Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO) - Page 45 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-05-2012, 10:48   #661
delricyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciefacey View Post
Got hr email but I'm no longer interested in the positions. Will someone be bumped up the list to take my place?
Not sure. But it can't do any harm to reply to say you are no longer interested. Someone else might get a chance at it !
Advertisement
21-05-2012, 10:53   #662
delricyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside88 View Post
Very confused now! I was told a number of weeks ago that I was ranked 117 in the hr sub campaign and that the first 100 were through to the next stage. Then at 23:22 tonight I got an email from public jobs with an application form for stage 3 to be returned by 23rd may. Anyone else get this? Bit of a strange time to send such correspondence no?
I ranked early 200s and got the stage 3 form too. First 100 may not have been adequately experienced or dropped out for other sub campaigns. Take it as good news. We are still in with a shot.
This is great news for the people involved. Now the people who passed the tests are at least being given a chance to submit an application. From past experience it is annoying when are arent even given a chance to sell yourself.

Hopefully they will extend the same offer to the people further down on tax policy
21-05-2012, 16:34   #663
anbodhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelyn23 View Post
Me too, its such a pain just waiting.

I wonder does this mean that a lot of the top 100 that completed stage 3 are not suitable? Or it may mean there are more jobs than first thought?!
The former I'd imagine. A lot of people seemed to be applying for areas where they had no experience working in, so lets say 20% of people did that and created 20 places.

However, if they are delving into people who scored in the 200's (not being critical of those people btw - the scoring system is all over the place) you'd wonder if there are more jobs available. To go from first only considering 100 people to considering 200+ people is quite a jump.
21-05-2012, 19:42   #664
phoenix999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delricyo View Post
This is great news for the people involved. Now the people who passed the tests are at least being given a chance to submit an application. From past experience it is annoying when are arent even given a chance to sell yourself.

Hopefully they will extend the same offer to the people further down on tax policy
Well let's hope they will extend the limit for all outstanding sub-campaigns, even if it's to just to give everyone a level playing pitch. I think the key is to really sell yourself on the form. I put down everything bar the kitchen sink. I spent two full days on it. I just hope it's all not an exercise in futility!

Last edited by phoenix999; 21-05-2012 at 21:18.
23-05-2012, 11:12   #665
phoenix999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbodhran View Post
The former I'd imagine. A lot of people seemed to be applying for areas where they had no experience working in, so lets say 20% of people did that and created 20 places.

However, if they are delving into people who scored in the 200's (not being critical of those people btw - the scoring system is all over the place) you'd wonder if there are more jobs available. To go from first only considering 100 people to considering 200+ people is quite a jump.
It looks like there is also a new HR unit being established. This story is running in the press today:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...m-3116947.html
Advertisement
23-05-2012, 11:43   #666
Pawwed Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix999 View Post
It looks like there is also a new HR unit being established. This story is running in the press today:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...m-3116947.html

maybe it will speed up the recruitment process next time
23-05-2012, 13:03   #667
anbodhran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawwed Rig View Post
maybe it will speed up the recruitment process next time
In fairness to Howlin & Co, they seem to be trying to make the service more professional, efficient, and more in line with the private sector.

No mention of extra jobs in the unit. I did spot a posting a while back for a manager of such a unit, but I suppose there must be some additional HR jobs available as a result.
23-05-2012, 14:19   #668
tricky@

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbodhran View Post
In fairness to Howlin & Co, they seem to be trying to make the service more professional, efficient, and more in line with the private sector.

No mention of extra jobs in the unit. I did spot a posting a while back for a manager of such a unit, but I suppose there must be some additional HR jobs available as a result.
Just routed through some old vacancy/secondment work emails... in February this year Dept of Public Expentiture were looking for 6 existing civil servants (2 assistant principals, 3 HEO/AO's and 1 EO) to be seconded for 2 years in order to set up this unit.

Just sent off my stage 3 application for the HR subcompetition with 5 minutes to spare before the deadline so hopefully I'll be joining them there someday
24-05-2012, 16:57   #669
Who_8_Paul?

2 interesting links for those still following this competition:

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?...2-05-22.1085.0

http://per.gov.ie/2012/05/22/governm...-centre-hrssc/

I know the 2nd one has already been highlighted but this may have more info
Advertisement
24-05-2012, 19:01   #670
phoenix999
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_8_Paul? View Post

Well it's certainly looking good for the Economics people.
25-05-2012, 10:21   #671
nehemiah

Quote:

I'm assuming that the 29 jobs mentioned in the first link is just for the Department of Public Expenditure rather than across the Civil Service.

I can't imagine much need there for law graduates (my sub-category ). I'd assume the legal AO jobs would be in Justice or Foreign Affairs.
26-05-2012, 09:49   #672
Who_8_Paul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehemiah View Post
Quote:

I'm assuming that the 29 jobs mentioned in the first link is just for the Department of Public Expenditure rather than across the Civil Service.

I can't imagine much need there for law graduates (my sub-category ). I'd assume the legal AO jobs would be in Justice or Foreign Affairs.
I'd say Justice, Taoiseachs and maybe Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. Maybe not Foreign Affairs, they have a department specific AO grade - 3rd Secretary, which there is very limited recruitment to every 3 or 4 years or thereabouts, probably less now since I think our foreign development aid budget has been cut. Those posts are probably the single most difficult to get in the entire civil service too, I guess they have a glamour appeal. I think the Public Expenditure and Reform posts are mainly economics and also a few HR and Accountancy posts too. The HR shared services project is under them too, so obviously that's where quite a few HR posts will be created.

PS to all the economics applicants, PAS advertised a chief economist role to head the new Economic Division in Dept Finance yesterday; I think this bodes well for the AO economist stream in that it now runs right to the top (Assistant Secretary grade). I think we are finally getting ourselves in shape ala the Government Economic Service in the UK, albeit on a smaller scale.

Last edited by Who_8_Paul?; 27-05-2012 at 22:45.
27-05-2012, 21:37   #673
lord_lucan

Does anyone know the number of places expected for each sub campaign?
The only one where there is any indication of numbers is Economics.
My guesses are approximately
Economics: 17 because it specifies in article
Banking/Finance: 10 as Sec gen indicated they were very short staffed but still is only single department
Tax: 5 as very specific role
HR, Law and Accounting would be needed across all departments so would probably be up around the 15 mark each.
This gives a total of around 75 so for anyone who has previously gone through the AO application process would this be far to high for a single campaign or would you expect more/less than above figures in each of the sub campaigns.
28-05-2012, 09:27   #674
Lockstep
Boondock Saint

Got an email saying that Law applications will be done in the next few weeks with interviews etc being defined from then on.

Shame for me as that pretty much rules me out of the competition.
28-05-2012, 12:08   #675
OBSC

Was that this morning Lockstep? Haven't gotten anything yet.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion