Some creepy stories - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-01-2012, 21:18   #1
Artur Foden

Some creepy stories

I think this count's as a link so I will post it here.
Did a search but would not be surprised if this is a repost so apologies if it is.

They are a series of creepy stories from a reddit section called r/nosleep
As the name implies the idea is to post creepy stories etc.

I won't explain what happens but I beg you to read the first part at the very least. It's extremely well written and terrifying, and not from a professional author. Nonetheless some of the parts had me in tears and I was generally left feeling uneasy.

They are a long read but well worth it if you enjoy stories generally, and scary stories. All six parts will occupy you for an hour or so total

Enough hyperbole. Here are the parts.

Part 1. Footsteps
Part 2. Balloons
Part 3. Boxes
Part 4. Maps
Part 5. Screens
Part 6. Friends

Here is the first couple of paragraphs of part one as a taster:

Quote:
In a quiet room if you press your ear against a pillow you can hear your heartbeat. As a kid, the muffled, rhythmic beats sounded like soft footsteps on a carpeted floor, and so as a kid almost every night – just as I was about to drift off to sleep – I would hear these footsteps and I would be ripped back to consciousness, terrified.

For my entire childhood I lived with my mother in a fairly nice neighborhood that was in a transitional phase – people of lower economic means were gradually moving in, and my mother and I were two of these people. We lived in the kind of house you see being transported in two pieces on the interstate, but my mom took good care of it. There were a lot of woods surrounding the neighborhood that I would play in and explore during the day, but at night – as things often do to a kid – they took on a more sinister feeling. This coupled with the fact that, due to the nature of our house, there was a fairly large crawlspace underneath filled my mind with imaginary monsters and inescapable scenarios which would consume my thoughts when I was awoken by the footsteps.

I told my mom about the footsteps and she said that I was just imagining things; I persisted enough that she blasted my ears with water from a turkey baster once just to placate me, since I thought that would help. Of course it didn’t. Despite all the creepiness and footsteps the only weird thing that ever happened was that every now and then I would wake up on the bottom bunk despite having gone to sleep on the top, but this wasn’t really weird since I’d sometimes get up to piss or get something to drink and could remember just going back to sleep on the bottom bunk (I’m an only child so it didn’t matter). This would happen once or twice a week, but waking up on the bottom bunk wasn’t too terrifying. But one night I didn’t wake up on the bottom bunk.
Hope it's appropriate and would be happy to be corrected if this is a repost. I just had to share to be honest.
Advertisement
21-01-2012, 22:44   #2
.SONIC.
Closed Account

wow, extremely eerie. not good to read when home alone :/ it gave me quite a lot of goosebumps
22-01-2012, 10:49   #3
phill106

I am reading through them now, jeez they are dark!
22-01-2012, 15:15   #4
bad2dabone

cool stories! scary!!
22-01-2012, 15:31   #5
af_thefragile

Its really well written.

Reminds me of my junior school days when I used to read lots of Goosebumps books and write lots of crazy stories as such for my english essays...

P.S. Is that a real story? The way yer man is talking in the comments below makes it sound like it really happened to him...
Advertisement
22-01-2012, 16:13   #6
kylith

Jesus Christ!
22-01-2012, 16:21   #7
CatFromHue

Here is one I read that I thought was pretty good.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html
23-01-2012, 00:42   #8
Artur Foden

Quote:
Originally Posted by af_thefragile View Post
P.S. Is that a real story? The way yer man is talking in the comments below makes it sound like it really happened to him...
I'm not sure. I think the first part might be a real experience but I don't know how much of it is true. He seems to stop mentioning that it's reality in the last three or so parts so I'm guessing (hoping) that it's fake
23-01-2012, 01:07   #9
af_thefragile

Finished reading the whole thing and it was heavy stuff. I was close to tears myself at the end of "screens" and "friends". He developed the characters really well from their introduction till the end.

This guy really has a talent for writing gripping stories. That story would really make an amazing film or even an amazing novel.

Makes me want to start writing stories again but college keeps me wayy too occupied in these final years.

Last edited by af_thefragile; 23-01-2012 at 01:10.
Advertisement
23-01-2012, 01:45   #10
Artur Foden

Quote:
Originally Posted by af_thefragile View Post
Finished reading the whole thing and it was heavy stuff. I was close to tears myself at the end of "screens" and "friends". He developed the characters really well from their introduction till the end.

This guy really has a talent for writing gripping stories. That story would really make an amazing film or even an amazing novel.
agreed! the best short story ive read in a while

Quote:
Makes me want to start writing stories again but college keeps me wayy too occupied in these final years.
If it's not rude to ask what sort of stories did you write? If you have any saved I'd love to read them!
23-01-2012, 02:15   #11
Junco Partner

Last edited by Junco Partner; 23-01-2012 at 03:15.
(4) thanks from:
23-01-2012, 03:20   #12
alwaysadub

They were good! Had planned on just reading the first one and leaving the rest till tomorrow but couldn't stop reading right till the end.
23-01-2012, 03:32   #13
WoollyRedHat

I'll be lying awake and listening to footsteps after reading that. Chilling stuff.
23-01-2012, 21:49   #14
af_thefragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur Foden View Post

If it's not rude to ask what sort of stories did you write? If you have any saved I'd love to read them!
I wrote all sorts of **** but this was predominantly back in my school days. Mostly about running away from baddies who were out to kill you n stuff. The last story I wrote was for my leaving cert english exam.

I always loved writing stories and used to read a lot because back in those days cuz firstly I didn't have a computer to distract me and when I did get a computer, it was only a crappy laptop and I didn't spend much time on it.

Now I have a few good ideas and plots that I've developed for writing some stories/novel but due to college and my complete lack of creative writing skills, I haven't managed to actually write anything proper.

Anyway, if ye guys have more such stories I'ld love it if ye could post them cuz I really love reading stuff like this!
Thanks from:
24-01-2012, 00:28   #15
Buddinplant

*whimpers*

Just read these...

I will now be forcing myself to watch a film/programme after making some coffee, cause all i really want to do is fly to my bedroom, turn on all the lights, dive undercover and await the dawn!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion