?

I reckon if both Paddy and Kelly ran it could be a very closely run election. Paddy has the personality, and Kelly has the track record in office (leaving aside the childish Facebook spats, etc).
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 10:50   #245
SarahBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
Quote:
dropped out of his first degree? Is that the type of person you want to see elected? someone that can't follow through on the convictions? someone who can't even pass a degree. maybe he should have spent less time being a clubs and socs hack and more time studying.
Do you really think he dropped out? That he couldn't handle it? Engineering is a harder course you clown.
He HAS a degree. If cambridge had bothered to read my first post he/she would know that.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 11:39   #246
CiaranMT

Quote:
Oh sorry i didn't know that. I really don't know much about local politics in ireland
Clearly. And yet you say you're running for a political position?
21-02-2012, 11:55   #247
CiaranMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemeat View Post
3. What changes would you make as regards the shops that have closed? I live in cappavilla and it is extremely inconvenient to have to walk twenty minutes at night across the living bridge, not to mind extremely dangerous. The fear of being robbed raped or worse is a pertinent one at the forefront of my mind.
For one, why would you be walking across the bridge at night to a shop? The SU shop only stays open until 9, Spar by the Castletroy Park til 10, and then you'd be talking about walking down to the Groody Roundabout to the 24h places, which would take almost half an hour to get to.

Even if you were out at night looking for a shop, Cappa was only ever open til 8pm.

Also, have you ever heard of a case of robbery/rape/assault on that bridge?

Quote:
4. As a fourth year student knee deep in my FYP, I feel longer opening hours in the library are necessary, or perhaps a 24 hour reading room like I gather is operated in trinity. How would you orchestrate same?
There are a number of 24h rooms in the main building. I would like to see 24h access to the library though. You'd need to have more reliable book scanners though. The number of times they break down is ridiculous
21-02-2012, 12:40   #248
Jester252

Reading this thread
(2) thanks from:
21-02-2012, 13:25   #249
canned_ulkc

After quite a bit of an old knock to the head at the weekend there I had to read a few of the posts in this thread a few times.
There are several people along the thread who deserve some defence.

I hope they take comfort in the fact that they have been quite misrepresented by opinions of people who are obviously trolling for fun or trolling in order to pre-scupper the plans of possible candidates.

Personal insults aren't fun and aren't required and when I started this thread I certainly didn't intend for the tirade of what can only be called manure which has been thrown. (Actually, let's be honest - personal insults can be fun - but they've definitely been a bit much in this thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemeat View Post
those lot are nothing players, they wouldn't be able to step up to the big leagues I don't think. Canning doesn't have the charisma or charm for an election campaign.
I have to address this specifically.... Who are you horsemeat? I'd like to know because I am Tony Canning and I think I'm great craic! Certainly I have enough people in my life who display respect for me and whom I respect in return; I don't need the approval of everyone I've ever talked to and feel that there is an amount of integrity about that for which I am proud.

In saying that, I won't pretend that saying such a thing doesn't effect me - I'm just wondering why it is you feel the need to attack a few people here? Fair enough if that's your opinion but it's neither honourable nor true to express a subjective opinion so publicly.

Now - as for rumours of me seeking nomination. I'll neither confirm nor deny. Why? Because it's sometimes fun to watch the trolls speculate. I am puzzled however at why it is my name is now linked to ULSU Presidency while I'd be far far more interested in Education Officer (if I were to go for anything) considering I have come through an education course, feel passionately about the value of education and see education as a means to empower people rather than as products strictly output as human capital.

In terms of being a "nothing player" I would argue that I have a lot to offer the SU.
I regard myself as being straight up with people. I have a lot of experience in hi-tech industry and in being a union rep in industry.
I put massive value into education and the different things it means to different people.
I feel I rarely make a judgement without making an effort to see the full picture. And while I would blame nobody for not being physically attracted to me I recokn I have a decent sense of humour which may need a bit of toning down for any potential election campaign.
I have been involved in campaigns before, been captain of the kayak club and maybe I could campaign with my dog Max - if you don't think I'm charming, you should meet him. He's a sap and a better companion than most people!
While I am often confident of being right I have been known to admit that I can be wrong. I think transparency is the only way forward. I think several lecturers could take a kick in the arse; however my experience of lecturers has, on the whole, been extremely positive.
I have seen a lot of changes in ULSU over the time I've been around and would have clear ideas on what the role of Education Officer certainly should include.

