Wind coming down chimney - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-01-2012, 17:09   #1
magnumlady

Mod: Sligo
Wind coming down chimney

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
My mother has an oil fired stove. She has a cowl on the chimney but the wind is coming down the chimney and howling, it's also blowing the flame of the fire. It's much worse if the wind is bad. She's had to stop using the fire if it's anyway windy now.
Any suggestions please?
Advertisement
25-01-2012, 17:16   #2
WetDaddy

This isn't a solution to her problem, but if she does decide to totally decomission the stove, you should consider this: http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/P...lloon/1152/605

I actually bought one for my sitting-room fireplace (we *never* use the fire) because we had the same issue: noise & cold. However, you can actually detach these balloons temporarily and reattach when finished. Probably not suitable for an actual stove though since you'd be doing that practically every day.
Thanks from:
25-01-2012, 18:35   #3
heated

There are many different design of ant-down draught cowl on the market. I understand that a "H" Cowl works paticularily well for the type of situation you describe. These are available from among others, MI Flues in Co. Meath. www.miflues.ie
You should check with the stove manufacturer about suitability before making any alteration.
Thanks from:
03-02-2012, 08:40   #4
biggs2010

hi all,

has anyone used or heard of the following?

Chimney Draught Stop
OR
Chimney Closure?

These seem to be on the market a couple of years. Im thinking of buying either one of them but not sure which is the best if any!!

Anyone got any views on them?
23-07-2012, 09:28   #5
nemo32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetDaddy View Post
This isn't a solution to her problem, but if she does decide to totally decomission the stove, you should consider this: http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/P...lloon/1152/605

I actually bought one for my sitting-room fireplace (we *never* use the fire) because we had the same issue: noise & cold. However, you can actually detach these balloons temporarily and reattach when finished. Probably not suitable for an actual stove though since you'd be doing that practically every day.

Hi, Just moved into a new house and the noise coming down the chimney is unbearable. Do you still use this balloon? Does it stop the noise or can you still hear the balloon being hit by the wind?
Advertisement
23-07-2012, 10:42   #6
WetDaddy

Yep - I still use the balloon. In fact, I've never taken it down since I put it up (we don't use the fireplace at all). It hasn't deflated and it still stops both the wind and the noise.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion