Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'48' Mobile operator - Prepaid offer - 3000mins & 5000 texts €10per month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nope.

This happened to at least 2 people I knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Nope.

This happened to at least 2 people I knows.
    Had a look on the site and found this:
    Where you have selected the VIP membership option you will also receive an allowance of 3GB of mobile internet. Your 3GB internet allowance will expire when your active monthly membership expires or when you have used your inclusive allowance, whichever should occur first.

Should you use your internet allowance before your active membership has expired we will notify you and you will be able to purchase additional internet add-ons.
    and:
    18.1 It is important that all eligible 48 customers are able to access our services. This fair use policy applies where your use of the 48 Services is deemed by us to be excessive or unreasonable. The Charges are subject to a fair use threshold currently set at 3,000 minutes and 5,000 text messages for every monthly period that applies. Your use may also be considered by us to be excessive where you call more than 100 different phone numbers or text more than 200 different numbers over the course of any monthly period that applies.

The thresholds for the 48 internet options are:
    VIP Membership - 3GB per calendar month
    Weekly Internet Add On - 750MB per week.
    Our internet options are available for use with your 48 SIM Card in your 48 handset only. Tethering or use of the 48 handset as, or the sim in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed and may be disabled.

If, 48 is of the opinion, at its absolute discretion, that your usage of the Service materially exceeds the Threshold over the applicable period, 48 may contact you to advise you that your usage exceeds its fair usage policy. If such excessive usage continues to exceed the Threshold after receipt of a request to desist from or alter the nature of such usage, 48 reserves the right at its absolute discretion, to suspend, modify or restrict your use of the Service or to withdraw your access to the Offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

This post has been deleted.

Did you change your APN settings? You can get the correct settings in the "Help" section on the 48 website.[/QUOTE]

Fenian Army did you ever get the internet sorted? I have used all there settign and even opened a ticket to 48, no joy getting it to work.

I am using CM10 on a SGS2. Data was working on Vodafone, but can't get it working on 48. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭sob1467

Anyone elese get a few emails from 48 today saying that you requested the password to be reset or is it only me?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭TM

Yes. O2 is the network it must use.
    TM wrote: »
    OK-thanks.

I'm on a Vodafone Smart 858/Huawei U8160 running CyanogenMod 7.2. I can't see how to set O2 as the network to use "normally". Do I need to do this explicitly or just select it once and it will try to use that from then on?
    Apologies if I'm labouring the point here but ...

48 (via their discussion/support forum) say that I should see 48 as a separate network and should select that, that I should NOT select O2 and that their SIMs will not allow connection to anything but the 48 network. They also say that they're NOT and MVNO and that not all users will see the roaming "R". Some or all of this seems incorrect but the conflicting info is causing me confusion... I don't see 48 listed as a separate network. I can see Vodafone, O2, Meteor and Hutchinson and the only one that I can connect to/register with is O2 and thereafter I can receive calls and texts - albeit with the roaming "R" on the signal bars. I still haven't paid membership so can't make calls yet. Might just pay the tenner and try it out with the 089 number. Sure if it works I guess I can then port my 087 number...

I also got a text from them saying that they could not push settings for MMS/internet to my phone and that I need to configure these manually. Is this because I'm on a Vodafone Smart 858/Huawei U8160 running CyanogenMod 7.2 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Anyone have the VIP membership and go over the download cap? What happened? I've been using it loads and worrying about going over it

Happened to me. Cut off until the end of that month. No worries.

sob1467 wrote: »
    Anyone elese get a few emails from 48 today saying that you requested the password to be reset or is it only me?

Nothing here.

Apologies if I'm labouring the point here but ...

48 (via their discussion/support forum) say that I should see 48 as a separate network and should select that, that I should NOT select O2 and that their SIMs will not allow connection to anything but the 48 network. They also say that they're NOT and MVNO and that not all users will see the roaming "R". Some or all of this seems incorrect but the conflicting info is causing me confusion... I don't see 48 listed as a separate network. I can see Vodafone, O2, Meteor and Hutchinson and the only one that I can connect to/register with is O2 and thereafter I can receive calls and texts - albeit with the roaming "R" on the signal bars. I still haven't paid membership so can't make calls yet. Might just pay the tenner and try it out with the 089 number. Sure if it works I guess I can then port my 087 number...

I also got a text from them saying that they could not push settings for MMS/internet to my phone and that I need to configure these manually. Is this because I'm on a Vodafone Smart 858/Huawei U8160 running CyanogenMod 7.2 or something?
    48 are still insisting that I should see 48 in the network list and I must use that and no other network... :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Fair point! :) I'll probably topup/pay membership with the 089 number & see how it goes on a test basis and if it looks OK will port my 087 number. Just that the conflicting info from 48 makes me a bit nervous that I might get into a situation whereby I lose service or end up getting stung for charges.

Do not pay for the 089 number and then port. If you do you will end up paying twice.

Do not pay for the 089 number and then port. If you do you will end up paying twice.

OK - thanks - wasn't aware of that. I thought you could topup/pay membership on the 089 number and then "convert" it to the ported in 087 number.

Anyway - just for the record

Using Vodafone Smart 858/Huaewi U8160 running CyanogenMod 7.2 I see the following networks and can only connect to O2 allowing incoming calls/texts and puts the roaming "R" on the signal bars:

- Vodafone 2G/3G
    - O2 2G/3G
    - Meteor 2G/3G
    - Hutchinson 3G

Using an unlocked iPhone 3G I see this:

- 3 IRL
    - IRL METEOR
    - vodafone IE

and obviously I can connect to 48 and see no roaming indicator.

I guess I'll just port the 087 number and hope for the best on O2...

Thanks for all the comments/advice & apologies for labouring the point but it is a bit confusing when 48 tech support advise otherwise...

Thanks. CyanogenMod doesn't seem to have an explicit option for this but it looks like once you manually select a network that becomes the preferred/automatic network from then on. At least if I stick the 48 SIM in and connect to O2, then shutdown, stick the Vodafone SIM back in and reboot it tries to connect to O2 until I explicitly select Vodafone.

Jaysus - this is confusing...

Just stuck the Vodafone SIM in and selected O2. I get a notification that the network is not available and an "x" on the signal bars indicating no service. If I check settings etc. it says network unavailable.... BUT I can receive texts and calls although I cannot send texts or initiate calls... So the fact that I can connect to O2 with the 48 SIM and receive texts/calls would not seem to guarantee that once I port, topup and pay membership I'll be able to send texts and initiate calls... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Just stuck the Vodafone SIM in and selected O2. I get a notification that the network is not available and an "x" on the signal bars indicating no service. If I check settings etc. it says network unavailable.... BUT I can receive texts and calls although I cannot send texts or initiate calls... So the fact that I can connect to O2 with the 48 SIM and receive texts/calls would not seem to guarantee that once I port, topup and pay membership I'll be able to send texts and initiate calls... :(

I'd say that at this stage, a video tutorial of what you're trying to achieve is in order :eek:

If you just go over the thousand + posts, you'll find proof that no matter how they're doing it, it's working. That's enough for me and don't need to know all the details of their network.

:rolleyes:

Piliger wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Thanks mate - useful contribution. I don't want to end up porting my 087 number and find that I can't get a service. 48 are emphatic that 48 should be listed and selected and explicitly state that things will not work if you chose any other network. THAT'S what's confusing. Is that so difficult for you to understand...? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

48 are emphatic that 48 should be listed and selected and explicitly state that things will not work if you chose any other network.

That's only true of newer equipment that is capable of having the network override the displayed network name.
    • If you put a 48 sim in to an older device it will see O2, not 48, and will connect exactly the same.
    • If you put a 48 sim in to an even older device it will see Digifone, not 48, and will connect exactly the same.
    • If you put a 48 sim in to an even older device it will see Esat, not 48, and will connect exactly the same.

The network names are stored in the handset's software, though newer devices can have this overridden by the network - especially useful for MVNOs, such as 48.

• Advertisement

My phone still displays 48 as IRL Digifone. Works the finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I'm going to be honest- I am on 3Pay (where tethering is banned), but I do it and it works. 48 don't allow you, also- but does it work and have people got away with it?

Secondly, let's be honest- is it dodgy bringing your number over to 48, posing as an 18 year old, and doing the VIP offer? Can they refuse to release my number if they find out and kick me off?

Oh. FYI, when I say tethering I mean that I will tether (wirelessly) the Internet from my Android phone to my iPad for the duration of the bus journey. And that happens like once or twice a month only.

Secondly, let's be honest- is it dodgy bringing your number over to 48, posing as an 18 year old, and doing the VIP offer? Can they refuse to release my number if they find out and kick me off?
    That is uncharted land at present. They could only refuse to release a number where money was owed. As 48 are a prepay service that would not apply.

But can they refuse to release your number?
    Your number is not your property AFAIK.

It would be a matter for Comreg to rule on. Knowing how useless they are it is a risk that I would not take.

Oh, are they a bit all over the place?
    Thanks for the replies, by the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Sky Go doesnt work on my Samsung Galaxy S2.
    The error I get is that Sky Go doesnt work while your roaming, and while I am on 48 network it says I am roaming all the time, even when in ireland.
    Is there anyway to have my phone connected to 48, but not "roaming"?

Just had an email from 48:
    Hi Richard,

We’re making a couple of changes to our T&C’s but instead of being sly and not telling you about it, we’re giving you a heads ups.

1. 60 min Cap on Calls

Our Head of Rejection has uncovered people taking advantage of the 48 network, including businesses and even people using 48 for baby monitors. This isn’t on. 48 is for 18-22 year olds only. So to get these people off the network we’re cutting calls after 60 mins, so you need to hang up and re-dial if you want to keep talking.

2. Boring Operational Stuff

If one of you guys registered more than 2 months ago but never bought membership or stopped using the 48 network for 6 months, we want to be able to take back your number and re use it. We’ll let you know we’re doing it and if you want to keep it you can always reactivate it, but it will take you a couple of days to do it.

These changes will come into place from the 19th of November. If you don’t accept these changes, you can leave 48 without penalty at any stage before these changes happen.

Go conquer,
    The 48 crew
    www.48months.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Tempted to move to the new eMobile offer instead

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement

which is?

Advertisement