But all that gets away from the OP - I'd far rather hear about the rumours rather than anyone's campaign manifesto and insults.

Tony

(P.S. to anyone who is aware of the charisma and charm displayed at the weekend I'd like to say "NO RESPONSIBILITY")
Advertisement
21-02-2012, 13:40   #250
sceptre
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to sceptre Send a message via Skype™ to sceptre
As per usual, towards election time, when some people tend to go all monkey-like and start throwing lumps of poo at walls, I encourage you all to make your posts worthwhile, with a point and preferably with reasonable politeness.

In the absence of those things, those of you who can't do that (happily there are people who can) are wasting electrons. Please don't waste electrons - while there are plenty of them, their quantity is finite. Post with a point or don't bother.

/mod
21-02-2012, 14:26   #251
wnolan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaranMT View Post
To be fair, not having an affiliation with a political party, or being ignorant of Irish politics is irrelevant. The SU President represents us, the students of UL, not a political party. At least it'd cut out the pointless posts like we've seen all year going "Yeah well Derek's a FFer, *rabble rabble rabble*"

The only point where cambridge should/would have a problem would be in his future plans for being Taoiseach and Grand World Ruler.
(3) thanks from:
21-02-2012, 15:15   #252
CiaranMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnolan1992 View Post
To be fair, not having an affiliation with a political party, or being ignorant of Irish politics is irrelevant. The SU President represents us, the students of UL, not a political party. At least it'd cut out the pointless posts like we've seen all year going "Yeah well Derek's a FFer, *rabble rabble rabble*"

The only point where cambridge should/would have a problem would be in his future plans for being Taoiseach and Grand World Ruler.
Point taken, but (assuming cambridge is even serious about running, which I doubt) someone running for a election for what is a not-insignificant position, without having at least some interest in or knowledge of politics isn't going to inspire the greatest of confidence in the electorate. In my view.
21-02-2012, 15:28   #253
cambridge
Banned

Quote:
I'm not running for a 'political position'. I am running for the position of Students Union president, which I envsion as CEO of a small but demanding business. Nothing really to do with politics except the beauty pageant at the start.

Quote:
For one, why would you be walking across the bridge at night to a shop? The SU shop only stays open until 9, Spar by the Castletroy Park til 10, and then you'd be talking about walking down to the Groody Roundabout to the 24h places, which would take almost half an hour to get to.

Even if you were out at night looking for a shop, Cappa was only ever open til 8pm.

Also, have you ever heard of a case of robbery/rape/assault on that bridge?
:
what are you saying? people should stay in doors after dark, if she wants to go shopping she is entitled to do so. it gets dark in the winter at 5pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnolan1992 View Post

Fair play nolan, on the ball today.

Quote:
Point taken, but (assuming cambridge is even serious about running, which I doubt) someone running for a election for what is a not-insignificant position, without having at least some interest in or knowledge of politics isn't going to inspire the greatest of confidence in the electorate. In my view.
I said i've no knowledge of irish politics. I don't really care who eamonn develera was, who bertie ahern is, why willie o'dea is or isn't a legend. nothing to do with the role. absolutely nothing.
21-02-2012, 15:38   #254
CiaranMT

Quote:

what are you saying? people should stay in doors after dark, if she wants to go shopping she is entitled to do so. it gets dark in the winter at 5pm.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

Horsemeat was pointing to the fact that you'd have to walk over the bridge at night to go to a shop now that Cappa is closed. I pointed out that you'd have to do this anyway as Cappa only stayed open til 8, so her point was moot.

It's dark at 5, sure, but 5 is still the evening time, summer or winter. There will still be plenty of people around going to and from lectures and offices.

I also am still interested to hear if anyone has any records of assaults/robberies etc that have occurred on the bridge? It's not something I've ever heard about.
21-02-2012, 15:45   #255
cambridge
Banned

are you a member of the gardaí? do you expect people to send you twitter updates on their assaults?
Thread Closed