Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will RG6 do for Sky

• 23-01-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I want to get Sky in and I want to run the cable myself. I have a roll of RG6. Will this do for Sky?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Yes it'll do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes and no, usually not

There are many kinds of RG6. There is no longer and hasn't been for maybe 15 years any such cable as "RG6" alone. They are all RG6- something.

1) Some are rubbish (Copper plated Steel core, loose aluminium braid and metallised plastic as the foil screen, indoor only insulation).

2) Others are thick full coverage copper braid, solid copper foil, solid copper inner core wire and Outdoor grade plastic for UV or underground.

So it's impossible to say. Unless your so called "RG6" is the second kind, I'd not use it.

note you must not twist or kink the cable or have too tight a bend or the RF properties can be permanently degraded and even specific frequencies blocked.

shblob wrote: »
    Yes it'll do fine.

What basis do you say that without examining the cable? Are you an Engineer with Psychic powers?

Many "RG6" labelled cables are useless for Satellite. The original RG6 was only for cable TV up to 560MHz. Satellite IF is 950MHz to 2100MHz and needs very well screened to avoid interference in (GSM, DECT, 3G) or out.

Only some specific Belden versions are suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ackd

Thanks Watty,

All it says is RG6 Foam Filled 1.0 ccs + 4.6F PE +AL Foil +AL Braiding

What do you reckon?

Cheers,
    ackd

Junk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moro_original

Seeing as you already have the cable, give it a go because it may well work fine. I've mangled cables with the garden strimmer before and still get Freesat. :D

Most people's time is worth more than the cost of proper cable. Also inadequate cable cause inference to other users/services and may have intermittent issues.

All I'm saying is that I've had about 40 metres of cheap RG6 cable buried in a boggy garden for about five years and I have twice mangled it with the strimmer and yet it still works perfectly for Freesat. There are even holes where the rain has been getting in, yet the box hasn't dipped from 90% signal strength and quality since day one.

Funny how the only times I've had picture breakup has been when the grass has overgrown the dish! :D

I admit that if you were buying new cable to do it from scratch you might invest in something better, but he already has the RG6.

But we don't know how much interference you are creating, output level of your LNB, the margin on your reception and how much you are "Ok" because the GSM 900, 1800, 3G 2100 and DECT 1900 signals are low enough. Or even which RG6 cable you have.

You'll certainly need to replace it as it corrodes. Coax can't cope with wet. Have you checked every transponder with a test meter? Especially the Eurobird ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

its foam filled? wouldnt this be as good as the WF100 foam filled or is it completly different
    perhaps watty can you give us a laymans translation of the terms used on the cable -
    "1.0 ccs + 4.6F PE +AL Foil +AL Braiding"
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Diameter of the core + diameter of the foam + aluminium foil + aluminium braiding

Al foil and braid = Cheap poor quality.
    You need copper foil and braid. Also you must not be able to see the inner foil (or insulation if foil cracked and pulled out) AT ALL thorough the braid.

There are many types of Foam.
    WF100 foam is crush resistant, low loss dielectric at 2GHz and Hydrophobic (repels moisture).

Cheaper foams can be any mix of bad properties:
    Delectric good only for 150MHz, 600MHz
    Easily crushed and doesn't spring back
    Even Hydrophilic (wicks up moisture and performance degrades badly over a year or so)

Aluminium braid / foil sets up an electrochemical reaction with Copper to accelerate corrosion. The Braid also rots as unlike Alloy sheet it's too fine to get a stabilising film of oxide. It turns into a ceramic powder.

Aluminium is much poorer than Gold as a conductor which is poorer than copper. Only pure real Silver beats copper among "normal" materials.

Aluminium (Al) is for cheapness of indoor only TV cable up to 600MHz or 700MHz or very short indoor runs up to 850MHz. Satellite feed is 950MHz to 2100MHz.

its foam filled? wouldnt this be as good as the WF100 foam filled or is it completly different
    perhaps watty can you give us a laymans translation of the terms used on the cable -
    "1.0 ccs + 4.6F PE +AL Foil +AL Braiding"
    thanks

Completely different. Would do only for loft TV aerial (Direct drop above wall point). But WF100 or PF100 would be better.

Hi watty, my satellite cable has had a few holes in it for the last two winters. I'm sure the inside of the cable is pretty damp if the corrosion around the holes is anything to go by, yet it still works. :D

In fairness, no I haven't checked every transponder, but there isn't a channel on the Freesat box that doesn't work.

When it does finally break, I'll replace it with some WF100 in a duct. I'm actually as surprised as you are that it does work. I only put it in because I had the cable lying about and I didn't want to wait on new cable coming from ebay, so I just sort of cut a groove in the grass with a spade and poked the cable in with a stick.

I've also got about 50 metres of 8-core burglar alarm wire running outside the house carrying Gigabit LAN (tested for curiosity, gets about 800 Mbps throughput). :D

Does the conductivity of aluminium / copper matter much at satellite IF frequencies? From what I've read, the difference in attenuation is about 20 dB/100m for WF100 and 21.5 db/100m for RG6. Not really much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

ackd that cable will do the job .Some people try to make a science out of a simple sat install,Half the countrys installs are connected onto existing cableing in attics whith no problems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    . . . that cable will do the job .Some people try to make a science out of a simple sat install,Half the countrys installs are connected onto existing cableing in attics whith no problems

Rubbish, this forum is full of threads started by people with problems caused by just those kinds of installations.

From what I've read, the difference in attenuation is about 20 dB/100m for WF100 and 21.5 db/100m for RG6. Not really much of a difference.

Where and what frequency? What screening isolation in and out in dB? That's a meaningless statement.
    As I said earlier there is NO SUCH THING as "plain RG6" it's all RG6-"something". You can get a copper/copper/copper/copper (core centre, core surface, foil, braid) "RG6-something" identical to WF100 with a particular part number from Belden. RG6 as a family just means a particular size of 75 Ohm Coax, says nothing about quality. I'm not surprised when badly damaged poor cable works. I never said I was. A domestic receiver won't tell you the problems you have, or are creating for other spectrum users.

If installing you do it properly. Your time is important and irreplaceable. Intermittent issues are nasty to track down and bad cables creates problems to non-satellite users of RF.

RG6 doesn't specify a cable type. It specifies a family of coax cable of 75 Ohm with a 1mm inner conductor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Some people try to make a science out of a simple sat install,

Must disagree theres lots of science involved and to say a sat install is simple tells me a lot about your experience of doing same. How exactly do you know about "half the country's installs" ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

In fairness, bulbs2010 has a point. Not so long ago there was a heated debate on the correct torque to use to put on F-type connectors.

(seriously, there really was :( )

In fairness, bulbs2010 has a point.

Again I must disagree, this is nothing but a half baked assumption (by bulbs) with no evidence to back it up
    .Half the countrys installs are connected onto existing cableing in attics whith no problems

Since the OP already has the cable then it makes sense to try it out assuming A. The run is not over 20 to 25m and is not too difficult

B. The RG6 is of decent quality with low enough loss and decent shielding.

• Advertisement

Aluminium braid version of RG6 is usually the next to worst kind. The worst version is copper plated steel inner core, aluminium braid that is loose and metallised plastic instead of foil.

The Aluminium versions just don't last at all outdoor. I've had "decent" RG6 in my possession, but most I've seen is only indoor TV aerial drop cable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

Tony wrote: »
    Must disagree theres lots of science involved and to say a sat install is simple tells me a lot about your experience of doing same. How exactly do you know about "half the country's installs" ?
    I am an electrician who served my time in irish cable and wire ,then I worked as a service engineer whith cmi cable tv,then chorus and upc for 15 years ,for the past 4 years I install sky and tv repair in a tv shop

I am an electrician who served my time in irish cable and wire ,then I worked as a service engineer whith cmi cable tv,then chorus and upc for 15 years ,for the past 4 years I install sky and tv repair in a tv shop

Good for you but whats your point ? Your statement about "half the country's installs " is based on what exactly?

I wonder is it just coincidence that every time I've encountered the wrong cable being installed as part of a house build or renovation its an electrician that has done it ?

Or that the worst parts of UPC's network are the ex-chorus / CMI parts. A lot of MMDS downleads even done with generic so called "RG59". I get VHF band interference from next door's MMDS downlead as it's some kind of Rubbish version of "RG6". But I suspect UPC doesn't know and didn't install it.

Cable TV in the past barely used above 470MHz. UPC has brought Cable TV into the UHF band. Satellite IF on coax is 950MHz to 2100MHz.

Maybe half the Country's Installs are poor. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Half the countrys installs are connected onto existing cableing in attics whith no problems

Like this one?

It would seem that no one here is actually a professor of high frequency electronics.

Bunch of amateurs. :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And an installer who does pretty crap jobs, if you think using the "existing cabling" (often antique and cheap at the time) is suitable.

Something which works on the dry day you installed it on isn't guaranteed to work in the wet, when there's leaves on the trees, etc, if you've used crap cables.

Alu braid/foil is crap cables.

If your unprofessional over cables, what other corners get cut?

MYOB wrote: »
    If your unprofessional over cables, what other corners get cut?

He probably doesn't use oxygen free copper. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Tony wrote: »
    Since the OP already has the cable then it makes sense to try it out assuming

A. The run is not over 20 to 25m and is not too difficult

B. The RG6 is of decent quality with low enough loss and decent shielding.

C. He doesn't mind replacing it after a year or so because it will deteriorate quickly outdoors unless very well protected. (Run it inside a waterproof conduit or give it several thick coats of paint and make sure the connections are properly weather proofed.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭BuzzG

How about RG6U High Performance 2.25 GHz Digital Cable 013M? Have that myself. How does that rate?

Advertisement